Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Berry Aviation

Old 03-04-2021, 06:13 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2020
Position: Big & Comfy

Not sour grapes. I just quit from there and can vouch on most of that stuff. After Acorn it is an entirely different company and not at all worth your time or sanity. If you just wanna build time and never be home, go for it. Averaged 5.5 days home for the past 6 months. You're doing 12-16 hour days with 10 hours rest on the regular. Day in, night out. I was miserable to say the least.
Old 03-06-2021, 04:34 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2020

Originally Posted by nowheretobefoun View Post
Do not go to berry

i have it first hand from a friend that they have taken a dive

they steal your paid time off
they force you to sleep in the plane
they force you to fly without food
they punish and fire you if you get hurt on the job
there dispatch is absusive to the pilots
morale is at an all time low
they rewrite the rules with no notice or input
they are trying to run off the guys on the high end of the pay scale

4 captains have left in the last 3 months another got fired for a very minor mistake and the fos are a revolving door

used to be a great place to work but no longer is

management is taking advantage of the labor market and putting the screws to the pilots
How do they force you to fly without food?
Old 03-11-2021, 06:06 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2020
Position: Big & Comfy

2 accidents now in six months with about 8 pilots quitting/fired in the last 2 months. Use your best judgement
Old 03-12-2021, 05:51 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2021

Originally Posted by Diverb View Post
Does Berry still have the contract for Kwajalein Atoll ? I know they like dual rated guys for position. I did not see it listed on Berry's website. I worked out on Kwajalein back in 2002 and would like to return out there for a year or two as soon as I retire from the G
Yes they are still operating out there and yes, require you to be dual rated. I don't have any additional information about the ops out there or if/when they might be hiring. It was on their website last year as an open position so I'm sure they would post it again when they need to fill a spot.
Old 03-15-2021, 06:48 PM
On Reserve

Originally Posted by Released View Post
2 accidents now in six months with about 8 pilots quitting/fired in the last 2 months. Use your best judgement
This is just what you see on the outside, what seems like hyperbole is fact. Friends who work there have told me they have applications out everywhere and several have downgraded to previous jobs just to get out.
Old 03-18-2021, 03:18 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Default Open Positions

Whether the previous statements are founded or not, those looking for a job can check out their website; shows several opportunities for both Capt & FO on the cargo side.
Old 04-19-2021, 11:25 AM
New Hire

Joined APC: Apr 2021

Originally Posted by nowheretobefoun View Post
Do not go to berry

i have it first hand from a friend that they have taken a dive

they steal your paid time off
they force you to sleep in the plane
they force you to fly without food
they punish and fire you if you get hurt on the job
there dispatch is absusive to the pilots
morale is at an all time low
they rewrite the rules with no notice or input
they are trying to run off the guys on the high end of the pay scale

4 captains have left in the last 3 months another got fired for a very minor mistake and the fos are a revolving door

used to be a great place to work but no longer is

management is taking advantage of the labor market and putting the screws to the pilots

Wow, this sounds too terrible to be true! How has this company been in existence for almost 40 years, paying the VERY high pilot salaries that they pay? Did your “friend” provide any context for these seemingly impossible to believe statements? Or are we talking to one very inept, and disgruntled pilot?

No one was forced to sleep in a plane. There was an act of god in Texas that shut down the whole state - a severe winter storm. The crew came from Mexico and had to clear customs. There was no way to get fuel, so the crew was stuck. Dispatch could only find a couple of hotels in the whole Rio Grande Valley of Texas and the captain refused them because they weren't the standard "Hampton Inn or better." The dispatcher even offered for the crew to sleep at his brothers’ house in McAllen, to which the captain also refused. He made the executive decision to sleep in the plane. Said captain quit aviation entirely right afterwards.

No one knows what “force you to fly without food” means. Sounds like your “friend” expected crew meals at this cargo job?

It’s highly illegal to punish or fire someone for being hurt on the job. The last pilot to get hurt on the job collected his COMPANY PAID disability until he quit.

They are trying to run off the guys on the high end of the pay scale? You clearly were fed some bad info. Berry is notorious for retaining their talent very long term. There is a captain that’s been with the company for over 20 years, he has his own pay scale he’s been there so long. The CP was the first pilot for the company - in 1983. The DO and President were part of the company in 1983 too. “Trying to run off the high end of the pay scale” is absolutely laughable.

Do guys get fired? Sure. Some pilots can be inept. When you couple that with bending metal on 2 million dollar airplanes you typically lose your job. Welcome to aviation.

“4 captains have left in the last 3 months” is an endorsement of the job more than anything. 3 of those went to ATI, flying 757/767 and one went to FlexJet. The job is a stepping stone to bigger and better things. Everyone, including the management at Berry, acknowledges this. No one expects you to fly on-demand cargo, all night, until you're 65. Berry likes pilots to come on, upgrade after a year or so, and fly as captain for 2-3 years. Works for pilots too, get experience, upgrade, get 1000+ TPIC and move on to greener pastures. Your "friend" apparently didn't get the memo, and was shocked when he had to work a lot.

It’s a tough cargo job flying transport category turboprops. You are on call, and when it’s busy you work a LOT. After this pandemic Berry has been insanely busy, and they are just now catching up on re-staffing to normal levels. Sometimes it’s slow and you hardly fly (which sounds like the type of job your “friend” was looking for.) Pilots DO make plenty of money. $60-$70k for first year FOs and $120k+ for captains -- not typical pay for a company that has such endemic problems as your “friend” claims.

Something doesn’t add up with your attempt to bash a part-135 cargo company so vehemently. On demand cargo is a tough industry, and it isn’t for everyone. Do things go wrong sometimes in aviation? Sure. Can such a toxic airline exist for almost 40 years, paying their employees that well, if even half the things your “friend” claims are true? No chance.
Old 11-09-2021, 02:44 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Default Hiring FO's

For those who might be looking for a job, Berry is hiring FO's for their Akron-Canton, OH base (CAK). Preferred TT is 750 with 50ME. On Demand Cargo is feast/famine style where you get your butt kicked at times but the pay is commensurate for the work; especially for an entry level job.
Like all companies, there are people that like it (or tolerate it, lol) and some that hated it. Read thru past comments and/or ask questions.
Old 11-15-2021, 03:17 PM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Mar 2019

Originally Posted by arbalist1 View Post
Is there still a contract for Kwajalein. I remember seeing an opening there a couple years ago, but I didn't meet the requirements yet. It would be awesome if something opened up again in the future.
Berry is still at Kwaj. If you have any questions, let me know.
Old 12-11-2021, 07:47 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2014
Position: CRJ Left/Right

Hey Spif

Saw a add on 350 for Kwaj posting... Hold dual ATP RW/FW but no type on EC145 or SA 227... Will they type you before deployment or deploy you as a Cpl privileges??? Are the aircraft N reg or Public Use airframes...

Thanks for the info...

Cheers