Search
Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Alaska Seaplanes

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2019, 07:30 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2007

If you’ve ever lived west of Anchorage, calling Juneau “off the road” is pretty freaking hilarious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-06-2019, 09:48 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2017

Originally Posted by TallFlyer View Post
If you’ve ever lived west of Anchorage, calling Juneau “off the road” is pretty freaking hilarious.

I mean, it is. Hell, it's easier to get out of Bethel than it is Juneau in the winter. If you're born and raised in Juneau it's great, but it can be tough getting out reliably if you need to head outside for a family emergency 2500 miles away.
Old 07-06-2019, 09:49 PM
On Reserve

Joined APC: May 2018

No it's not. It literally is off the road system. But I'd love to hear your reasoning.
Old 07-07-2019, 07:41 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by Toddzilla View Post
I mean, it is. Hell, it's easier to get out of Bethel than it is Juneau in the winter. If you're born and raised in Juneau it's great, but it can be tough getting out reliably if you need to head outside for a family emergency 2500 miles away.
When the wrong volcano goes off you've just described all of AK. Living in AK (I did it for 8 years) rquires a certain amount of sacrifice if you're not from there. Back in the day when I was young and broke with no JS privileges I went far longer than I should have not seeing any family. Just comes with the territory.
Old 07-07-2019, 07:45 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by juglord420 View Post
No it's not. It literally is off the road system. But I'd love to hear your reasoning.
Sure, any place you can drive to Costco, Fred Meyer, Home Depot, real restaurants, etc, and not pay bush prices (you ever go grocery shopping west of Anchorage?), and bring a decent vehicle in and out on a whim any time you want, well, that aint exactly "off the road" in the same way you'd experience life in BET, DLG, AKN, OME, OTZ, etc, etc, etc.....
Old 07-08-2019, 12:30 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2017

When the wrong volcano goes off you've just described all of AK. Living in AK (I did it for 8 years) rquires a certain amount of sacrifice if you're not from there. Back in the day when I was young and broke with no JS privileges I went far longer than I should have not seeing any family. Just comes with the territory.
Okay, so yes Juneau is off of the road system, tiny and ****ty Costco be damned.
Old 07-08-2019, 06:32 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by Toddzilla View Post
Okay, so yes Juneau is off of the road system, tiny and ****ty Costco be damned.
You've obviously never been shopping at an AC Store.
Old 07-08-2019, 08:18 AM
On Reserve

You've obviously never been shopping at an AC Store.
I literally work somewhere right now where the only stores are AC. Hell that's been the case for 4 of the last 5 years.

You seem confused about the difference between "off the road" and "bush town". Nobody is arguing that JNU is as podunk as like Bethel or St. Mary's. But it's still off the road system and features many of the same annoyances.
Old 07-08-2019, 08:55 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by juglord420 View Post
I literally work somewhere right now where the only stores are AC. Hell that's been the case for 4 of the last 5 years.

You seem confused about the difference between "off the road" and "bush town". Nobody is arguing that JNU is as podunk as like Bethel or St. Mary's. But it's still off the road system and features many of the same annoyances.
Really not confused about it at all, but having spent a year there, I just think that telling someone looking into a seasonal job in JNU that they really need to be concerned about the fact that you can't drive out is wildly overstating the difficulties of life in JNU.

And I've never heard anything called "bush town" when I was up there. If you want to say "the bush," that's the more common usage, unless you're talking about "The Bush Company," then that's a whole other animal......
Old 07-08-2019, 08:58 AM
On Reserve

Really not confused about it at all, but having spent a year there, I just think that telling someone looking into a seasonal job in JNU that they really need to be concerned about the fact that you can't drive out is wildly overstating the difficulties of life in JNU.

And I've never heard anything called "bush town" when I was up there. If you want to say "the bush," that's the more common usage, unless you're talking about "The Bush Company," then that's a whole other animal......
Seasonal job, maybe, those tend to be light on days off anyway (not sure what Seaplanes is offering). But it's definitely worth noting if someone is going to move there.

Difference being you can go off the road system many places for two weeks at a time and then have two weeks off and live basically anywhere. That's my preference. Working these jobs you're basically at work all the time anyway, so the lack of amenities doesn't really bother me.