Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Check ride confusion

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2018, 12:12 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2005
Position: Still Swinging props!
Default Check ride confusion

Ok, I've got all kinds of regs from various corners of aviation doing their best to confuse me. I'm throwing this out there, maybe someone has recent first hand experience in the following:

Going from one King Air 135 to another. The operation I'm going into has no training dept, only outside vendor options. A ground instructor is on staff, and can sign off the basic indoc ground stuff. Here's the question:

What does a pilot need to take a checkride with the FAA, if he's coming through the door with a fresh 135.293/.297/.299 from another 135, on the same aircraft, from a prior company?

Thanks. I've looked and read and I'm using a lifeline.
Old 01-22-2018, 12:16 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2011
Position: CA

Originally Posted by Frozen Ronin View Post
Ok, I've got all kinds of regs from various corners of aviation doing their best to confuse me. I'm throwing this out there, maybe someone has recent first hand experience in the following:

Going from one King Air 135 to another. The operation I'm going into has no training dept, only outside vendor options. A ground instructor is on staff, and can sign off the basic indoc ground stuff. Here's the question:

What does a pilot need to take a checkride with the FAA, if he's coming through the door with a fresh 135.293/.297/.299 from another 135, on the same aircraft, from a prior company?

I believe you need training under the new companies op specs since they vary from company to company. Not sure if that's what you're asking
Old 01-22-2018, 12:48 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2005
Position: Still Swinging props!
Default Checkride confusion

Say again,

The company specific stuff (GOM/OP spec) is covered under ground training. More to the story, I did flight training/checkride on another airframe for this new company. While they do have training provisions for the smaller airframe, they do not for the King Air. So the company specific stuff was completed during that first ride~ not sure if that makes any difference.

But now I need a ride (probably from the FAA) for the new outfit in their King Air. I have a fresh checkride (also from the FAA) from the outfit I left, in the same type of King Air.... but does it apply? Will the new POI expect a "trained to proficiency" endorsement or completion certificate from an outside vendor for recurrent KA training?

It makes sense to me that since my last training event was an FAA administered .293/.297 a month ago, in the same aircraft type, I would be able to take another FAA administered checkride on the same aircraft type for a new operator. But common sense isn't so common. I'm confused. Careful, it's contagious.

Since the government is shut down, there's no answer at the FSDO. LOL. Guess I'll have to wait for tomorrow, get the straight scoop from the POI.

Any ideas?
Old 01-22-2018, 01:01 PM
Banned

Joined APC: Jan 2013

Why are you having to figure this out? Have your company ask your POI and go from there.

From my recollection you should only need a .293 and .299 as long as your .297 is current (which it is), however you will just need another .297 sooner if you don't complete it. Why not just do a .293 .297 .299 and be done with it?
Old 01-23-2018, 01:26 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2005

Originally Posted by Frozen Ronin View Post

Assuming the company has no check airmen, the company needs to give you a 135.293(a) check. This is company specific event and the ground instructor may be authorized to give it or the DO can. A training provider, when approved by the FAA can give you a 135.293(b) and a 135.297 check. The FAA would have to give you your 135.299 line check.

So assuming you were current with your former employer, you’d need a 135.293(a) from your company. Your 135.293(b) and your 135.297 are good from your old company and I’m not sure if your 135.299 would transfer from the other company, but I think it does not and is company specific. It would have to be given by the FAA assuming the company has no line check airmen approved by the FAA.

Last edited by jonnyjetprop; 01-23-2018 at 01:37 PM.
Old 01-23-2018, 01:58 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2008
Position: JAFO- First Observer

You can get credit for some, but not all training received at Company A for Company B, provided the training is essentially the same and has been reviewed and approved by Company B’s Part 119 personnel and approved by the POI. Aircraft systems, some general subjects like regs and wx could be essentially the same. A differences module may need to be completed. Basic Indoc subjects, SOP, Checklists, W&B, Forms and OpSpecs could be vastly different. Read up on it in FSIMS, FAA Order 8900.1, Volume 3, Chapter 20. It also depends on what the OpSpecs say, particularly A001, A004 and A031 paragraphs. You must pass the requiiste proficiency and competency checks under Company B. Let the company and POI sort it out!