Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

How do I get into Part 135?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2007, 07:35 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2006
Position: 320 right side

Originally Posted by VTcharter View Post
Actually, just because you are sitting in the right seat, by no way means that you are just talking on the radio and pushing buttons. For instance, at my company, we trade legs just like you would in any airline or multi pilot crew environment. I agree with you that flight instructing, and other single pilot type positions can be good experience, but to say that flying right seat is not as good is a bit short sided. Just because you are an instructor does not make you a super pilot, and simply because you tow banners around or can fly vfr sightseeing without bouncing off of the rocks does not qualify you either. I believe that there is a great deal to be gained from having the experience of flying around with an experienced individual in the other seat. Perhaps we should lose the "I did it this way, and therefore it is the only way things should be done" attitude that seems all to popular in this industry.
Hold on VT, before jumping to conclusions, maybe I should clarify a little. First off YES I agree that the right seater MAY not be just a button pusher, and I am sorry if I offended anyone. There are some companies that DO use a right seater to do the radio and preflight though... Secondly companies want to see PIC time. weather it is CFI, or whatever, PIC time is very important. on the same hand Turbojet PIC time is even more important, and if you can upgrade in a timely manner than that may be the route to go. I never meant to imply the "I did it this way, and therefore it is the only way things should be done" as its NOT the way I did things. I went right from a CFII to flying a baron 135 single pilot. I think that going right to a single pilot job, helps you learn what you were taught, and not just follow what your capt. is doing. Absolutely there is a lot to be gained from an experienced captain, but there is quite a bit if not more to be gained from making the decisions yourself. BTW our company swaps legs and seats, so we get time doing the best of both worlds. Hope I didn't offend you, I am just stating my opinion as you were stating yours.
Old 04-02-2007, 09:04 PM
Flying Farmer

Joined APC: Jul 2006
Position: Turbo-props' and John Deere's

Bah, I say ban'm! There is to be no differing thoughts!!!!! BWHAHAHAHA

Ok, just messing. I love my single-pilot 135. Freedom anyone?
Old 04-03-2007, 06:35 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2006

Not offended at all, just saying that there is a lot of attitude out there, especially in the airline world, that if you weren't an instructor for ten years, you didn't do it right.

VT