Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Gama Aviation/Wheels up pay scales

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2018, 06:19 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2015
Position: Left

Originally Posted by PilotSam View Post
I received an email from from Gama Aviation indicating a 2500 hr multi engine min requirement for captain ..... seems high to me is this correct. I currently have 3970 TT, 3050 PIC, 1700 ME, 2550 Turbin and I do nor qualify for a captain position ....hummmmm!
Plenty of regionals hiring... Go fly an E175 at Republic, Skywest or Envoy instead.
Old 06-25-2018, 06:41 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2013

I received an email from from Gama Aviation indicating a 2500 hr multi engine min requirement for captain ..... seems high to me is this correct. I currently have 3970 TT, 3050 PIC, 1700 ME, 2550 Turbin and I do nor qualify for a captain position ....hummmmm!
2500 multi for street captain. 1500 to upgrade after 12 months. You could accept an F.O. position for $55k and upgrade after 12 months, then you'd be on $94k.

Or you could go to a regional, commute to sit reserve in Newark or Detroit and spend your overnights at La Quinta.
Old 06-25-2018, 07:33 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2013

All driven by insurance and our Argus-Wyvern ratings.
Old 06-26-2018, 12:48 PM
VW Bus Driver

Joined APC: Oct 2006
Position: ERJ145XR

They really want new guys to have a little time in the right seat to learn the job, culture and get some experience with the aircraft/avionics. I sat right seat a year and felt it was a good experience. If you’re somewhat competent and not a jerk, you will upgrade in a year.
Old 06-26-2018, 02:00 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Apr 2015

One thing that new hires have to learn is the paperwork required for each flight and day. Its an eye opener if you haven't done it before. Along with who to call when admin problems pop up. Not to say someone with plenty of experience can't start in the left seat from the get go, but it can be a fire hose!
Old 06-26-2018, 04:47 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jun 2017

Originally Posted by phlying4fun View Post
One thing that new hires have to learn is the paperwork required for each flight and day. Its an eye opener if you haven't done it before. Along with who to call when admin problems pop up. Not to say someone with plenty of experience can't start in the left seat from the get go, but it can be a fire hose!
Is there at least time alotted for all that paperwork? Can you get it done while on duty?
Old 06-26-2018, 05:16 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by MikeBates View Post
Is there at least time alotted for all that paperwork? Can you get it done while on duty?
Yes. There is plenty of time to do the paperwork while on duty, as long as you develop a system and continue with it. Some guys aren't very good at managing their time. Once you get a rhythm, there will be times where you wonder what you are forgetting even though you have everything done.
Old 06-27-2018, 05:47 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2013

Originally Posted by MikeBates View Post
There's a new app that will be released once everyone has been issued their company iPhone, which will eliminate most of said paperwork. The expenses reports are simpler now too since the company switched vendors.

Still file your own flight plans though. The only time I find that time consuming is when there is weather along the proposed route that needs to be planned around.
Old 07-01-2018, 05:20 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2017

I appreciate all of the great info on this page! I have been looking into Wheels up for a while now but haven’t applied yet. I am a current 121 pilot pretty close to upgrade but the medical coverage at my carrier is forcing my wife to continue working so we can use her coverage. The out of pocket costs will eat up a huge part of my paycheck if I put my family on my coverage. We are expecting our first child any day now so I would like to have her not work here in the next few years if possible.

I have a few other questions, forgive me if they have been asked already in this thread or the others.

-Since you’re gone for 8 days at a time, do you find the time to knock out laundry on the road? Roughly how long are the overnights?

-On average, do you fly every day of the 8 days scheduled? Do you ever get airlined to different locations mid trip? Anytime at all to take in some sights here and there?

-How reliable is the King Air mx wise? Do you have a good amount of resources on the road if the plane does break down?

-Is medical really 100 percent covered for the family with no money coming out of your paycheck?

-Do you guys have EFB’s or are you still using paper charts? If you’re using EFB’s, is it a company paid IPAD or similar?

-What cell phone service do you go with as I’m sure you’re making many phone calls during the trip for various reasons? Does the company cover international calls if you don’t have an international plan?

-How is the King Air in icing? I fly a Q400 at the moment and icing is a non issue but I’ve flown a caravan before and icing could be an issue pretty quickly if it was heavy and that wasn’t a good time

-Are guys/gals moving on to LCC’s or major’s if they choose to go 121? Are people leaving for other 135 outfits? What is the main reason for attrition since the upgrade in pay and better schedules have come about?

-Are there many pilots coming from the regionals? Or would I be going against the flow of traffic?

-I noticed one person saying you get to keep the airline miles you rack up while the company pays for your tickets? How does that work? If you are allowed those miles, can you use that for your family as well, or is it strictly for you?

Thanks in advance for the answers, I am finding it hard to walk away from 121 as this is my second regional and there is a “pathway” program to our mainline partner but I have always wanted to fly the King Air and reading that things are improving I feel like I may enjoy that type of flying more. What I know I will enjoy is not stressing about a commute and being able to live where my family lives as it is within 2 hours of PDX.

Last edited by Fixnem2Flyinem; 07-01-2018 at 05:44 AM.
Old 07-01-2018, 07:20 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by Fixnem2Flyinem View Post
I appreciate all of the great info on this page! I have been looking into Wheels up for a while now but haven’t applied yet. I am a current 121 pilot pretty close to upgrade but the medical coverage at my carrier is forcing my wife to continue working so we can use her coverage. The out of pocket costs will eat up a huge part of my paycheck if I put my family on my coverage. We are expecting our first child any day now so I would like to have her not work here in the next few years if possible.

I have a few other questions, forgive me if they have been asked already in this thread or the others.

-Since you’re gone for 8 days at a time, do you find the time to knock out laundry on the road? Roughly how long are the overnights?

-On average, do you fly every day of the 8 days scheduled? Do you ever get airlined to different locations mid trip? Anytime at all to take in some sights here and there?

-How reliable is the King Air mx wise? Do you have a good amount of resources on the road if the plane does break down?

-Is medical really 100 percent covered for the family with no money coming out of your paycheck?

-Do you guys have EFB’s or are you still using paper charts? If you’re using EFB’s, is it a company paid IPAD or similar?

-What cell phone service do you go with as I’m sure you’re making many phone calls during the trip for various reasons? Does the company cover international calls if you don’t have an international plan?

-How is the King Air in icing? I fly a Q400 at the moment and icing is a non issue but I’ve flown a caravan before and icing could be an issue pretty quickly if it was heavy and that wasn’t a good time

-Are guys/gals moving on to LCC’s or major’s if they choose to go 121? Are people leaving for other 135 outfits? What is the main reason for attrition since the upgrade in pay and better schedules have come about?

-Are there many pilots coming from the regionals? Or would I be going against the flow of traffic?

-I noticed one person saying you get to keep the airline miles you rack up while the company pays for your tickets? How does that work? If you are allowed those miles, can you use that for your family as well, or is it strictly for you?

Thanks in advance for the answers, I am finding it hard to walk away from 121 as this is my second regional and there is a “pathway” program to our mainline partner but I have always wanted to fly the King Air and reading that things are improving I feel like I may enjoy that type of flying more. What I know I will enjoy is not stressing about a commute and being able to live where my family lives as it is within 2 hours of PDX.
Some guys do laundry, I don’t usually need to. Don’t count on having more than 10 hrs off.

It varies very fluid operation and whatever scheduling assigns is what you’ll do.

It’s fairly reliable. If it breaks, how to fix it is not our concern. We have a tremendous support staff.

Premiums are 100% covered by the company. Only pay if you actually use it, I.e. copay.

Company issued phones. Verizon. Don’t worry bout your own.

KingAir is fine in icing.

Either way. To each his own.

We keep all of our reward points for hotels, airlines. Use them as you wish. Company has no interest in them.

You’re making this too hard. If you want to WORK for a living and try 135, this is the best outfit. But you do your own flight planning, including performance, W&B, and fuel decisions. Ops is there for support. But the paperwork is on you.