Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Gama Aviation/Wheels up pay scales

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2019, 09:17 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2019

Originally Posted by Das Auto View Post
Day 8 travel. This has to be the biggest complaint among the pilot group. Our logistics dept. fails to grasp the concept that guys who have been on the road away from their families for 8 days are anxious to get home. It seems to be the accepted norm to book people on the worst flight home, often sitting at the airport for hours while watching earlier flights take off. Its the unforgivable sin to question their infinite wisdom.
I will attest to that. It kind of rough being in STL on day 8 trying to get home to DFW/DAL and finding your on an AA flight to DFW via CLT. There happens to be about 20 direct flights a day. I can’t help but wonder if this is a cost savings for GAMA or like you said a punishment?

Last edited by LLWS09R; 11-05-2019 at 09:30 AM.
Old 11-05-2019, 09:41 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2013

Maybe they just click on the 1st flight that pops up on their screen. Its certainly not in the interest of cost saving. I have personally seen guys booked on flights that connect when there is a direct flight that's cheaper. It literally defies the laws of common sense. Great way to make your pilots mad. Who doesn't look at possible flights home on kayak the night of day 7?
Anyone who has the audacity to call and complain is usually referred to their supervisor for a talking to. Not cool. If there's one thing I could change about this place day 8 travel would be it.

Rant over.
Old 11-05-2019, 09:46 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by mshermanaviator View Post
This pretty well sums up my experience from 4 years there. I would add that there is a very good group of pilots to work with.
Agreed. I should have added that to the list of pros. With the exception of one or two delta bravos it's a great group of guys and gals.
Old 11-05-2019, 11:30 AM
On Reserve

Joined APC: May 2012
Position: Eclipse500

Originally Posted by Das Auto View Post
Pros.

In addition to the obvious attraction of home basing and positive space travel to and from work...

Excellent health care 100% covered by the company for employee and their families.

New / newer equipment, very well maintained.

Nice hotels for the most part. Typically Hilton / Marriott and you keep the miles / points.

Safe. No pressure from management to push the limits.

Salary is good for King Air pilot.

Cons.

Long days. max duty with min rest is not uncommon here.

Crew meals. While other operators provide their crews with meals on the road and offer proper meals at the end of the day on the company card, at Gama you have to request them and be granted approval.

Day 8 travel. This has to be the biggest complaint among the pilot group. Our logistics dept. fails to grasp the concept that guys who have been on the road away from their families for 8 days are anxious to get home. It seems to be the accepted norm to book people on the worst flight home, often sitting at the airport for hours while watching earlier flights take off. Its the unforgivable sin to question their infinite wisdom.

Uncertain future. We are contracted to Wheels Up. Who knows how long that will last. Anyone's guess is pure speculation.

All in all its not a bad place to earn a paycheck. It could be a lot better but it could be a lot worse too.
Thank you very much.
I may be pulling the trigger here shortly.As I said,the couple of pilots I saw were in there 50s+ and they were very talkative and looked happy.Thats all I needed to see to peak my interest
Old 11-06-2019, 06:09 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2016
Default Day 8 travel

I have to agree with the rest of you that day 8 travel continues to be a big downside here. When they came out with the new pay rates and rules last year, this was something they swore they were going to improve...unfortunately they have not and it seems to be getting worse in the past couple of months. Just yesterday was my day 7 and I ended in a timely manner without an airplane assigned to me. Day 8 was “hotel standby” which is code for “standby for travel”. Instead of sending us home last night and improving the quality of life for the two of us, the company wastes 500 in hotels plus more per diem for us. What a waste of time for us.
I’m not west coast, but I’ve heard it’s worse for those guys when they end on the east coast.
Old 11-07-2019, 03:20 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2019

Originally Posted by Busdriver91 View Post
I have to agree with the rest of you that day 8 travel continues to be a big downside here. When they came out with the new pay rates and rules last year, this was something they swore they were going to improve...unfortunately they have not and it seems to be getting worse in the past couple of months. Just yesterday was my day 7 and I ended in a timely manner without an airplane assigned to me. Day 8 was “hotel standby” which is code for “standby for travel”. Instead of sending us home last night and improving the quality of life for the two of us, the company wastes 500 in hotels plus more per diem for us. What a waste of time for us.
I’m not west coast, but I’ve heard it’s worse for those guys when they end on the east coast.
I’m sure I will get the wrath of this forum for saying this. If they can show you with an aircraft til 4pm and still get you home by 1159p. WUP pays GAMA. I doubt they will ever change that unless we get fully staff. Only time I ever get early travel home is when the new crew flys in the night before and the plane leaves O dark thirty.

P.S. Even if your in a scenario like I have said do not call or as DAS AUTO has stated you will get in more trouble than it’s worth. Learned that two years ago.
Old 11-07-2019, 05:00 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Most companies realize how important it is to attract and retain valuable employees. The health insurance and salary for a King Air driver still seems to be attracting applicants but retention is a problem that needs to be addressed. It’s not cheap to train a new hire and they’re not generating any revenue while they’re sitting in a classroom or a simulator at Flight Safety. You could argue that it would be cheaper to improve life for those already here than to keep the revolving door spinning.
Old 11-13-2019, 09:03 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2015
Position: Armchair Capt

So, has anyone found out how much Captain pay is at TMC? Not on the careers page of their website that I can see...
Old 11-22-2019, 10:53 AM
On Reserve

Joined APC: May 2012
Position: Eclipse500

Well I got the email letting me know that I need a Skype/Face Time
interview a few weeks ago, I held off on replying due to work but I did reply yesterday to the email.Lets see how this goes.
Old 11-22-2019, 08:27 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Dec 2016
Default Travel

Do they mainly book airlines for you on the big 3? Or do they mix in the LCCs too?