Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Gama Aviation/Wheels up pay scales

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2019, 08:59 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2018

Originally Posted by LLWS09R View Post
I think you hit it spot on! Which make one wonder do they even care to help with the pilots QOL as it won’t be there problem soon enough? With out getting into a full on debate I have tried to do my best in comparing TMC pilot ( Captain only) to a GAMA ( Captain only). Besides a few isolated improvements all GAMA pilots would be taking a huge financial and QOL step backwards.
I’ve been curious who is holding up QOL/compensation improvements, Gama or WUP? We went from being competitive at one point to quickly falling behind other major operators in our market. Is Gama not pushing WUP for improvements, or is WUP saying no? To your point, it could easily be because either side knows the end of the relationship is in sight.

Based on how much overtime they are offering for a premium rate, I’d guess our hiring isn’t keeping up with our attrition. Generally, I would imagine that would prompt a change to QOL/compensation to keep people around. Since we may be just barely keeping up, I could see hesitancy in making would would likely be financially costly improvements.

If WUP were planning growth, that would mean even more hiring on top of having to replace everyone that’s left. If we aren’t keeping up with attrition right now, I’d hate to see how far we’d fall behind on staffing. I’d think both parties would want to solve this issue before attempting growth. The only way I see to do that is QOL/compensation improvements.
Old 12-07-2019, 06:33 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Aug 2019
Position: BE300 Left Seat

I think you hit it spot on! Which make one wonder do they even care to help with the pilots QOL as it won’t be there problem soon enough? With out getting into a full on debate I have tried to do my best in comparing TMC pilot ( Captain only) to a GAMA ( Captain only). Besides a few isolated improvements all GAMA pilots would be taking a huge financial and QOL step backwards.

Hey can you give some specific examples of what steps backwards you think would take place? Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-07-2019, 06:38 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Aug 2019
Position: BE300 Left Seat

Originally Posted by hdgbug View Post
I’ve been curious who is holding up QOL/compensation improvements, Gama or WUP? We went from being competitive at one point to quickly falling behind other major operators in our market. Is Gama not pushing WUP for improvements, or is WUP saying no? To your point, it could easily be because either side knows the end of the relationship is in sight.

Based on how much overtime they are offering for a premium rate, I’d guess our hiring isn’t keeping up with our attrition. Generally, I would imagine that would prompt a change to QOL/compensation to keep people around. Since we may be just barely keeping up, I could see hesitancy in making would would likely be financially costly improvements.

If WUP were planning growth, that would mean even more hiring on top of having to replace everyone that’s left. If we aren’t keeping up with attrition right now, I’d hate to see how far we’d fall behind on staffing. I’d think both parties would want to solve this issue before attempting growth. The only way I see to do that is QOL/compensation improvements.

What are the things you see from the inside that make you say you were once competitive but now are quickly falling behind other major operators? I’m on the outside looking in.... considering things...

Old 12-07-2019, 07:14 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2019

Originally Posted by JRSK View Post
Hey can you give some specific examples of what steps backwards you think would take place? Thanks.

Gama paying for you and your family Insurance to start with. TMC offers I assume a standard insurance rate of about 250 a month perhaps more for family insurance. Captain pay at TMC is if my math correct equals between 78k-84k assuming no overtime yada yada yada. Do you want me to write everything or just the major points?

In essence we would loose 10k in pay and perhaps 3k-5k in pay insurance premiums. (Rumor only) hotel quality at TMC Holiday Inn Express is a standard hotel far cry from Gama Hilton standard hotels.

Also as me and Dad Auto has stated while they (Gama)are not getting you home on day 8 any earlier than they are required too. They do honor getting you home on day 8. TMC pilots have stated they will work you threw til day 9 on purpose and just pay the premium pay. Whether the pilots agree to it or not.

Last edited by LLWS09R; 12-07-2019 at 07:30 AM.
Old 12-07-2019, 08:11 AM
On Reserve

Joined APC: May 2018

If they deducted pay/insurance, all hell would break loose. I doubt that would happen.
Old 12-07-2019, 11:41 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by JRSK View Post
What are the things you see from the inside that make you say you were once competitive but now are quickly falling behind other major operators? I’m on the outside looking in.... considering things...

When I say Gama/WUP has fallen behind, I’m mainly referring to compensation. For the most part QOL is relatively equal (yes, we could split hairs, depending on the operator some things may be better, but some may be worse).

Until the last year and change, coming to Gama as a First Officer was in the ballpark as other larger operators, such as Netjets, XO, Flex. The potential benefit of coming to Gama was a quick upgrade, or coming directly in as a Captain (which isn’t available at these other operators). The downside to Gama/WUP is mainly the airframe. But for someone interested in compensation out of the gate, Gama was a legitimate option, especially if they had the time to be a hired as a Captain.

Over the past year or so, Gama has remained stagnant with their compensation package while each of the other mentioned operators have improved theirs. Starting pay at these other operators is approaching or above Captain pay at Gama. This effectively makes Gama no longer competitive.

If I was in the market looking at these 4 operators, Gama would easily be the bottom of the pile, even Captain qualified. I could pick any of those other operators and make roughly the same as a first year FO than as a Captain at Gama. In addition, each of these operators has a higher top end to their compensation packages, and will quickly exceed what you would make at Gama (even starting as FO at another company or a Captain at Gama).

Gama’s requirements are lower for First Officers, so if you’re lower time, Gama could be a good option. But if you’re on the street and could qualify at these other operators, I’d push you towards them. Heck, for those “stuck” at Gama in a golden handcuffs dilemma, the best hope for them improving compensation is to not be able to hire anyone.
Old 12-07-2019, 04:54 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2016

I don’t think anyone has mentioned the 7/7 that the other operators have instead of 8/6. The other operators also have a more flexible schedule. Gama is slow to realize that some of their best employees have one foot out the door.
Old 12-07-2019, 06:22 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by Busdriver91 View Post
I don’t think anyone has mentioned the 7/7 that the other operators have instead of 8/6. The other operators also have a more flexible schedule. Gama is slow to realize that some of their best employees have one foot out the door.
This is true. I think 7/7 should be the standard for a fixed schedule, not 8/6. Netjets is the only one to have this option as far as I know.

7/7 or various flexible schedules would be a drastic QOL improvement. I know it’s been said, not sure if it’s Gama or WUP saying this, that it would be too expensive to change schedules. Seems to me like it has to be more expensive to be constantly training new hires as people leave for better schedules, a known exit interview complaint.
Old 12-07-2019, 07:40 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2019

Originally Posted by hdgbug View Post
This is true. I think 7/7 should be the standard for a fixed schedule, not 8/6. Netjets is the only one to have this option as far as I know.

7/7 or various flexible schedules would be a drastic QOL improvement. I know it’s been said, not sure if it’s Gama or WUP saying this, that it would be too expensive to change schedules. Seems to me like it has to be more expensive to be constantly training new hires as people leave for better schedules, a known exit interview complaint.
I don’t understand why they even conduct exit interviews. Most pilots I know that have left state the same reason as mentioned before. Nothing has changed! Are storm clouds building on the horizon or is grand news just around the corner.
Old 12-07-2019, 08:03 PM
Gets Weekends Off

I don’t understand why they even conduct exit interviews. Most pilots I know that have left state the same reason as mentioned before. Nothing has changed! Are storm clouds building on the horizon or is grand news just around the corner.
Based on the past timing of announcements of this sort, I’m of the opinion that if we don’t here anything in the next month or two that nothing is changing anytime soon. I haven’t gotten a warm fuzzy feeling when talking with people in the know.