Gama Aviation/Wheels up pay scales

Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Gama Aviation/Wheels up pay scales

Old 07-01-2018, 09:41 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2017

Originally Posted by EMAW View Post
Some guys do laundry, I don’t usually need to. Don’t count on having more than 10 hrs off.

It varies very fluid operation and whatever scheduling assigns is what you’ll do.

It’s fairly reliable. If it breaks, how to fix it is not our concern. We have a tremendous support staff.

Premiums are 100% covered by the company. Only pay if you actually use it, I.e. copay.

Company issued phones. Verizon. Don’t worry bout your own.

KingAir is fine in icing.

Either way. To each his own.

We keep all of our reward points for hotels, airlines. Use them as you wish. Company has no interest in them.

You’re making this too hard. If you want to WORK for a living and try 135, this is the best outfit. But you do your own flight planning, including performance, W&B, and fuel decisions. Ops is there for support. But the paperwork is on you.
Hey thanks for the reply! Good info
Old 07-01-2018, 06:27 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2016

Originally Posted by Fixnem2Flyinem View Post
I appreciate all of the great info on this page! I have been looking into Wheels up for a while now but haven’t applied yet. I am a current 121 pilot pretty close to upgrade but the medical coverage at my carrier is forcing my wife to continue working so we can use her coverage. The out of pocket costs will eat up a huge part of my paycheck if I put my family on my coverage. We are expecting our first child any day now so I would like to have her not work here in the next few years if possible.

I have a few other questions, forgive me if they have been asked already in this thread or the others.

-Since you’re gone for 8 days at a time, do you find the time to knock out laundry on the road? Roughly how long are the overnights?

-On average, do you fly every day of the 8 days scheduled? Do you ever get airlined to different locations mid trip? Anytime at all to take in some sights here and there?

-How reliable is the King Air mx wise? Do you have a good amount of resources on the road if the plane does break down?

-Is medical really 100 percent covered for the family with no money coming out of your paycheck?

-Do you guys have EFB’s or are you still using paper charts? If you’re using EFB’s, is it a company paid IPAD or similar?

-What cell phone service do you go with as I’m sure you’re making many phone calls during the trip for various reasons? Does the company cover international calls if you don’t have an international plan?

-How is the King Air in icing? I fly a Q400 at the moment and icing is a non issue but I’ve flown a caravan before and icing could be an issue pretty quickly if it was heavy and that wasn’t a good time

-Are guys/gals moving on to LCC’s or major’s if they choose to go 121? Are people leaving for other 135 outfits? What is the main reason for attrition since the upgrade in pay and better schedules have come about?

-Are there many pilots coming from the regionals? Or would I be going against the flow of traffic?

-I noticed one person saying you get to keep the airline miles you rack up while the company pays for your tickets? How does that work? If you are allowed those miles, can you use that for your family as well, or is it strictly for you?

Thanks in advance for the answers, I am finding it hard to walk away from 121 as this is my second regional and there is a “pathway” program to our mainline partner but I have always wanted to fly the King Air and reading that things are improving I feel like I may enjoy that type of flying more. What I know I will enjoy is not stressing about a commute and being able to live where my family lives as it is within 2 hours of PDX.
I appreciate your enthusiasm with all the questions however you may be over thinking this and making it harder than it should. The big points I think I got from your post is that you value not commuting and you want to pay less in health insurance. Gama offers both of these since you have a paid positive space seat to and from home and you don’t pay a dime in premiums for your whole family for medical, dental, and vision.
On the other hand you say you are pretty close to upgrade where you work and you seem to want the airlines long term. Only you can determine what is best for you. I will tell you that we do have some people leaving for the airlines, most notably Southwest so it doesn’t mean the majors won’t look at you if you come here. Good luck!
Old 07-02-2018, 05:23 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2013

Originally Posted by Busdriver91 View Post
I appreciate your enthusiasm with all the questions however you may be over thinking this and making it harder than it should. The big points I think I got from your post is that you value not commuting and you want to pay less in health insurance. Gama offers both of these since you have a paid positive space seat to and from home and you don’t pay a dime in premiums for your whole family for medical, dental, and vision.
On the other hand you say you are pretty close to upgrade where you work and you seem to want the airlines long term. Only you can determine what is best for you. I will tell you that we do have some people leaving for the airlines, most notably Southwest so it doesn’t mean the majors won’t look at you if you come here. Good luck!
Agreed. You've already checked the part 121 box so you can always go back to it if this gig isn't for you. Having done both I can tell you that gama is better in pretty much every way compared to a regional airline. Notably pay, benefits, hotels and flight destinations. You do work harder though and the 8 days on the road will be longer than what you're used to. On the flip side the 6 days off will be too.
Old 07-02-2018, 05:34 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Sep 2017

The regionals are over working the pilots to the point of exhaustion and people quitting. If Wheels Up works you harder, that’s not a good thing.
Old 07-02-2018, 12:44 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2013

Originally Posted by Deluth16 View Post
The regionals are over working the pilots to the point of exhaustion and people quitting. If Wheels Up works you harder, that’s not a good thing.
Compared to part 121, you have to file your own flight plans, sling your own bags, calculate your own fuel loads etc. but it's hardly a North Korean labor camp.
Old 07-02-2018, 04:50 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2015
Position: Begging for a crew meal

Originally Posted by Deluth16 View Post
It’s not that bad. There are some brutal days here and there. But the heat this time of year is the challenge for the most part.
Old 07-03-2018, 05:46 AM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Oct 2017

Originally Posted by Starbucks View Post
It’s not that bad. There are some brutal days here and there. But the heat this time of year is the challenge for the most part.
Are you referencing the heat relating to aircraft performance, crew/pax comfort or both?
Old 07-03-2018, 06:50 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2013

Originally Posted by Starbucks View Post
Thank you for addressing the heat issue concerning the King Air, Texas, South Florida in the summer is really brutal. There is just no way of cooling down this airplane. Make's a long day even a longer day when you start your day sweating like you just came out of a sauna!!!
Old 07-03-2018, 07:00 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2016

Originally Posted by Bone75 View Post
Are you referencing the heat relating to aircraft performance, crew/pax comfort or both?
We are talking only on the ground. Once you get the engines started the air conditioning works pretty good. 3 pm on a 90 plus day sitting in the heat for several hours sucks. Loading all their luggage including the kitchen sink in 90 plus heat sucks. Put the window shades up, hanger it for a few hours if you have to. We do what ever it takes to minimize the discomfort on the ground but its still sucks.
Plane still performs pretty well when hot. We can still get to the mid 20's no problem in the heat but 28 and above we might get 500 feet a minute. We get used to it, it's part of the job. If you are used to a nice APU and can't live without it, you might not want to come here.
Old 07-03-2018, 02:35 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2014
Position: Semi-Retired...

Originally Posted by PilotSam View Post
I received an email from from Gama Aviation indicating a 2500 hr multi engine min requirement for captain ..... seems high to me is this correct. I currently have 3970 TT, 3050 PIC, 1700 ME, 2550 Turbin and I do nor qualify for a captain position ....hummmmm!
Required times only seem high when you don’t have the time. 2500 ME to be PIC at a real company is pretty normal.

They pay well, have good work rules and can be as picky as they like. Good for them for realizing money and QOL count.