Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

XO Jet vs SkyWest

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2018, 01:58 PM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Oct 2017
Position: CL 604/605 Contract
Default XO Jet vs SkyWest

Ok, here is my situation - 55 year old with a retirement, wants to keep flying (some pension from my USG job) - I have a job lined up with SkyWest, hoping to get back to Arizona eventually (I live in Tucson) - but may have a chance at going to XO Jet. I am not looking to go to the majors, (and don't think I have enough time todo so anyway at my age) - I would like a fixed schedule to fly, and keep myself living in the Tucson/Phoenix area for family reasons. Is there a reason to consider XO Jet or something like SkyWest? I kind of heard the SkyWest has some great training and I don't mind flying the CRJ200 - used to fly KC-130s that were built in the 60s I heard the pilots at XO Jet really love their jobs as well and most sound very happy.

Thanks!
Old 03-10-2018, 06:28 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2015
Position: Left

Originally Posted by dfrenchbk View Post
Ok, here is my situation - 55 year old with a retirement, wants to keep flying (some pension from my USG job) - I have a job lined up with SkyWest, hoping to get back to Arizona eventually (I live in Tucson) - but may have a chance at going to XO Jet. I am not looking to go to the majors, (and don't think I have enough time todo so anyway at my age) - I would like a fixed schedule to fly, and keep myself living in the Tucson/Phoenix area for family reasons. Is there a reason to consider XO Jet or something like SkyWest? I kind of heard the SkyWest has some great training and I don't mind flying the CRJ200 - used to fly KC-130s that were built in the 60s I heard the pilots at XO Jet really love their jobs as well and most sound very happy.

Thanks!
Considering your situation, both seem like good options. That said, how hard do you want to work? I hear PHX/TUS are reasonably senior at Skywest, so, not sure how long it would take to successfully bid. Once in base, Skywest would be fairly predictable flying. Plus, the CRJ has a comfortable cockpit - yes, the 200 is a poor performer but I believe Skywest also operates the 700 out of PHX (I could be wrong) which is a pretty good performer.

XOJet is a solid operator, but I hear the pilots work pretty hard including a ton of transcons on both the X and the 300. Great variety of flying, but likely working pretty hard. Hopefully some of the XOJet pilots will chime in.

Compass is opening a PHX base on the E175 - perhaps another consideration. Why not reach out to Compass too?

Last edited by David Puddy; 03-10-2018 at 07:00 PM.
Old 03-11-2018, 04:02 AM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Oct 2017
Position: CL 604/605 Contract

Thanks - I will look into Compass as well - appreciate your input!