Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Buying a 135 Certificate

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2013, 09:06 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2013
Default Buying a 135 Certificate

I know this is a vague question, but what would a 135 cert. cost for a basic certificate? Furthermore if the cert. had international ops (central America/ south America/ caribbean. Not Europe or Asia geographical regions).

Any thought and input is greatly appreciated.
Old 05-19-2013, 08:58 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2009

IIRC you can't just buy one, the certificate is not a company asset. I.e. you can buy a 135 operation, but you'll have to get your own ticket.
Old 05-19-2013, 10:18 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2011
Position: Volleyball Player

Originally Posted by Grumble View Post
IIRC you can't just buy one, the certificate is not a company asset. I.e. you can buy a 135 operation, but you'll have to get your own ticket.
Yep, the certificate is supposed to be surrendered if the person ceases their 135 ops, but if you want to start a new 135 op (in other words, buy someone else's) you have to resubmit everything for approval and get issued a new 135 certificate, which may or may not happen depending on the FSDO's workload. Essentially when you "buy" a 135 certificate, you are buying someone's manuals and procedures, but sometimes they haven't been updated as regulations have changed, sometimes they shouldn't have passed in the first place, so it can end up being more headache than starting from scratch. Proceed with caution.
Old 05-19-2013, 10:20 AM
Gets Weekends Off

I understand you buy the operator but the 135 cert. is part of the transaction correct? So by purchasing the operator you are indirectly purchasing the 135 as well. Thereby you would not need to go through the application process and proving flights as a new operator would...is this on the right path?
Old 05-19-2013, 10:20 AM
Gets Weekends Off

And if that is the case, would would an appropriate cost be for the original question?
Old 05-20-2013, 06:59 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2009

Originally Posted by SkylineAviation View Post
I understand you buy the operator but the 135 cert. is part of the transaction correct? So by purchasing the operator you are indirectly purchasing the 135 as well. Thereby you would not need to go through the application process and proving flights as a new operator would...is this on the right path?
No. You can buy their planes, hangars, tractors, whatever... but the 135 certificate is not something the company owns. You'll have to get your own.

What JNB is saying is you can buy the company, plagerize all their material, and do nothing more than change the names in the Ops Specs. However you still have to apply (submit all that material) to the FAA for your own 135 certificate. You can't just buy one and change the names. You're essentially applying for your own, using all the material from the previous owners/operators.
Old 05-20-2013, 01:50 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Dec 2010

You absolutely can buy a Corporation in possession of a Part 135 Certificate and continue operating depending on the Company you acquire and how you handle the transition. I have been involved in quite a few transactions varying in sizes from a Basic Operator (Pistons) to a Full Certificate Jet Operator. Should you wish more information PM me.

See 8900.1 Vol. 3 Ch. 34 Sec. 1 for an introduction to the process.
Old 05-20-2013, 01:54 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2011
Position: Volleyball Player

Yes. There is no such thing (to the FAA) as buying a 135 certificate. You can buy a piece of paper (the 135 cert), but the paper is worthless to anyone except for who's name is on it. I can also say that while there is merger/acquisition guidance which ultimately allows a certificate to be updated, they are still usually going to have you resubmit everything these days. You need to call the FSDO/CMDO that has jurisdiction (well, the POI really) and tell them what you are planning to do. I know that most offices are having people resubmit everything, even if the "acquisition" process is being followed. There is a big move to catch errors and manuals that do not follow regulatory guidance. Anyone who is changing the name on the cert is basically saying it's "good to go", that's a lot to sign off on, especially because it's not the POI who signs the certificate.

Last edited by JamesNoBrakes; 05-20-2013 at 02:10 PM.
Old 05-20-2013, 02:19 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Dec 2010

You do need to be very careful as the to the 135 Corporation you purchase. In addition to your normal acquisition research from a business point of view you will need to verify FAA items, such as what type of operation are you purchasing, is it currently operating, will management continue if sold, are you intending on changing FSDOs, have YOU gone through all of their records and manuals and verified them to be in compliance, enforcement actions against the company, accidents/incidents, VDRP history etc...

Once you find a company that you are seriously considering purchasing and have an LOI in place then you should setup a meeting with the Inspectors prior to closing.
Old 08-27-2020, 11:18 AM
New Hire

Joined APC: Aug 2020
Default Purchasing an existing part 135 charter certi

hello,
Good morning, I am writing this e-mail to ask some information. My boss wants to buy an existing part 135 charter certificate. Could you tell me about some information about where can I buy it? My email address is [email protected]
Thanks

Regards