Go Back   Airline Pilot Central Forums - Find your next job as a Pilot > >
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Welcome to Airline Pilot Forums - Connect and get the inside scoop on Airline Companies

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. Join our community today and start interacting with existing members. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

User Tag List

Old 03-13-2018, 10:57 AM   #1  
New Hire

Joined APC: Mar 2017
Default Flying in Puerto Rico, Caribbean

Does anyone know what it is like to live in San Juan Puerto Rico and other parts of the Caribbean after last year’s hurricanes?
Cape Air, Ameriflight, Sunshine Air and lots of other operators are hiring right now. San Juan got devastated by Hurricane Maria. I’m just worried about quality of life in some of those areas now.

Also my friend said the flying there can be difficult because there is a lot of convective activity with areas of no wxuplinks. I also heard the air traffic controllers have accents and each island country has different procedures? On the other hand, tropical beaches and no snow sound nice.

Last edited by Tsramb; 03-13-2018 at 11:02 AM. Reason: Added questions
Tsramb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 05:21 PM   #2  
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsramb View Post
Does anyone know what it is like to live in San Juan Puerto Rico and other parts of the Caribbean after last years hurricanes?
Cape Air, Ameriflight, Sunshine Air and lots of other operators are hiring right now. San Juan got devastated by Hurricane Maria. Im just worried about quality of life in some of those areas now.

Also my friend said the flying there can be difficult because there is a lot of convective activity with areas of no wxuplinks. I also heard the air traffic controllers have accents and each island country has different procedures? On the other hand, tropical beaches and no snow sound nice.

Living in San Juan, you don't get to see THAT much all the damage done, not anymore anyways. It was hard right after, really hard. Depending on where you lived, you didn't have power for months. LOTS of areas still have no electricity.
The closer to the airport, the better because of safety and also for technical reasons. They always make sure that the airport gets their electricity back first (obviously).
If you live in San Juan/Carolina, you shouldn't have any trouble nowadays.

San Juan didn't get devastated at all. The rest of the island did.

Convective activity....oh well let's say you learn a lot about weather and decision making. (which is good).

ATC in SJU is awesome, super nice and professional. The same in US Virgin Islands (St.Thomas and St.Croix). UK Virgin Islands.....different story. Professional but weird as F* accent. But after a few flights you get used to.

Tropical beaches are awesome, but you'll see them from the cockpit haha.

Because of the employers you mentionaed, I assume you're at IFR mins?
Javichu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 07:21 PM   #3  
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2017
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javichu View Post
Living in San Juan, you don't get to see THAT much all the damage done, not anymore anyways. It was hard right after, really hard. Depending on where you lived, you didn't have power for months. LOTS of areas still have no electricity.
The closer to the airport, the better because of safety and also for technical reasons. They always make sure that the airport gets their electricity back first (obviously).
If you live in San Juan/Carolina, you shouldn't have any trouble nowadays.

San Juan didn't get devastated at all. The rest of the island did.

Convective activity....oh well let's say you learn a lot about weather and decision making. (which is good).

ATC in SJU is awesome, super nice and professional. The same in US Virgin Islands (St.Thomas and St.Croix). UK Virgin Islands.....different story. Professional but weird as F* accent. But after a few flights you get used to.

Tropical beaches are awesome, but you'll see them from the cockpit haha.

Because of the employers you mentionaed, I assume you're at IFR mins?
What about cost of living on PR, driving a car?
SonicFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 07:30 PM   #4  
Gets Weekends Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicFlyer View Post
What about cost of living on PR, driving a car?

Lack of driving skills over there is scary haha, other than that....normal.

Cost of living, depends a lot on your needs. My company had an apartment, ACC has crew housing too, same with Tradewinds. I don't know about the rest. Problem is the electricity bill as I mentioned. Doable
Old 03-16-2018, 10:54 AM   #5  
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2014

Quote:

Then you go to Juliana, or Antigua, and they still have the weird as F* accents, and have zero professionalism whatsoever.

SJU ATC is awesome.
dera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 05:52 AM   #6  
On Reserve

Joined APC: Jan 2017
Position: Flying a desk

Quote:
Lack of driving skills over there is scary haha, other than that....normal.

Cost of living, depends a lot on your needs. My company had an apartment, ACC has crew housing too, same with Tradewinds. I don't know about the rest. Problem is the electricity bill as I mentioned. Doable
Ha ha ha I recommend purchasing a tank. But seriously driving will take some time to adjust to! Also they have speed bumps the size of a Ford Fiesta.
JetAJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 02:26 PM   #7  
Gets Weekends Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetAJunkie View Post
Ha ha ha I recommend purchasing a tank. But seriously driving will take some time to adjust to! Also they have speed bumps the size of a Ford Fiesta.
haha I've seen bumps bigger than a Ford Fiesta

I agree. It's actually one of the factors that drained my patience, how people don't give a F* about the others. Driving or in general.