Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Non-pilot aviation experience

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2018, 03:29 PM
New Hire

Joined APC: Apr 2018
Default Non-pilot aviation experience

I recently earned my commercial rating (ASEL) and have just over 250 hours.
I spent a few years as a Naval Flight Officer sitting in the back conducting missions, so lots of CRM experience and "hours" but none of it can go in the log book.

Wondering if there's any insight into whether that experience in aviation operations would mitigate the lack of flight hours and help get an interview at a Part 135 operator, or should I continue to accrue and work towards a CFI before applying?

Thanks!
Old 04-15-2018, 03:33 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2016

It certainly can't hurt, but a lot of those hour requirements are due to regulations or insurance and won't be waiveable. Prepare to instruct and hope you get a call in the mean time.
Old 04-15-2018, 06:24 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2014

You should consider looking into some of the ISR operators as a sensor oerator. Spend about 6 months out of the year deployed making a livable wage and CFI on your off time. I work for one of them. Feel free to PM if you’d like.
Old 04-15-2018, 09:29 PM
New Hire

Joined APC: Apr 2018

Originally Posted by KA350Driver View Post
You should consider looking into some of the ISR operators as a sensor oerator. Spend about 6 months out of the year deployed making a livable wage and CFI on your off time. I work for one of them. Feel free to PM if you’d like.
Unfortunately I couldn't contract out with wife and kids at home. Plus I flew a bit in some of those places and it was a bit on the warm side. Thanks for the heads up though.

Sounding like CFI and splitting time may be the best way forward unless and insurer says otherwise.

Thank you both.
Old 06-23-2018, 01:00 PM
New Hire

Joined APC: Jun 2018
Position: No Future Opportunities

I am a current NFO on the P-3 working on my commercial. Unfortunately I joined on a pilot contract but got the NAMI whammy. Honestly I'm just trying to build as much time as I can in the next few years to set my self up for a flying job in the civilian world. As far as I've seen no operator mentions accepting special crew time (screwtime) as part of their minimums at this time.