Multi Engine Piston vs Multi Engine Turbine

Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Multi Engine Piston vs Multi Engine Turbine

Old 04-18-2018, 07:41 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: May 2017
Default Multi Engine Piston vs Multi Engine Turbine

First, I KNOW that twin turbine PIC time is better than twin piston PIC time. My question really is, is starting out in a multi engine piston airplane as PIC the normal when starting at a 135 operator in lieu of a multi engine turbine airplane such as the 99? I've gotten an offer from a company that operates both types of equipment but they'd rather have me start in their twin piston aircraft instead of their twin turbine aircraft (BE99). I already have a lot of twin turbine time as SIC and they acknowledged that and think it's great but they'd still rather have me start in the piston. Is this the normal right now for the current industry for pilots at 135 IFR PIC mins to start in a multi engine piston or is a multi engine turbine airplane more than possible?

Thank you in advance to anyone who replies.
Old 04-18-2018, 08:47 AM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Feb 2013

Originally Posted by pilotlyfe View Post
First, I KNOW that twin turbine PIC time is better than twin piston PIC time. My question really is, is starting out in a multi engine piston airplane as PIC the normal when starting at a 135 operator in lieu of a multi engine turbine airplane such as the 99? I've gotten an offer from a company that operates both types of equipment but they'd rather have me start in their twin piston aircraft instead of their twin turbine aircraft (BE99). I already have a lot of twin turbine time as SIC and they acknowledged that and think it's great but they'd still rather have me start in the piston. Is this the normal right now for the current industry for pilots at 135 IFR PIC mins to start in a multi engine piston or is a multi engine turbine airplane more than possible?

Thank you in advance to anyone who replies.
If you don’t want to fly their twin piston don’t accept the job offer. Look for another job where you can start in a twin turbine.

If you do want to work for them take what they offer, get some experience and then flow to the twin turbine. At the rate guys are leaving for the airlines you’ll probably be in the turbine in 6 months.

As far as what’s normal. Whatever the employer wants is the norm. That’s new guys starting at the bottom and work their way up. You decide if that’s acceptable to you.

Twin pistons, in general, are cheaper than twin turbines. Despite the pilot shortage operators like to observe a newhire in a piston for a while before letting them loose on the expensive equipment. Most screwups managing a piston engine cost about 10% of one good screwup with a turbine. I know a guy that accidentally added fuel to two turbines as they were spooling down. Expensive. He was a 500 hour pilot that had bought 500 hundred hours of SIC time with Ameriflight in the early nineties. Your future employer wants to figure out if you’re that guy before it’s going to cost him a small fortune.
Old 04-19-2018, 01:12 AM
Disinterested Third Party

Joined APC: Jun 2012

How much is a "lot of twin turbine time as SIC?"
Old 04-19-2018, 01:17 AM
All is fine at .79

Joined APC: Sep 2016
Position: Paahlot

Twin turbine as SIC.
What makes you think you can go to a different company and be PIC?
No offense but maybe you weren’t upgrade material at your previous employer. Who is to know?
That’s why you’re starting on a piston.
If you don’t break anything you’ll move on to the turbine.
Old 04-19-2018, 04:54 AM
Disinterested Third Party

Joined APC: Jun 2012

The original poster didn't give much detail. It may not have been inability to upgrade, but it may have been logged in a ride-a-long situation. Regardless, without experience performing the duties of PIC (or the responsibilities), and with very little or no PIC multi experience, it's reasonable to put someone in a piston twin before moving them to a turbine twin, for insurance if for no other reason. It would be expected at most places, or at least, it used to be that way.
Old 04-19-2018, 08:19 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Dec 2017
Position: DashTrash. King Air 90/200 PIC

Originally Posted by TiredSoul View Post
Twin turbine as SIC.
No offense but maybe you weren’t upgrade material at your previous employer. Who is to know?
Pretty much all of this. Why not look into the appropriate sub thread for the company in question to see about similar upgrade times if you're that worried.
Old 04-19-2018, 01:20 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: May 2017

Originally Posted by TiredSoul View Post
Twin turbine as SIC.
If you must know, I was slated to upgrade. The reason I’m not upgrading is because the company I work for requires an ATP and I don’t meet the age requirements.

I have over 900 hours of twin turbine SIC (this was obtained as legal time) and 110 hours multi PIC.
Old 04-19-2018, 03:39 PM
All is fine at .79

Joined APC: Sep 2016
Position: Paahlot

The reason I’m not upgrading is because the company I work for requires an ATP and I don’t meet the age requirements.
Which you knew when you got hired.
So now you’ve got an itch and you want to jump.
But you got stepped on your wiener because they didn’t roll out the red carpet to the turbine and instead they pointed to a lowly piston.
Depending how long you have to wait you may be better off at your present employer and upgrade when you get your ATP.
Or stop being entitled and build PIC Piston ME time.