Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Wheels up QOL and money

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2018, 06:46 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Sep 2017

Thanks for the replies.
How long, if you have the qualifications, are people having to wait to upgrade? Some have said one year. Is that to the jet or king air?
Are folks finding they’re not getting upgrades to the jet? Years on the king air? I know the king air is the bread and butter.
Thanks.
Old 06-29-2018, 07:29 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2018

Originally Posted by Deluth16 View Post
Thanks for the replies.
How long, if you have the qualifications, are people having to wait to upgrade? Some have said one year. Is that to the jet or king air?
Are folks finding they’re not getting upgrades to the jet? Years on the king air? I know the king air is the bread and butter.
Thanks.
If you meet the qualifications required, you are evaluated at a year. If you pass, you go to the PIC pay scale. There is a caveat that they may not fully upgrade you to PIC depending on needs for PICs. So there is technically a chance you could still sit as an SIC for awhile even though you would be making PIC pay.

Based on the guys I've seen go to the jet recently, upgrade to FO on the jet is after about 3-4 years flying the King Air. The only people that seem to be bypassed for the jet are those with issues. If you're in good standing, there shouldn't be a problem.
Old 06-29-2018, 11:32 AM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Jun 2018

Originally Posted by phlying4fun View Post
It is not put on your PAY check. The per diem is with your expense report on a separate check... You must submit your shift expenses (receipts), mainly Hotels, Uber, Airline and any other authorized expense in order to receive your per diem. This check takes somewhere between 1-3 weeks to appear in your bank account.

Ok this is getting confusing on the per diem. Let's clarify this to simple dummy. Your allowed 59/65 per day.we got that...as mentioned earlier were not submitting receipts. Within 1-3 weeks we will see the money in our bank accounts. So the big question is are we getting this money regardless when we are on a 8 day tour?

We understand home thing you don’t get it.. no receipts needed and it comes to a separate check....
Old 06-29-2018, 12:18 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2013

Originally Posted by Tuffgong View Post
So the big question is are we getting this money regardless when we are on a 8 day tour?
You claim per diem for every day you spend at work away from your base. If you are assigned home reserve you cannot claim per diem. You just click the "meals - per diem" tab on your expense report and claim $59 if you are in the U.S. or $65 if you're outside the U.S.

At the end of your tour you will submit your expense report with your per diem claims and credit card transactions (hotel bills, airline tickets etc.) All credit card transactions must have a receipt attached to them. The app on your company issued iPhone can capture receipts or you can set it up to match the receipts up electronically. Uber and Lyft can populate to your expense report automatically.

Once you submit your report, a nice lady at company headquarters has the mind numbing task of verifying all the information on your report. If she likes what she sees she will approve the report and you will receive a direct deposit of around $500 for your per diem and tips. This payment is independent of your salary which is paid bi-weekly.
Old 06-30-2018, 06:55 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2015
Position: Begging for a crew meal

Originally Posted by hdgbug View Post
If you meet the qualifications required, you are evaluated at a year. If you pass, you go to the PIC pay scale. There is a caveat that they may not fully upgrade you to PIC depending on needs for PICs. So there is technically a chance you could still sit as an SIC for awhile even though you would be making PIC pay.

Based on the guys I've seen go to the jet recently, upgrade to FO on the jet is after about 3-4 years flying the King Air. The only people that seem to be bypassed for the jet are those with issues. If you're in good standing, there shouldn't be a problem.
I think that’s probably half the story. I know a couple guys that have been here since near the start that haven’t come over the xl. They’ve got as clean a records as anyone. On the other hand, there are a few sent over with problems in the KA. (Prop strikes, violations, etc). I don’t think there’s a rhyme or reason to any of it. Maybe that will change now that a certain someone has left the building. It used to be the jet was the way better gig. A big reason people wanted to be moved over here. Didn’t work nearly as hard and got more $$$. Not the case on either count anymore. You’re looking at Turbine PIC vs. Jet SIC. Meh. You do get an APU though.
Old 06-30-2018, 07:10 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2013

Originally Posted by Starbucks View Post
I think that’s probably half the story. I know a couple guys that have been here since near the start that haven’t come over the xl. They’ve got as clean a records as anyone. On the other hand, there are a few sent over with problems in the KA. (Prop strikes, violations, etc). I don’t think there’s a rhyme or reason to any of it. Maybe that will change now that a certain someone has left the building. It used to be the jet was the way better gig. A big reason people wanted to be moved over here. Didn’t work nearly as hard and got more $$$. Not the case on either count anymore. You’re looking at Turbine PIC vs. Jet SIC. Meh. You do get an APU though.
Flying record isn’t everything when it comes to upgrade and transition to the Jet. Timely completion of ALL paperwork and how you interact with everyone, from dispatch and your co-pilot to the FBO staff is included. If you screw up and own up to it, it can be forgiven. If you continually ignore the paperwork involved or our SOPs, prepare to be stuck if not downgraded or dismissed.

Not saying any of these reasons apply to the guys you are talking about, but I guarantee there’s a reason. Especially since now we have to apply to be promoted from within.
Old 06-30-2018, 07:33 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2013

I'm in my 4th year now and chose not to move over the XL because I'd loose my $15k check airman stipend. I'm not too bothered about flying a jet, but the APU would be nice.
Old 06-30-2018, 07:41 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2015
Position: Begging for a crew meal

Originally Posted by EMAW View Post
Flying record isn’t everything when it comes to upgrade and transition to the Jet. Timely completion of ALL paperwork and how you interact with everyone, from dispatch and your co-pilot to the FBO staff is included. If you screw up and own up to it, it can be forgiven. If you continually ignore the paperwork involved or our SOPs, prepare to be stuck if not downgraded or dismissed.

Not saying any of these reasons apply to the guys you are talking about, but I guarantee there’s a reason. Especially since now we have to apply to be promoted from within.
I’m glad they’ve started that Jobvite site. But I think we might have to just agree to disagree on some things. Hopefully what I’m referring to is all in the past. I’ll leave it there.

I’m just offerring my opinion. I don’t want to start any catfights or anything. This site has enough of them. . I also don’t want to discourage anyone from coming here. This place has come A LONG way. It’s turned into a good 135. You’ll have a hard time finding much better.
Old 06-30-2018, 09:42 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2014

Originally Posted by Das Auto View Post
You claim per diem for every day you spend at work away from your base. If you are assigned home reserve you cannot claim per diem. You just click the "meals - per diem" tab on your expense report and claim $59 if you are in the U.S. or $65 if you're outside the U.S.

At the end of your tour you will submit your expense report with your per diem claims and credit card transactions (hotel bills, airline tickets etc.) All credit card transactions must have a receipt attached to them. The app on your company issued iPhone can capture receipts or you can set it up to match the receipts up electronically. Uber and Lyft can populate to your expense report automatically.

Once you submit your report, a nice lady at company headquarters has the mind numbing task of verifying all the information on your report. If she likes what she sees she will approve the report and you will receive a direct deposit of around $500 for your per diem and tips. This payment is independent of your salary which is paid bi-weekly.
He's asking if you only spend (example) $200 on the road do you get the full amount of per diem. Honestly I read thru the entire thread and I'm still confused how you guys get per diem paid out.

In the airline world you get your $2.00/hr on duty which is about $160 for the four days on duty. You get that regardless if you spent it or not. We do also get crew meals.

Using the words "claim" etc make it all confusing. I have no interest in the company but just found it funny as his question wasn't ever really answered.
Old 06-30-2018, 10:08 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2013

Originally Posted by Name User View Post
He's asking if you only spend (example) $200 on the road do you get the full amount of per diem. Honestly I read thru the entire thread and I'm still confused how you guys get per diem paid out.

In the airline world you get your $2.00/hr on duty which is about $160 for the four days on duty. You get that regardless if you spent it or not. We do also get crew meals.

Using the words "claim" etc make it all confusing. I have no interest in the company but just found it funny as his question wasn't ever really answered.
59/65 a day. While you are on the road, whether you choose to use it or not. The only difference is it's daily, not hourly. That will cover 2 decent, healthy meals most places we stay. It all averages out. And once you hit gold or diamond status, hilton property breakfast is free.