Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Wheels up QOL and money

Old 06-30-2018, 10:18 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Apr 2015

Originally Posted by Name User View Post
He's asking if you only spend (example) $200 on the road do you get the full amount of per diem. Honestly I read thru the entire thread and I'm still confused how you guys get per diem paid out.

In the airline world you get your $2.00/hr on duty which is about $160 for the four days on duty. You get that regardless if you spent it or not. We do also get crew meals.

Using the words "claim" etc make it all confusing. I have no interest in the company but just found it funny as his question wasn't ever really answered.
So in the airline world you quote, you would make $48 per day per diem plus your crew meals (which get old, same thing over and over, been there done that). Claim is a term used since you have to fill out paper work. Let me put it this way. You get $59/day whether you spend $2 or $2000. BUT you don't get it automatically. You MUST file an expense report. This expense report has all your hotels and transportation (Uber or Lyft or cab or rental car) to and from FBO and hotel if no hotel transportation. They are charged on a company issued credit card in each persons name. The company wants to make sure that is a legit expense, so we email our receipts AND on the same expense report put in a "claim" for per diem for each day - $59 domestic or $65 international plus $5 for tips. IF YOU DON'T FILE AN EXPENSE REPORT YOU DO NOT AUTOMATICALLY GET PER DIEM. Hope that clears it up.
Old 06-30-2018, 10:19 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2013

Originally Posted by Starbucks View Post
I’m glad they’ve started that Jobvite site. But I think we might have to just agree to disagree on some things. Hopefully what I’m referring to is all in the past. I’ll leave it there.

I’m just offerring my opinion. I don’t want to start any catfights or anything. This site has enough of them. . I also don’t want to discourage anyone from coming here. This place has come A LONG way. It’s turned into a good 135. You’ll have a hard time finding much better.
I know what you are talking about. It's not enough to keep your head down and stay off the "carpet", you also have to put yourself in the spotlight in a good way. If you are completely off the radar, you become a last name on the list. A lot of guys want to come in, cover their jobs and go home. That's fine, but like any other business with this kind of structure, it's what you do above the requirements that sets you apart. I know you know that, but it's for everyone that maybe wondering.
This is a great place to work, and continues to get better almost every day.
Old 06-30-2018, 05:00 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2013

It's ironic that we've been discussing expense reports because not keeping up with those is a sure way to get yourself on the naughty list. From my experience, guys that have made some bonehead moves due to rushing etc. have fessed up and been forgiven. Anything that results in a passenger complaint to Wheels Up though is met with less sympathy. I think that the majority are treated fairly all things considered.
The training, maintenance, hotels benefits etc. are up there with the best of the 135 world in my humble opinion.
Old 06-30-2018, 06:34 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2015

Thanks for all the replies it’s much appreciated. Are there lots of chances for off day pay? Say at least 2 or even 4 a month? Unlimited? Would like to work hard for awhile to stash some cash for more investments I have going on. Are they still paying PICs $850 per off day attached to an 8 day rotation?
Also there seems to be a stigma that guys at Wheels work harder than most but watching tails on flightaware it seems like most days are 2-4 legs with like 10 hrs of duty. And the occasional 5 or 6 leg day once a rotation maybe. I know it’s been discussed but is it really that bad?
Also do you guys ever get a/c carts or do you just tolerate the heat? Currently on a jet with great ground air so I’m a bit spoiled.
Old 06-30-2018, 07:07 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2016

Originally Posted by PrettyFlyGuy View Post
Thanks for all the replies it’s much appreciated. Are there lots of chances for off day pay? Say at least 2 or even 4 a month? Unlimited? Would like to work hard for awhile to stash some cash for more investments I have going on. Are they still paying PICs $850 per off day attached to an 8 day rotation?
Also there seems to be a stigma that guys at Wheels work harder than most but watching tails on flightaware it seems like most days are 2-4 legs with like 10 hrs of duty. And the occasional 5 or 6 leg day once a rotation maybe. I know it’s been discussed but is it really that bad?
Also do you guys ever get a/c carts or do you just tolerate the heat? Currently on a jet with great ground air so I’m a bit spoiled.
Dont get us started on tolerating the heat. No, we don’t get ground a/c carts. We get used to putting cockpit window shades up and making sure the passenger windows are fully polarized to block some sun. Oh we can turn the blowers on to circulate the 120 degree air also.
I was told before I came here that most everything is good (pay, health insurance, hotels, etc) but the downside is that you will work your butt off some days.
If you want overtime, you will get it but only starting a tour early or have one end late. Unlikely they will award a couple of days overtime in the middle of your off days due to the airlines costs.
Old 06-30-2018, 08:38 PM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Jun 2018

500 bi-weekly isn’t bad. I’ve seen them on flight aware. Gama pushes the duty times..
Old 06-30-2018, 10:47 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2013

Originally Posted by PrettyFlyGuy View Post
We are very busy2-4 legs stacks up with the variety of places we go and 5-6 will just flat wear you out. Throw weather in and it's a wonder we don't have more fatigue calls. Plus there's a possibility of switching duty from early to late or vice versa during a tour. You can't tell how much duty time we have by looking at flight aware. I've done 1-2 legs before and had a 14 hr duty day, they'll have you sit around as backup at least for a little while. If the schedule's light and you have no flights you will still be scheduled for some type of duty.
If there is a ground air cart available, we can use it. But it's not very feasible, or effective when I've used it.
Old 07-06-2018, 01:26 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2015
Position: Left

Originally Posted by Das Auto View Post
I'm in my 4th year now and chose not to move over the XL because I'd loose my $15k check airman stipend. I'm not too bothered about flying a jet, but the APU would be nice.
Who knew people would be scrambling to fly an XL? Obviously it pays better than the KA at Gama. I know several Netjets pilots who can’t wait to get off that airplane. One guy told me he hates everything about the XL! It’s all relative of course, and opinions vary. I suppose if people were really interested in the XL, it’s a decent bet that Delta Private Jets will hire you into it.
Old 07-06-2018, 02:12 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2013

Originally Posted by David Puddy View Post
Who knew people would be scrambling to fly an XL? Obviously it pays better than the KA at Gama.
The pay is the same for the King Air, XL and the X.
Old 07-06-2018, 02:31 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2015
Position: Begging for a crew meal

Originally Posted by David Puddy View Post
Who knew people would be scrambling to fly an XL? Obviously it pays better than the KA at Gama. I know several Netjets pilots who can’t wait to get off that airplane. One guy told me he hates everything about the XL! It’s all relative of course, and opinions vary. I suppose if people were really interested in the XL, it’s a decent bet that Delta Private Jets will hire you into it.
There used to be a few reasons everyone wanted moved over. Now it doesn’t matter much. It’s a pretty level playing field. Except the whole APU thing.