Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

FAA Revises SIC time logging regulations

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2018, 02:04 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2018
Position: Retired from UAL

Mountain Air Cargo is about to initiate a ride along program in the Caravans that will utilize this ruling.
Old 06-28-2018, 04:19 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Nov 2015

Originally Posted by jtbost View Post
Mountain Air Cargo is about to initiate a ride along program in the Caravans that will utilize this ruling.
Anywhere I can get more info on this? Would be huge since my final goal is FedEx
Old 06-28-2018, 07:20 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2017

Originally Posted by deadstick35 View Post
The thing is that the right seat meat isn’t required. The company really has no reason to fill that position unless it helps them long-term. They’re an expense that only subtracts from the bottom line unless they stay.

I just realized...this is a perfect way to resurrect PFT/PFJ. I’m NOT advocating it, but if there’s no guarantee the SIC will stick around after they hit ATP mins, why should the company take a huge gamble with salary and training costs? However, if the pilot forks over $xxxxx, then works to PIC qualification AND then works as a PIC for 18 months, they get that upfront money returned plus interest. What about that?

It still sucks, but the company doesn’t need SICs who aren’t required by certification or operation. They need PICs.
It is PTF in some ways, with the contract. You are 100% right, they need PIC’s, all they need to do is whip out the checkbook and they will show up. Lots of pilots with 1200hrs out there needing 300hrs more to go 121. Make the pay nice, schedule reasonable and such, people will stick around past 1500hrs. Imagine how bad the piston feeders have it.... that might take its own thread to sort out though.
Old 06-29-2018, 03:33 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2007

Originally Posted by TeamSasquatch View Post
It is PTF in some ways, with the contract. You are 100% right, they need PIC’s, all they need to do is whip out the checkbook and they will show up. Lots of pilots with 1200hrs out there needing 300hrs more to go 121. Make the pay nice, schedule reasonable and such, people will stick around past 1500hrs. Imagine how bad the piston feeders have it.... that might take its own thread to sort out though.

I bet a minority of the pilots would stick around IF they go the XYZ Air to get 300 hrs in order to get the ATP mins. I don’t want to offend anybody so I’ll spare mentioning specific locations, but many of the outstation bases are not places to live unless you’re from there.
Old 06-29-2018, 04:55 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2017

Originally Posted by deadstick35 View Post
I bet a minority of the pilots would stick around IF they go the XYZ Air to get 300 hrs in order to get the ATP mins. I don’t want to offend anybody so I’ll spare mentioning specific locations, but many of the outstation bases are not places to live unless you’re from there.
For sure a minority amount will not stay long term. Getting some TPIC in Metro or 1900 is going to help keep people around. A lot depends on the company too, Of course. Crew apartments and cars help a ton. Having a Monday or Friday off is nice too. It’s the dirt bag 135s that have crew waiting all day in the lounge that will see the most hurt.
Old 06-29-2018, 11:37 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2017

Originally Posted by TeamSasquatch View Post
For sure a minority amount will not stay long term. Getting some TPIC in Metro or 1900 is going to help keep people around. A lot depends on the company too, Of course. Crew apartments and cars help a ton. Having a Monday or Friday off is nice too. It’s the dirt bag 135s that have crew waiting all day in the lounge that will see the most hurt.
And those operators should feel the hurt, in my opinion.
Old 07-05-2018, 09:38 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Oct 2017

I see more contracts in the future.
Old 07-05-2018, 03:28 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2016

I think this is a pretty clear indication that if you were logging the time previously, you were doing it incorrectly, if your company didn’t have an opspec requiring two pilots. And going forward, it is still incorrect unless your company adopts and gets the new opspec approved by their POI.
Old 07-05-2018, 03:40 PM
In a land of unicorns

Joined APC: Apr 2014
Position: Whale FO

Originally Posted by piloto2 View Post
I think this is a pretty clear indication that if you were logging the time previously, you were doing it incorrectly, if your company didn’t have an opspec requiring two pilots. And going forward, it is still incorrect unless your company adopts and gets the new opspec approved by their POI.
The more I read this, the more it seems this way.
Apparently they want to make these SIC programs, such as the ACP at Ameriflight, more widespread.
Old 07-10-2018, 05:18 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2017
Position: CFI, CFII, MEI

So I apologize in advance as I am still fairly new to the aviation industry on the commercial side.

Would someone be able to break this down in more simple terms? I always see postings for King Air SIC, Cheyenne SIC, PC-12 etc. for Part 135 companies but I've avoided even applying because the whole logging it thing always confused me. To be honest even the revision is not really making sense.

My biggest fear would be taking a SIC job in a king air for a 135 then finding out the time was worthless when its regional time. I would appreciate any help.