Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

135 Op SIC Logging in Piaggio Avanti

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2018, 05:57 PM
In a land of unicorns

Joined APC: Apr 2014
Position: Whale FO

Originally Posted by Toddzilla View Post
Dera has a pretty strong and educated opinion on this matter re: logging SIC vs. PIC and I'm not saying they are wrong, but I vehemently disagree with their reasoning for logging PIC because they are the sole manipulator of the controls as the SIC. I could be way off base but as other people in previous threads have said, most airlines assimilate PIC to mean a signature on the release- not being the PF. They don't care that a pilot can hand-fly an aircraft. Anybody can do that. They care that a PIC can take care of the flight planning, make safe decisions, please customers, work with dispatch, etc.

I understand what Dera is saying, but in an interview I just don't see how somebody would be able to explain how they worked for Surf Air, Boutique, Tradewind, etc. for a year as SIC and now have 1200 hours and 500 hours of it is PIC in a pc12. Call me lazy, but I'm not willing to break up my PIC time like that. Maybe that's just because I never had to, I don't know.

Hit 1200, upgrade to PIC and see what it actually means to act as a PIC, not just fly an airplane. I promise you will learn a lot.

If I had been in this situation during my time building experience, I think I would have logged it as total time and left both PIC and SIC blank. If you wanna get fancy, add a column for PF and PM. To me that seems like an easier thing to explain in an interview.

That all being said, log it however you want- it's your book. In my opinion, however, log it in the way that is the easiest to explain to a skeptic. In the current 121 market, It's not like a few extra hours of PIC time is going to help you out much in a regional interview anyway. You'll be in the same ground school as everybody else and upgrade when they pull your number.
I actually have split my hours so I can separate PIC, SIC and PF. I log them as PIC just to cover my a** from possible future re-interpretation of the rules. Logging PIC is legal and accepted by the FAA, but obviously you need to own your logbook and make sure you can tell what's in it. I think it would show as a positive to an interview panel that you are aware of the regulations, their interpretations, and are very familiar with whats inside your logbook.

I have to strongly disagree with the "anyone can do that" statement. There is a big PC12 operator, and we've hired some people from there. They all have one thing in common - none work here any more. Either they failed in training, or got fired pretty soon after their checkride - simply could not fly the plane, even though they had 200-300 hours of "SIC time" in the plane. With no pilot flying time, you know nothing about it.
Based on my own experience - I would not hire a Caravan/PC12 SIC who can not show the hours they've been the pilot flying.

And since there's no "PF time" in 61.51, PIC time is the closest one and this is what FAA tells you to do as well. If you want to split PF and PM, that's just as well. Just don't condemn those hours as SIC time, leave it empty if you wish for now. There is a chance those hours will be rendered useless. This is how I have done my logbook (I started a new logbook when I moved to 135 turbine world).

I've been a PIC here for close to 200 hours now. You are 100% right, you learn a lot, and most of it is stuff you don't even think about when you are SIC.
Old 07-09-2018, 08:31 AM
Disinterested Third Party

Joined APC: Jun 2012

Originally Posted by ForthFlyer View Post
Are you saying that all right seat pilots at the 135 Caravan and PC-12 operators out there can only log total time, not SIC time, when the autopilot is on?

This sounds a bit absurd to me. But I suppose what difference does it make, SIC time vs. just total time. Most folks at those operations are just there to build up to 1200/1500 hours of total time and move on.
The "SIC" is not required, and may not log the time at all.

What is absurd is the notion of logging total time without it being PIC, SIC, or instruction received. Because in a single-pilot aircraft, the SIC is not required when the autopilot is in use (under a certificate holder authorized autopilot in lieu of a SIC), the "SIC" is not entitled to log the time at all.
Old 07-09-2018, 09:17 AM
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

Originally Posted by dera View Post
I've said this same thing for a long time - log PIC time when you can (sole manipulator of controls in a single pilot plane), know the regs, and DO NOT ASK THE FAA ABOUT THIS because you might not like the answer you get.
For now, it's questionable, but widely accepted to log that time. That's probably the best status quo for now, until this new Opspec is more widely issued.
What he said. Since it's been such a grey area (with the FAA adding fuel to the fire without providing clear guidance) for such a long time, and the new rule puts the stake in it in a few weeks, you're probably OK logging the time. I doubt anyone is going to look back for technical compliance prior to the effective date of the rules.
Old 07-09-2018, 09:27 AM
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

Originally Posted by JohnBurke View Post
The "SIC" is not required, and may not log the time at all.

What is absurd is the notion of logging total time without it being PIC, SIC, or instruction received. Because in a single-pilot aircraft, the SIC is not required when the autopilot is in use (under a certificate holder authorized autopilot in lieu of a SIC), the "SIC" is not entitled to log the time at all.
x2.

If you're not a PIC, SIC, instructor, dual recipient, or other required pilot crew member (ie safety pilot) then it's not Total Flight Time (aka Total Pilot Flight Time).

OK, there is a one grey area, really more a point of confusion since it's not grey at all: "Total Time" is not defined by the FAR's, so technically has no legal definition. It is not applicable to aeronautical experience. You could "technically" log anything you want as "total time", you just can't use it for FAR aeronautical experience unless it's meets those requirements. So you can log total time when going for an ASEL ride with your buddy who's the PIC if you really want to, just don't try to apply that time for any aeronautical experience or currency purposes.

Also... I would kindly suggest that you don't try to apply such "total time" towards employment applications
Old 07-09-2018, 11:21 AM

Likewise, while 14 CFR 61.51 recognizes sole manipulator logging of PIC in an aircraft for which one is rated, once one is big enough to play with the rest of the class, one does not log PIC or "PF" in Part 121 or 135 operations UNLESS one is pilot in command, and designated such by the certificate holder.

Logging "pilot flying" time or PIC time as sole manipulator, when one is not the PIC, not only looks bad in an interview, but tends to mark one as less than aware, and appears foolish.

The employer will ask very simply if you were pilot in command. If you were not the designated pilot in command, and logged anything but SIC, then you're impressing no one, and making yourself look foolish in a place where you ought do anything but.
Old 07-09-2018, 04:15 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2015

Originally Posted by JohnBurke View Post
Likewise, while 14 CFR 61.51 recognizes sole manipulator logging of PIC in an aircraft for which one is rated, once one is big enough to play with the rest of the class, one does not log PIC or "PF" in Part 121 or 135 operations UNLESS one is pilot in command, and designated such by the certificate holder.

Logging "pilot flying" time or PIC time as sole manipulator, when one is not the PIC, not only looks bad in an interview, but tends to mark one as less than aware, and appears foolish.

The employer will ask very simply if you were pilot in command. If you were not the designated pilot in command, and logged anything but SIC, then you're impressing no one, and making yourself look foolish in a place where you ought do anything but.
Under some very specific circumstances for SICs in single pilot airplanes, logging sole manipulator PIC is the only way to log any time at all (91 repo legs for a 135 operator, for example). In that same vein, the company designated PIC cannot legally log time on those 91 legs when the company designated SIC is flying the aircraft, what would the airlines think of that PIC time if they chose to log it?

Also, most all companies that care about the distinction between acting PIC and loggable PIC will state as much explicitly in their application process. It would indeed be foolish to include sole manipulator time when it is expressly forbidden, but when it's not, it is legal time.
Old 07-09-2018, 06:02 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2007

Originally Posted by MaxMar View Post
In that same vein, the company designated PIC cannot legally log time on those 91 legs when the company designated SIC is flying the aircraft, what would the airlines think of that PIC time if they chose to log it?
So what you’re saying is that there’s an SIC logging 61.51 “PIC” but there’s no 1.1 PIC? Who “has final authority and responsibility for the operation and safety of the flight?” You have an SIC as PF who bends metal. Who do you think the FAA is going to look at? The 500 hr PFSIC or the 2000 hr pilot sitting in the other seat?

Who's on first?

Seriously, nobody should take the risk of having this debate at either a job interview or when the FAA asks to discuss the hours reported on an 8710.
Old 07-10-2018, 03:22 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2015

Originally Posted by deadstick35 View Post
So what you’re saying is that there’s an SIC logging 61.51 “PIC” but there’s no 1.1 PIC? Who “has final authority and responsibility for the operation and safety of the flight?” You have an SIC as PF who bends metal. Who do you think the FAA is going to look at? The 500 hr PFSIC or the 2000 hr pilot sitting in the other seat?

Who's on first?

Seriously, nobody should take the risk of having this debate at either a job interview or when the FAA asks to discuss the hours reported on an 8710.
There is a 1.1 PIC, they just can’t log the time. There’s no provision in 61.51 that would allow for it. The only time an acting PIC can log PIC is if a crew is required, which it isn’t under 91 in a single pilot airplane.

On the contrary, an 8710 is an FAA form and should be filled out in accordance with the FARs. It’s most likely a company will want to see hours that will differ from an 8710 as it pertains to things like sole manipulator PIC, and ATD FTD FFS time since those should all be on an 8710 as well.
Old 07-19-2018, 08:09 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: May 2017

Originally Posted by deadstick35 View Post

Who's on first?

Imagine that conversation MaxMar vs FAA explaining everything. Seaport in WA/OR was flying only IFR and without A015 . In that case SIC was required crew member and was legal to log time.
91 legs , again you are not required crew member. if not required can’t perform SIC duties and can’t log time.
//////Now, by this new reg it will be legal 91,135,VFR,IFR etc if the operator participate in PDP. In other words what ever was not legal before will be legal soon ////. Question.. if Max and a few others are right in their interpretation WHY would FAA make this new reg ?
Old 07-19-2018, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by PT6LOL View Post
Question.. if Max and a few others are right in their interpretation WHY would FAA make this new reg ?
As one of those "few others," I don't interpret regulation. Ever.

I do provide the regulation as interpreted by the Adminstrator, as given in the CFR itself, the Federal Register preambles, and the Chief and Assistant Legal Counsel legal interpretations.

That's what you've received.