Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

EMS Flying Career/Jobs

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2018, 06:08 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Sep 2016
Default EMS Flying Career/Jobs

Hello Everyone,

First, before I get into the meat of what I'm wondering, I want to say that I've pretty much set my mind on going the EMS track versus going to the airlines. Most of you probably do not care about that decision but I wanted to get that out there. I'm very much aware of the airlines and the lucrative pay rates, retirement plans (major carrier DC plans), and potential high quality of life that they can provide and the massive amount of retirements that are forthcoming to these companies.

However, after conducting research, I think I'll really like the EMS world. Some of the schedules that I've seen (7 on, 7 off) are very nice and you can practically be home every night. You can also fly anything (depending on company) from a Pilatus to a King Air to a Learjet. Not to mention the high level of satisfaction from helping people who could be critically injured and taking them to a place where they can receive medical treatment. I fully comprehend the fact that pay is low (in comparison to the airlines) and I am okay with that. I've seen salaries from $65k to $120k.

With all of this being said, what I'm wondering is if anybody knows of any EMS companies that have fixed wing aircraft and any pilot info on them such as pay and schedules, I'd be very grateful for any info you may have.

Also, if anyone has info or reviews for the following companies on pilot life, that'd be extra appreciated:
-Mayo Clinic (they created a flight dept and have one King Air and four helicopters)
-Air Methods
-Aero Air
-AirMed
-Sanford Health

Thank you in advance to anyone who responds!
Old 07-05-2018, 06:33 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2011

I have no EMS flying experience but I also find it interesting. I'm currently going to start flying 135 freight and gain some turbine experience. Most of those outfits prefer freight or prior 135 turbine time. Best of luck and I'll be watching this thread for other replies too.
Old 07-05-2018, 06:50 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2007
Default It’s not all roses.

Not to mention the high level of satisfaction from helping people who could be critically injured and taking them to a place where they can receive medical treatment.
Get that out of your head. It’s passenger on-demand 135. There are no exceptions to the FARs or anything else. Nobody is going to give you a cape and mask. Although some uniforms are...interesting...I usually got asked if I worked for a NASCAR team.

The market is saturated with RW assets and those companies usually run FW, too. If the RW side gets hit with new regulations, like losing the inclusion in Deregulation, the entire industry will fell it. Also, you’ll hear a lot about the practices, such as they can’t NOT fly a patient, or the billing. It’ll get maddening when patients are discharged before the crew gets back to the base.

You have to find a way to address the boredom. You’ll probably fly less than 200 hrs per year, but you’ll sit at the base for 12 hrs/day for the hitch. That’s still about 2000 hrs per year you’re sitting.

It’s a good retirement gig, if you’re ready to retire.
Old 07-05-2018, 07:45 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Sep 2016

Originally Posted by deadstick35 View Post
Get that out of your head. It’s passenger on-demand 135. There are no exceptions to the FARs or anything else. Nobody is going to give you a cape and mask. Although some uniforms are...interesting...I usually got asked if I worked for a NASCAR team.

The market is saturated with RW assets and those companies usually run FW, too. If the RW side gets hit with new regulations, like losing the inclusion in Deregulation, the entire industry will fell it. Also, you’ll hear a lot about the practices, such as they can’t NOT fly a patient, or the billing. It’ll get maddening when patients are discharged before the crew gets back to the base.

You have to find a way to address the boredom. You’ll probably fly less than 200 hrs per year, but you’ll sit at the base for 12 hrs/day for the hitch. That’s still about 2000 hrs per year you’re sitting.

It’s a good retirement gig, if you’re ready to retire.
First, thank you for taking the time to respond. Even though your message was predominantly negative, I'm thankful that you wrote a detailed summary of the industry.

Secondly, I completely understand that this job isn't perfect. No job is. Hell even when I jumpseated on FedEx once, the pilots *****ed galore about working at FedEx and then they talked about how life sucked because pretty soon, Cargo aircraft are soon going to be single pilot configured and many people are gonna lose there jobs. I've also heard similar negative statements from pilots at United, Alaska, and UPS. I understand that these examples are not necessarily an apples to apples comparison however there is some correlation.

I've been told that the days can be long and filled with boredom because of the standard 12 hour shifts being on call, however that part doesn't necessarily bother me.

Ultimately, there are personal reasons why I would prefer to fly EMS. Although the personal reasons aren't the main factors as to why I want to go the EMS route, they are a contributing factor. I don't prefer to speak these reasons online and I know that they shouldn't get in the way of my professional career however, I think this would be a great career in the end.

Just out of question, where did you work, what did you fly, and what was your life/schedule like? If you would not like to post it publicly, would you please possibly PM me?

Thank you again!
Old 07-06-2018, 05:16 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2007

Like the other guy said, excellent retirement gig. The truth is that while you ought not think of it in terms of wearing a cape, etc, it *is* a lot more rewarding than carrying a bunch of rich people and their golf bags around. It's ok to consider this as long as you don't get a hero complex about doing the job. You're an ambulance driver, not Captain America.

The thing that would concern me about doing it long term (if you're a young guy, which it sounds like you are) is job stability. As the previous poster intimated, the RW side is wildly oversaturated. At some point the bubble is going to burst on that, and what the effects will be on the FW side will be are pretty much impossible to discern. Almost certainly not good.
Old 07-06-2018, 08:25 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2007

The intent wasn’t to be overly negative, but to cast off the rose-colored glasses and bring some reality to the discussion. It’s one of the best gigs in aviation IF 1) you live at your base, 2) you have good mx support and management, and 3) you are truly immune to/isolated from factors that could (even unintentionally) influence your go/no go decision. The PIC should NEVER end a shift with more patients than s/he starts with. IOW, don’t make “patients” out of yourself or your medcrew. When I was flyig a community-based program, we’d get the pick up location and patient weight. If the patient is below 50kg, well, that’s a kid. It might be in the back of your mind, but there’s no avoiding that. You have to know for WB and fuel planning.

As Boris wrote it can be rewarding, but you’re probably batting well below .500 when compared to the unnecesssry transfers. Also, you have to be the diplomat and keep the peace, but also stand firm as the PIC. 14 hrs is 14 hrs and no you can’t fudge the times because your planning tells you the ETA will put you over. Mins are mins. Skirting around the rules — THAT’S how EMS aviation got a bad rep like the 1980’s freight dogs.

At a good place, you’ll get in more trouble for accepting a flight that you shouldn’t have than you would for turning down a flight. You’re paid to use your wealth of professional experience and knowledge to assess the information and make decisions. It can tear you up when that 10 kg pt couldn’t be transported because the weather was not cooperating. You can’t move clouds or fog. You as the PIC have to make that call, stand by it, and live with it.
Old 07-06-2018, 11:17 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2017

Originally Posted by deadstick35 View Post
Although some uniforms are...interesting...I usually got asked if I worked for a NASCAR team.

I was usually asked if I was there to fix the toilet. Yes, the one piece onsie makes the pilot look like a plumber assistant to the point that I put "Earl's Plumbing" on the back of my, for lack of better words, "flight suit".

The companies I worked for had a house near the airport to stay in while on duty and had a 15 minute to 1 hour limit to be at the airport after you get called. So I always had time to run errands, go shopping, work on my old truck, watch a movie or take a nap.

One company I worked for, I lived 4 minutes away from the airport. I spent minimal time at the airport. In fact, sometimes I would go to the airport because I was bored at home.

Air ambulance is not really glorious work, but for me it is satisfying. I enjoy flying at night and going to small rural airports. I enjoy getting the call and trying to guess where I will be going. I used to fly for a small airline and I flew around 1100 hours per year. I got to the point where I hated flying. In the last air ambulance company I worked for, I flew an average of 30 hours a month. Just enough to keep flying fun for me.

Last place I worked for was 14 on, 14 off. And when I had been there a few years, I had 4 weeks vacation time per year. That meant I could have my scheduled 14 off, take 14 days vacation, then come back to my 14 scheduled off. Usually I would take 7 vacation days and get 21 days off twice a year, then cash in the other 14 days of vacation. I got enough time off that I got a side business going. I had time to work on that on my off time and a lot while I was on duty.

It isn't a job for time building, but air ambulance flying has been good to me. Lots of places are short qualified pilots. Usually the company requires 2500 hours with 500 hours twin or turbine time. Also ATP required. Some companies utilize a right seater. Hiring times can be as low as 500 hours, and when company minimums are met then some companies assist in getting the ATP.

Also the variety in equipment is great. twin or single engine turbo props, or jets. Take your pick. Some companies do short flights, under 2 hours and some companies go world wide. A friend of mine flew for a company that went world wide. No telling where he would go to when the phone rang. Those flights are usually not on demand, but are bidded on by companies for a certain date.

As I said, air ambulance flying has been rewarding and satisfying to me. I did all FW flying.
Old 07-07-2018, 04:48 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2006
Position: Dream Job

Originally Posted by newpilotusa View Post
Hello Everyone,

First, before I get into the meat of what I'm wondering, I want to say that I've pretty much set my mind on going the EMS track versus going to the airlines. Most of you probably do not care about that decision but I wanted to get that out there. I'm very much aware of the airlines and the lucrative pay rates, retirement plans (major carrier DC plans), and potential high quality of life that they can provide and the massive amount of retirements that are forthcoming to these companies.

However, after conducting research, I think I'll really like the EMS world. Some of the schedules that I've seen (7 on, 7 off) are very nice and you can practically be home every night. You can also fly anything (depending on company) from a Pilatus to a King Air to a Learjet. Not to mention the high level of satisfaction from helping people who could be critically injured and taking them to a place where they can receive medical treatment. I fully comprehend the fact that pay is low (in comparison to the airlines) and I am okay with that. I've seen salaries from $65k to $120k.

With all of this being said, what I'm wondering is if anybody knows of any EMS companies that have fixed wing aircraft and any pilot info on them such as pay and schedules, I'd be very grateful for any info you may have.

Also, if anyone has info or reviews for the following companies on pilot life, that'd be extra appreciated:
-Mayo Clinic (they created a flight dept and have one King Air and four helicopters)
-Air Methods
-Aero Air
-AirMed
-Sanford Health

Thank you in advance to anyone who responds!
EagleMed is always hiring. Starting play was about 60k but you'll end up making about 70k after training and travel pay. Plus, they give hiring and retention bonuses. They won't guarantee you'll be home every night though. You'll end up timing out before getting back to base sometimes.

Sent from my BTV-W09 using Tapatalk
Old 07-08-2018, 04:46 AM
New Hire

Joined APC: Jul 2018

I work FW for air methods and its a pretty great gig overall. The main thing (for me anyway) is the QOL, if you live where youre based you life is pretty good. And like the airlines, if you have to commute very far, it can get pretty old pretty fast.
We have a million bases(PC12 and King Air), and i can really only speak to mine, so:
Starting base pay is pretty avg, 65ish, but you can make significantly more working extra shifts ($550 day), plus holiday pay, etc. I made mid 90s my first year.
We do 7on 7off. 12 hr shifts. Based at the airport
Maintenance and equipment are excellent.
Its a huge company (1300 ish pilots, 300 aircraft) so theres a lot of red tape, but for the most part management stays out of your way.
No pressure to take flights. No repercussions for declining. We have a union.
401k. Medical benefits are average. Several diff plans, all paid by employee.
Fly maybe 200 hrs/year.
Im very happy here overall
Old 07-08-2018, 02:51 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jul 2018

What is your current experience for flying right now? Some of those ems operators are looking for at least 2000TT to start out.