Go Back  Airline Pilot Central Forums > Airline Pilot Forums > Part 135
Flying rotorcraft and airplanes- possible? >

Flying rotorcraft and airplanes- possible?

Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Flying rotorcraft and airplanes- possible?

Old 07-28-2018, 12:05 PM
New Hire

Joined APC: Jul 2017
Default Flying rotorcraft and airplanes- possible?

Hello everyone, I'm hoping I'm posting in the best place to ask this question:
I've been working on my ASEL ratings and want to pursue it commercially. I don't know if the grass is green enough to quit flying helicopters entirely, maybe I'm jaded from thinking it's possible for grass to be greener at all in this aviation business.

At any rate, I'm a seasonal utility pilot and I'm curious if any of you know if it's possible (i.e. remotely realistic) to be primarily an airplane driver and work a seasonal helicopter job which has a 12/12 type of schedule. I know I'd have better luck in the 135 world than the 121 world, but I would eventually like to get into cargo or other long haul type heavies or something similar.

Thanks for any insight. It's hard to try and find a work situation that would allow for flying both given the scheduling/ legal requirements and the seasonality of much of the helicopter work.
Old 07-28-2018, 12:27 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2017

135 feeder would be no problem. You could start tomorrow too. Lots of part time guys and more to come with all the hiring. You could fly lift or fire in the summer and peak in the fall. Or 12/12 all year long if you wanted. Fly a 208 while you get the Multi done.
Old 08-01-2018, 03:13 PM
New Hire

Joined APC: Jul 2017

Thanks for your feedback, I'm going to look into that. It's good to hear that it's even a remote possibility given my current schedule.
Old 08-07-2018, 04:38 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Aug 2018

Tango,

How is the demand for utility pilots? I'm flying 121 right now. It's not for me. I want to go back to helo's. Any recommendations for contract flying on the west? i have about 1300 hours of turbine helo time.