Airline Pilot Central Forums

Airline Pilot Central Forums (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/)
-   Part 135 (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/part-135/)
-   -   How long for 135 training? (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/part-135/115375-how-long-135-training.html)

SonicFlyer 07-28-2018 05:14 PM

How long for 135 training?

Getting hired at a 135 type of outfit, VFR PIC, what is the normal time it would take to train someone before their checkride (assume they have never had a 135 job before)?

AKwarts 07-28-2018 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by SonicFlyer (Post 2644370)
Getting hired at a 135 type of outfit, VFR PIC, what is the normal time it would take to train someone before their checkride (assume they have never had a 135 job before)?

Expect about 3-4 weeks until you are on ioe/ or the line. First week is probably going to be company info, opsecs, FARs,weather. Systems and an oral come next. Expect to only have 2-3 training flights and then check ride. Best advice for anyone going to their first ground school is keep your mouth shut in class. its easy to get wrapped into telling war stories and it not only wastes time but derails the class. Good luck.

dera 07-28-2018 07:50 PM

4-5 days indoc, 2-3 days systems, 2-3 days flight training. Depends on equipment.

dera 07-28-2018 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by AKwarts (Post 2644403)
Expect about 3-4 weeks until you are on ioe/ or the line. First week is probably going to be company info, opsecs, FARs,weather. Systems and an oral come next. Expect to only have 2-3 training flights and then check ride. Best advice for anyone going to their first ground school is keep your mouth shut in class. its easy to get wrapped into telling war stories and it not only wastes time but derails the class. Good luck.

135 VFR, lol no way.

AKwarts 07-29-2018 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by dera (Post 2644435)
135 VFR, lol no way.

both the ones i went to were that way (both twin turbine IFR) and initial VFR 135 classes were that long too. Granted my experience is limited to Alaska.

JohnBurke 07-30-2018 12:22 AM

135 training really depends on the company. I've arrived at a company with current 135 elsewhere, been given a fast crash course on company indoc, a quick flight, and sent for a checkride with the POI. I've arrived with another employer, very 135 current, and been given two weeks of indoc, nearly three weeks of factory training, thrown in a pool, put our fires, given training between points, days of approaches in the soup, and then a FAA checkride, resulting in weeks of training, and the longest took a couple of months or so. In other cases, I've been tossed the books, told to go home and study, be ready for a checkride the next day. Then another, then another, until I was checked out in all the aircraft.

Generally it's basic indoc with company material, then whatever's needed for the type of operation and training. If you're going to FSI or Simuflite, then you've got that time to consider.

Compared to 121 operations, where I've gone over two months with the initial training and type, then nearly six months total getting online before going right back for recurrent...the 135 has always gone fairly quickly.

Your own experience will vary with the operator, aircraft, type of operation, etc. Be wary of those who push you too quickly or give inadequate training and preparation. Don't agree to a checkride until you're ready; it's your reputation and certificate on the line.

SonicFlyer 07-30-2018 10:40 AM

What kind of questions about Part 91 can I expect? :confused:

AKwarts 07-30-2018 07:33 PM

What you need to know is that Part 91 comes into play when the weather is down or you’re over duty. A lot of 135s want you to get the job done and can use the part 91 excuse to force you into something that otherwise wouldn’t be legal in 135 for example going over duty or filing an IFR because weather is below VFR/Special mind.

ianred 07-30-2018 07:35 PM

1 week tops for 135 vfr ops.

MaxMar 07-30-2018 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by AKwarts (Post 2644403)
keep your mouth shut in class. its easy to get wrapped into telling war stories and it not only wastes time but derails the class.

Preach, sir! So true.