Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Pay to Fly Programs

Old 08-01-2018, 10:21 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2005
Position: B777/CA retired

Originally Posted by da42pilot View Post
What perspective? I posted a question, not a perspective.
You don’t pay to work at a job,the job pays you. It’s that effing simple. If you pay to fly you are screwing yourself and every other professional out there. Do you pay to work at a bank, program computers, fix cars at a repair shop? I don’t think so.

Don’t be a dumbass. Find a job that pays you, like everyone else has. Low time? Instruct or fly banners. Drop skydivers, tow gliders.

Pay to fly just says you have no judgement, you are looking for a shortcut and you can’t be trusted to show respect for yourself or the profession. Can I make it any clearer?
Old 08-02-2018, 01:24 PM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Jul 2018
Position: Embraer RJ - Captain

Originally Posted by cactusmike View Post
You don’t pay to work at a job,the job pays you. It’s that effing simple. If you pay to fly you are screwing yourself and every other professional out there. Do you pay to work at a bank, program computers, fix cars at a repair shop? I don’t think so.

Don’t be a dumbass. Find a job that pays you, like everyone else has. Low time? Instruct or fly banners. Drop skydivers, tow gliders.

Pay to fly just says you have no judgement, you are looking for a shortcut and you can’t be trusted to show respect for yourself or the profession. Can I make it any clearer?

Cactusmike, i like to believe we are all professionals on here and joined together by our mutual love of flying. It is clear by your post we all know where you stand on this "PTF" issue that has plagued our industry. Inferring the gentleman or lady who posed the question on behalf of a friend a "Dumbass" does not move the discuss in a positive direction.

Lets keep it civil my dear colleague.
Old 08-03-2018, 07:10 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2015

Job fairs and resume / app review services are the new PFT.
Old 08-03-2018, 07:47 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2015
Position: Left seat bizjet

He’s right you know. Unless there’s some weird visa situation wherein he can pay to fly but can’t legally get a real job.

Originally Posted by baba70 View Post
Cactusmike, i like to believe we are all professionals on here and joined together by our mutual love of flying. It is clear by your post we all know where you stand on this "PTF" issue that has plagued our industry. Inferring the gentleman or lady who posed the question on behalf of a friend a "Dumbass" does not move the discuss in a positive direction.

Lets keep it civil my dear colleague.
Old 08-03-2018, 07:47 AM
weekends off? Nope...

Joined APC: Apr 2014

What perspective? I posted a question, not a perspective.

The perspective that a pay-to-fly scheme as "fallen victim". SMH...
Old 08-03-2018, 08:29 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2017

There are some programs still around...they don't compete with Americans trying to get jobs...they fly as copilots that only become a "required crew member" when assigned by dispatch, with wording that allows them to LEGALLY log the time with a letter from the FAA.
Eagle jet still places copilots in be-1900/sa-227 in various companies, with no chance of upgrade...it's a pay by the hour for the time situation, the go home with ATP mins, get a job...one Asian carrier actually pays for loan used to get the time once you get a job flying a a320/737 with them when you leave with 1500....
If you friend is willing and able to get a loan for $+ 75,000, and can support himself in the USA for 18+ months...it's a possibility...
But typically only for the well off.
Old 08-03-2018, 12:31 PM
Line Holder

Position: TBD
Default application services

I'm sort of surprised pay to apply services like the climbto350, airline apps, etc. still exist to find a job. I expect these to move to indeed or similar soon.
Old 08-03-2018, 09:44 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2018

Originally Posted by loganeich View Post
I'm sort of surprised pay to apply services like the climbto350, airline apps, etc. still exist to find a job. I expect these to move to indeed or similar soon.
Application services will never die out. I know plenty of employers that will not advertise on a free platform. They dont want someone to just copy and paste their resume to them off a list of companies.

They want to know you are serious and many of them feel that you paying $15/Month shows that you are more serious than stumbling upon a job on indeed.

All about appearances and how to play their game.
Old 08-05-2018, 02:28 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by Smooth at FL450 View Post
The perspective that a pay-to-fly scheme as "fallen victim". SMH...

That expression means nothing more than the pilot shortage killed them. I am not shedding any tears over it, in fact I’m quite glad they’re dead.
Old 08-05-2018, 05:56 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2010
Position: Baja Vermont

That expression means nothing more than the pilot shortage killed them. I am not shedding any tears over it, in fact I’m quite glad they’re dead.
Then why are helping someone buy flight time rather than earn the time by demonstrated skill?

GF