Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Mokulele Pay to Fly

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2018, 06:36 AM
Perennial Reserve

Joined APC: Jan 2018

Originally Posted by say again View Post
Looks like we found out who failed out of training there...
Seriously? You are throwing shade at a guy for pointing out that you'll be living on ramen noodles at FO wages? Or that Hawaii at least has a wide selection of ramen noodles? They have a better selection of Spam than the other 49'states too, but I doubt you could afford it often on an FOs salary. Especially once you've paid for SIC "training" in a turbine suburban, an aircraft that doesn't require an SIC.

STAR Marianas seems like a better deal.
Old 09-12-2018, 12:28 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2018

Originally Posted by Excargodog View Post
throwing shade
What a time to be alive.
Old 09-17-2018, 03:02 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2017

Originally Posted by oregonflyer2211 View Post
This is bad. You would think they learned when the internet found out that someone needed a GoFundMe to work there (who then failed out of training). Now you have to actually pay them for the opportunity to be a sky god right seater in the almighty C208?!

Pay for training is still unacceptable...especially for a Caravan! $7,000 to be an SIC in a 208? Absolutely ridiculous - especially so in this market.

Furthermore, they cite that senior captains make in excess of $74/hour. Not only is that nothing to write home about but you have to be at the company for 6 years to hit that number.

A first year FO, as of the 2017 payscale, makes $19,000 yearly. This does not account for income tax in Hawaii. Plan to see about $16,000 or less your first year. A first year captian will bring home $38,000 pre-tax and a second year captain $43,000 pre tax.

Did I mention Hawaii is the most expensive state to live in? But hey, they have some of the best ramen selection in the supermarkets I've ever seen so at least you will starve with some dignity!

If they think this will somehow magically fix their captain problem and increasing pay won't, they have their heads so far up their ass they will not survive... yes people love MW in the islands and they do great business here, but you have to have pilots to keep the company viable too.

I'm shocked they aren't just phasing away first officers in general and adding their pay onto the captain's pay. It would solve a lot of their issues pretty quickly.
How do you know she failed out of training?
Old 09-17-2018, 10:09 PM
New Hire

Joined APC: Sep 2018

Originally Posted by SoFloFlyer View Post
How do you know she failed out of training?

It's not exactly classified information
Old 09-18-2018, 01:35 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by fly808 View Post
It's not exactly classified information
You’re correct, but the question still stands lol
Old 09-18-2018, 02:49 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2014

I’m not a proponent of “pay to play” but I think this deserves a second look. So instead of going to a flight school that includes all the multi-engine training, I would recommend only pursuing the commercial single engine instrument rating at about half the cost, roughly $35k. Then pay the $7000 for your c208 training with high performance sign off (perhaps a tax write off).

At 1200 total, upgrade to Captain and then approaching 1500 hours get a commercial mult engine in 25 hours. Like I said, I am not in favor of pay to play and I absolutely agree Hawaii is very expensive to live but if you crunch the numbers, this route may actually save you money and get you scheduled 135 turbine experience with a pathway to an RJ in less time.

On the other hand, if this is a turd company, they may hire twice or more the FOs needed and you sit reserves for 25 flight hours a month. Even worse, foreign airlines pay to have their cadets sit in the right seat to build hours. It can only work if you get 75 plus hours of flight time a month! Otherwise, the cost of living in Hawaii for extended period of time will outweigh the benefit.

If you are motivated one could probably earn a Comm Sel with Instrument in about half a year. Any thoughts?

Last edited by 155mm; 09-18-2018 at 03:17 PM.
Old 09-18-2018, 04:05 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Apr 2018

Originally Posted by 155mm View Post
I’m not a proponent of “pay to play” but I think this deserves a second look. So instead of going to a flight school that includes all the multi-engine training, I would recommend only pursuing the commercial single engine instrument rating at about half the cost, roughly $35k. Then pay the $7000 for your c208 training with high performance sign off (perhaps a tax write off).

At 1200 total, upgrade to Captain and then approaching 1500 hours get a commercial mult engine in 25 hours. Like I said, I am not in favor of pay to play and I absolutely agree Hawaii is very expensive to live but if you crunch the numbers, this route may actually save you money and get you scheduled 135 turbine experience with a pathway to an RJ in less time.

On the other hand, if this is a turd company, they may hire twice or more the FOs needed and you sit reserves for 25 flight hours a month. Even worse, foreign airlines pay to have their cadets sit in the right seat to build hours. It can only work if you get 75 plus hours of flight time a month! Otherwise, the cost of living in Hawaii for extended period of time will outweigh the benefit.

If you are motivated one could probably earn a Comm Sel with Instrument in about half a year. Any thoughts?
Why wouldn’t you just get a CPL ASEL, do an ME add-on (as you suggested) and then get paid to fly things for the rest of your hours instead of paying this $7000 at all?

I don’t see how this is better. Lots of people do ME add-ons.
Old 09-18-2018, 04:20 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2014

Originally Posted by tacocat View Post
Why wouldn’t you just get a CPL ASEL, do an ME add-on (as you suggested) and then get paid to fly things for the rest of your hours instead of paying this $7000 at all?

I don’t see how this is better. Lots of people do ME add-ons.
I didn’t realize there were flying jobs out there with 250 hours tt. If that’s the case, absolutely.
Old 09-19-2018, 07:04 AM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Feb 2017

Originally Posted by 155mm View Post

I don't think it saves money at all man. it's not like you don't pay for the multi rating / 25 hours eventually with this path, the only difference is that you aren't required to get it until you leave mokulele.
Old 09-19-2018, 10:06 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by Luewk View Post
I don't think it saves money at all man. it's not like you don't pay for the multi rating / 25 hours eventually with this path, the only difference is that you aren't required to get it until you leave mokulele.
I’d even say that you use that $7,000 for a CFI and get a multi add on when you get closer to atp mins.