Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Pro Airways

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2009, 02:20 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2008
Position: CRJ-700 FO
Default Pro Airways

Anyone know anything about Professional Airways? Located south of Boston at Plymouth, MA (KPYM). I think they have a couple Beechjets, maybe one or two Hawkers, and a King Air 200. Any word greatly appreciated.

Professional Airways, LLC
Old 09-26-2009, 03:23 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Oct 2008

Not too sure if they are hiring right now to be honest with you. I did, however interview there last year and turned them down. Position would have been a first officer in the Beechjet. YOU have to pay for your own type rating, although they say that they will pay you back over the span of a year. Schedule is 24/7 on call, although they give you 6 days per month that you can set as a hard day off, however if they absolutely need you, they can call you and expect you to come into work....that doesn't sound like a hard day off to me, although I guess you just don't have to answer your phone. Also, have to live within 1hour from PYM. Salary didn't look too bad (can't remember the numbers though...sorry)

I chose to stay away from them and am in a much better situation now, however everybody does what they need to do to put bread on the table. I just can't justify them hiring you to do a job for them basically, and making YOU pay to get qualified in their equipment...but that is whole other conversation for another time. Hope this helps a bit and best of luck to you.
Old 09-27-2009, 07:48 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Aug 2009
Position: Jetstream 3201 ....right

I have a hard time with the the mandatory 24/7 on call. I still view on call as on duty. Now i can be available to fly 24/7 and take a trip at my option but that's a little abusive I think. Anyone else?
Old 09-28-2009, 04:57 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2008
Position: Just a broker now.

If you don't like 24/7 then don't be in On Demand.
Old 09-28-2009, 05:14 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Oct 2008

Originally Posted by i121ADX View Post
If you don't like 24/7 then don't be in On Demand.

True, but just because you are an "on demand" charter pilot does not mean you have to LIKE being on call 24/7. Every single on demand charter pilot I have spoken to has always had something negative to say about being on call 24/7....I guess there are alot of unhappy pilots out there.

Me, I love my job...I just get annoyed sometimes that my schedule is essentially ruled and played out by the ringing of my cell phone and.....oh sorry, have to cut this short, work is calling me right now..
Old 09-28-2009, 08:51 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Feb 2008

Originally Posted by HungryPilot View Post
I have a hard time with the the mandatory 24/7 on call. I still view on call as on duty. Now i can be available to fly 24/7 and take a trip at my option but that's a little abusive I think. Anyone else?
I agree. It is very abusive, and illegal. Even the available/option scenario you mention is not considered "rest" by the FAA. See more on this topic at http://www.airlinepilotforums.com/pa...-not-rest.html. Here's a quote from that thread:

Originally Posted by SR22 View Post
For those who do not know, there are several interpretive letters issued by the FAA regarding the definition of rest. Here is a quote from one of them, a letter from Donald P. Byrne, Assistant Chief Counsel, FAA, to Frederick G. Pappas, Jr., Director, Flight Services, Midwest Corporate Aviation, Inc. (June 24, 1991):

"[A] rest period must be prospective in nature. Stated another way, a flight crewmember must be told in advance that he or she will be on a rest period for the duration required by the regulations. In addition, a rest period must be free of all restraint....Moreover, a flight crewmember in a rest period must be free of present responsibility for work should the occasion arise." (see link below)

The US Court of Appeals, First Circuit found that interpretation of rest to be reasonable. They also found that the FAA could take enforcement action against pilots and 135 certificate holders for violating that interpretation (again see link below).

So, at the end of every 14 hours on call a 135 operator must release a pilot for 10 hours of rest if they expect him/her to be legal for another 14 hours at the beginning of the next 24. On-call is not rest time!...

http://www.ca1.uscourts.gov/pdf.opin...9-1888-01A.pdf
Old 09-28-2009, 10:33 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Dec 2008

Alot of people here don't really seem too interested in whether it is legal or not. This topic has been covered and the consensus seems to be "the local FSDO lets me do it" and "if you won't go along to get along then charter is not for you". It will be interesting with the aftermath of Colgan 3407 to see how it rolls down hill. After what happened with the FAA Safety Inspector in that case it would not suprise me to see a bunch of pilots and dispatchers get violated at charter outfits in order to cover their rear ends. Previous law is pretty clear on this issue. The Inspectors have got to be concerned that in the event of an accident, after all of the fatigue issues in the news, they will be punished for allowing it. I wouldn't expect this to be overlooked anymore. And they can also go back and check past practice in the event of an accident/incident.
Old 09-28-2009, 10:52 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2008
Position: Just a broker now.

Originally Posted by skybob View Post
Alot of people here don't really seem too interested in whether it is legal or not. This topic has been covered and the consensus seems to be "the local FSDO lets me do it" and "if you won't go along to get along then charter is not for you". It will be interesting with the aftermath of Colgan 3407 to see how it rolls down hill. After what happened with the FAA Safety Inspector in that case it would not suprise me to see a bunch of pilots and dispatchers get violated at charter outfits in order to cover their rear ends. Previous law is pretty clear on this issue. The Inspectors have got to be concerned that in the event of an accident, after all of the fatigue issues in the news, they will be punished for allowing it. I wouldn't expect this to be overlooked anymore. And they can also go back and check past practice in the event of an accident/incident.
135 Opeators do not have dispatchers and therefore do not have an airman rating. This would fall under the Cheif Pilot and the flight follower would not get in trouble.
Old 09-28-2009, 10:58 AM
Line Holder

Oh, in that case there is nothing to worry about
Old 09-28-2009, 10:59 AM
Line Holder

I would imagine "operational authority" would come into play.