In a land of unicorns

Joined APC: Apr 2014
Position: Whale FO

Wow.
That's all I can say. Wow.
Old 09-10-2018, 09:08 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2017

And maybe get based in beautiful downtown Imperial California! 110 degrees F in the summer, 20 feet below sea level (so you will be swimming when 'the big one' hits). Oh, and make sure you see that the $15,000 bonus is paid after IOE with SkyWest, *not* with Mokulele.

Last edited by PT6 Flyer; 09-10-2018 at 09:37 AM.
Old 09-10-2018, 10:01 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2015

This is embarrassing and a shame for the industry. I hope ALPA and the other unions step on that issue.

For me everyone that pays to fly is as bad as a scab
Old 09-10-2018, 11:08 AM
weekends off? Nope...

Joined APC: Apr 2014

Originally Posted by mike sierra View Post
This is embarrassing and a shame for the industry. I hope ALPA and the other unions step on that issue.

For me everyone that pays to fly is as bad as a scab
Then you really have no idea what a scab is.

Not supporting pay to fly at all, but let’s not get carried away.
Old 09-10-2018, 11:09 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2011

This is ridiculous. I’m genuinely shocked that this is out there in the current climate.
Old 09-10-2018, 11:38 AM
All is fine at .79

Joined APC: Sep 2016
Position: Paahlot

Its pay for training not P2F, what am I missing?
You get paid as an FO...
Old 09-10-2018, 12:09 PM
New Hire

Joined APC: Jan 2018

This is bad. You would think they learned when the internet found out that someone needed a GoFundMe to work there (who then failed out of training). Now you have to actually pay them for the opportunity to be a sky god right seater in the almighty C208?!

Originally Posted by TiredSoul View Post
Its pay for training not P2F, what am I missing?
You get paid as an FO...
Pay for training is still unacceptable...especially for a Caravan! $7,000 to be an SIC in a 208? Absolutely ridiculous - especially so in this market.

Furthermore, they cite that senior captains make in excess of $74/hour. Not only is that nothing to write home about but you have to be at the company for 6 years to hit that number.

A first year FO, as of the 2017 payscale, makes $19,000 yearly. This does not account for income tax in Hawaii. Plan to see about $16,000 or less your first year. A first year captian will bring home $38,000 pre-tax and a second year captain $43,000 pre tax.

Did I mention Hawaii is the most expensive state to live in? But hey, they have some of the best ramen selection in the supermarkets I've ever seen so at least you will starve with some dignity!

If they think this will somehow magically fix their captain problem and increasing pay won't, they have their heads so far up their ass they will not survive... yes people love MW in the islands and they do great business here, but you have to have pilots to keep the company viable too.

I'm shocked they aren't just phasing away first officers in general and adding their pay onto the captain's pay. It would solve a lot of their issues pretty quickly.
Old 09-10-2018, 12:11 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2011
Position: CA

Originally Posted by oregonflyer2211 View Post
This is bad. You would think they learned when the internet found out that someone needed a GoFundMe to work there (who then failed out of training). Now you have to actually pay them for the opportunity to be a sky god right seater in the almighty C208?!

Pay for training is still unacceptable...especially for a Caravan! $7,000 to be an SIC in a 208? Absolutely ridiculous - especially so in this market.

Furthermore, they cite that senior captains make in excess of $74/hour. Not only is that nothing to write home about but you have to be at the company for 6 years to hit that number.

A first year FO, as of the 2017 payscale, makes $19,000 yearly. This does not account for income tax in Hawaii. Plan to see about $16,000 or less your first year. A first year captian will bring home $38,000 pre-tax and a second year captain $43,000 pre tax.

Did I mention Hawaii is the most expensive state to live in? But hey, they have some of the best ramen selection in the supermarkets I've ever seen so at least you will starve with some dignity!

If they think this will somehow magically fix their captain problem and increasing pay won't, they have their heads so far up their ass they will not survive... yes people love MW in the islands and they do great business here, but you have to have pilots to keep the company viable too.

I'm shocked they aren't just phasing away first officers in general and adding their pay onto the captain's pay. It would solve a lot of their issues pretty quickly.
Looks like we found out who failed out of training there...
Old 09-10-2018, 01:48 PM
New Hire

Joined APC: Jul 2018
Position: Looking.

When I see this stuff is confirmation to me there is no real pilot shortage at the entry level pilot jobs. I was talking to a couple of experienced ex-airline pilots recently and they claim that logging hours from 500 to 1500 (so you can get your ATP) is the bottleneck in the Airline Pilot pipeline right now. And that is why some people might take this 'Pay to Fly' or 'Pay to Train' programs.

The Mokulele website claims you will double your 'initial investment' as they call it, in the form of a 15K bonus, that is assuming a participant of this program will pass the 135 training get hired by Mokulele, and maybe after 2 or 3 years pass the IOE with Skywest and get hired.

And to the 7K you have to add your living expenses plus relocation to the training site.