TMC Jet Or wheelsup/Gama Aviation

Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

TMC Jet Or wheelsup/Gama Aviation

Old 10-07-2018, 05:49 AM
weekends off? Nope...

Joined APC: Apr 2014

Originally Posted by Dragon Jet View Post
Well , I don’t know what to say or expect in aviation any more .

I have sent my resume to XO and never heard back ,since not been current for a few years but I believe experience always should matter since you can put any person in the class to be current .

It’s not funny when the endeavor Pilot Recruiter tells me if I am willing to pay my self to be current in C-172 in order to get an interview .

With over 5000TT and 4K multi over 3k Jet and PIC time and over 2k jet PIC with 3 Type Rating , No sir no need C-172 in this time of aviation to be considered.maybe 25 years ago but times been changed .

Thank y’all

How far out of currency are you? 1-2 years and I might agree with you. More than that and I'd agree with the recruiters. 5000 isn't a lot of time, so if it was that long ago you may want to take their advice. Other doors are likely to open as soon as you regain some currency.

Airlines need to hire somebody they know can get through training without issue. Recency of experience is a big part of that.
Old 10-08-2018, 03:46 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Oct 2018

I have sent my resume to XO and never heard back ,since not been current for a few years but I believe experience always should matter since you can put any person in the class to be current .

It’s not funny when the endeavor Pilot Recruiter tells me if I am willing to pay my self to be current in C-172 in order to get an interview .

With over 5000TT and 4K multi over 3k Jet and PIC time and over 2k jet PIC with 3 Type Rating , No sir no need C-172 in this time of aviation to be considered.maybe 25 years ago but times been changed .

Thank y’all
I applied to XOjet as well, I am current, and never heard anything back. We are not alone, on a corporate aviation fb group I'm on, there was quite a few people saying they never heard back as well. Even just a copy and pasted email saying TBNT is better than nothing. For me, that just throws up red flags of a poorly managed company or a company that doesn't care enough to reply to people who spent 30 minutes or so filling out an app for them.
Old 10-08-2018, 06:03 PM
weekends off? Nope...

Joined APC: Apr 2014

[QUOTE=Tankerds;2688229 Even just a copy and pasted email saying TBNT is better than nothing. For me, that just throws up red flags of a poorly managed company or a company that doesn't care enough to reply to people who spent 30 minutes or so filling out an app for them.[/QUOTE]

Better to know that sooner rather than later...
Old 10-13-2018, 09:46 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2012
Position: Holiday Inn, King Non-Smoking

Thank y’all

Go for TMC. Sounds like you'll fit in just great.
Old 10-14-2018, 06:04 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jul 2014
Position: 135Cancer

I say go to TMC and interview. They're going to shove you into an old, clapped out Citation sim. When you climb in, just say, "Hey, I really just need a BFR. You mind signing me off?"
Old 10-15-2018, 06:16 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2012
Position: Holiday Inn, King Non-Smoking

Wouldn’t be any different than any of the other “experienced, multiple jet type rating but not current with superior intellect and badasserry” guys that failed their type rides there and made training a nightmare for their sim partners.
Old 10-18-2018, 04:33 PM
New Hire

TMC is a scumbag operator. Don't waste your career flying for a company that recently been sold out to a group of investors because it was loosing money due to poor management. They were force to downsize and had to settle on old Hawker 400s. Most of there pilots were happy to jump from sinking ship. If you are a minority don't even bother because this is NOT an equal opportunity employer.
Old 10-22-2018, 06:33 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2006
Position: B-737NG preferably in first class with a glass of champagne and caviar

Thank y’all
Not directed to you sir.... applies to any non-current pilot seeking employment with a 91(k). 135, 121, or 125 operator.

You are 100% correct, one’s currency clock can be reset through training.

Most 121 carries have their own flight simulators, to which there’s intracompany expenses accounted for concerning simulator training. Part 135 operators engage vendors through “142” operators to provide training for a specific cost per student based on seat position, and aircraft type. That said, the operator wants to make sure that training is concentrated on gaining knowledge of flying the aircraft specific, and not being distracted in instrument procedures. Hourly rates for simulator training can run as high as $1,200. That said, the reason for currency. Not unreasonable IMO, regardless the number of years and or hours in the air.

Its a waste recourses for the operator and an embarrassment to for the new hire if dropped from the program due to poor performance.
Old 03-18-2019, 10:29 AM
New Hire

Position: Row 1

You are free of course to make your own decisions but be patient and bear in mind that all these 135 operators are basically the same. NETJETS, GAMA XO and DPJ (now) are at the top really in that order as they have the money to operate on a relatively safe platform. NETJETS train and test to part 121. These four are not included in my comments.
The others, some are in the ballpark better than others, some are like a used car lot despite the rantings of the sycophants and other 'team players' where SOP's are inversely proportional to revenue.
Watch out for companies trying to grow too fast with that as some weird selling point. Growth requires infrastructure FIRST, proper investment and experience. Quality not Quantity.

What is your long term goal?? Choose wisely Dudes and Dudesses! meaning "y'all should go to the airlines"

So, are you getting proper training? (FSI) then after the sim real IOE time with standardized training syllabus, monitored and documented progress by a real training Captain with Jet training experience from a real training department. Not just dropped in with some old fart who doesn't follow checklists or SOP's, doesn't brief and thinks flying with defects helps the company.
Do you fly from Day 1 like the airlines do, not some ludicrous don't touch the controls for 25 hrs then no flying with Passengers , etc. You either have the rating or you don't. Watch the video's on the Lear crash at TEB, read the CVR transcript. This way of operating is way more common then you would like to know about.
If you are a Captain do you really have the experience? Do you get full recurrent training every six months or do they cheap out with a 6 month COT (if they do that, is it tailored to issues that crews have been having recently like busting SIDS and STARS).
If you really want a career in flying GO TO THE REGIONALS, suck up the lower pay, and conditions for real 121 time for the training and experience. Do your apprenticeship!
Remember a 121 carrier will ask you why you went to Catfish airways. What are you going to say? Well, my buddy was there, it was easier....But the money was good....I got to fly Left seat in a puddle jumper ....If so, then don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out of the interview if you even get one.
The bottom feeder 135s can ruin your career and when you do go to 121 your primacy of bad habits and misunderstandings will cause you a lot of issues. You are just cheap labor for them, a right seat busboy, you deserve better training after spending all your money originally.
Do they have structured Safety meetings regularly as ARGUS/WYVERN SMS mandates and are the de-identified minutes disseminated to the staff like Netjets do for education? Do they have a Trained Safety Manger with a confidential non-punitive reporting system? Or is the Safety person just a figurehead for the next audit? Do they even have an SMS albeit cut and paste and has anyone read it?
Check the background of the post holders, Does the Training manager have a background in structured Jet operations? Are the top management really experienced in Aviation and Airline trained or just used car salesmen? Have the dispatchers all passed the relevant exams so that their certificate is on the line also?
Is the owner/company financially sound? What other companies were they involved with? What happened there? This stuff is public domain, google the people first, then ask the questions knowing the truth.
Are they any lawsuits pending and/or settlements with the State department of labor? Are there any FAA violations?
What insurances do they have in place when on duty? Driving a rental car? In an UBER? Work related injuries?
Do they constantly feel the need to tell everyone how good and safe they are and how much they 'look after' their wonderful team? And how they never have incidents or violations? Do they just hide them or delete the reports.
Remember ARGUS Platinum means NO REPORTED INCIDENTS a structured safety reporting system and solid SMS. Be suspicious. Look for ISBAO stage 3, Stage 2 is OK and stage 1 means nothing at all.
An ARGUS/WYVERN GOLD company is a better bet as you know they have been relatively honest and they know they need to improve.
Do the same people post non-stop on social media about 'Nirvana aviation' and how great it all is and 'like' everything the company posts? Y'all need to run from these ones.
These are the due diligence questions you should be asking, if you don't like the answers or you a given the runaround then go elsewhere. If someone disagrees with these suggestions, look at who they work for and go elsewhere.
Also, don't always believe the social media postings saying good or bad, have a list of questions and ask every company the same ones and have a spreadsheet. A really smart interviewer will see your potential, if you are this diligent with yourself then you will be with their clients and equipment.
Be smart is what I am saying, it is your future! I am not attacking anyone in particular but the sea is full of sharks so build your cage and the best of luck. There is a lot of enjoyment to be had, it is up to you.
Old 03-18-2019, 02:20 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Sep 2014
Position: Freight Dawg

I’m happy at Gama Aviation. The King Air 350 is a nice airplane and the pay and benifits are good. The safety culture is real. IOE with a training captain follows initial training at Flight Safety. Six month training is also at Flight Safety. The company is working to operate like an airline with SOPs so you know what to expect from your crew mate. You stay in nice hotels on tour and keep the hotel points. You also keep the airline miles acrude commuting to and from work.