Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Hageland/Grant

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2018, 07:12 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Feb 2011

Originally Posted by C340 View Post
100%. Commuting up there and back sucked so bad. The moment we got off the dash from Bethel in Anchorage, it was every man for himself. The peace of mind of having a guaranteed seat to and from work cannot be overstated here.

I personally find instructing much more satisfying than the flying I did up there, but I was only ever an SIC. I am sure the sled was alot more fun!
It's not a spot to go to be just an SIC, in fact they have a small training contract now for a 1 year PIC commitment for those coming in low time. I really don't know anywhere else you can go and fly 80-120 hrs in 2 weeks and get 2 weeks off. That said no job is for everyone and my recommendation to anyone is to apply to multiple places and if you get multiple offers, really get to know the operations and make a choice that fits you. For example, I applied at Grant and never heard back but got hired at Ravn - so 1/2 the answer was made for me. I am an 800hr pilot with 135 experience and applied to all possibilities in the lower 48 and AK. Boutique, Cape Air, Grant, Ryan, ACE, Ravn, Ameriflight, etc.

It's good to have preferences on employment but in my experience there are a lot of applications for limited jobs.
Old 12-26-2018, 07:25 PM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Dec 2018

Thanks for the responses, on the commuting part. It don’t apply to me I live in Alaska and have no plans on leaving. I was looking for people that had/where working for both to find out the truth about them. People will tell you anything to get you in the door these days but few deliver. I should have a bunch of 135 right now but they was not truthful with me so I have a bunch of CFI time in a 172!
Old 12-26-2018, 10:41 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2017

Do not, I repeat, DO NOT sign a training contract to be a Caravan SIC.
Old 12-27-2018, 06:41 AM
Line Holder

Originally Posted by Knikflyer View Post
Thanks for the responses, on the commuting part. It don’t apply to me I live in Alaska and have no plans on leaving. I was looking for people that had/where working for both to find out the truth about them. People will tell you anything to get you in the door these days but few deliver. I should have a bunch of 135 right now but they was not truthful with me so I have a bunch of CFI time in a 172!
I know someone who worked at grant and loved it. I am at Ravn and so far it's great - people, operations, financial secure company. Since you are in AK, you know the lay of the land which is a hurdle for some coming up from the lower 48. I also have heard good things about Ryan. I don't think you can go wrong with any of them. There will be bad with any job. If I lived in Anchorage - ACE would be high on my list. Schedule not as good but upgrade to B1900 captain is quick for those that are local and work hard. I would say go meet and greet with Grant, Ravn, Ryan , ACE and Bering Air. The bad is the same for all of them - long days, loading/unloading, wx, delays etc. Not sure at the others but at Ravn, day rate applies even if fly or not - so not the the pressure to fly if wx or mx issues. Then PIC get paid extra over the 65ish hrs guarantee for a 2 week shift.

Ravn has recruiting events in ANC - not sure the next one - but good time to meet some pilots also.

Ravn had to start a training contract because SIC guys were leaving the minute they hit ATP or R-ATP time and the intent of the SIC program is to train from within to be PIC since SIC are not required except in the coveted B1900.
Old 12-27-2018, 08:59 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2017

Originally Posted by 29singlespeed View Post

Ravn had to start a training contract because SIC guys were leaving the minute they hit ATP or R-ATP time and the intent of the SIC program is to train from within to be PIC since SIC are not required except in the coveted B1900.
Seriously, screw whoever imposed this training contract. Hard. Pilots are jumping ship at ATP mins because the morons running the show over there decided to cut pilot pay. Literally they are the ONLY airline in the US that is reducing pilot pay, and those guys deserve it more than anyone. If you want pilots to stay, you need to make the job appealing with compensation, QOL, or other incentives - you don't trap them with a contract!

Jesus, that place is starting to sound like Mokulele. Next thing we know, they will start charging for Caravan training and then Swayne is going to setup fundraisers and pop out some video on how amazing it is to live in the 5-star pilot houses in the resort town of Bethel AK.

I'm not saying training contracts aren't worth it for some jobs, but this is NOT one of them. If Hageland wants pilots to consider this job as a career, the pilots need to be compensated appropriately, otherwise they have no room to complain when their pilots treat this job as the time-builder that it is. When I was there in 2017, our chief pilot at the time *encouraged* us to use Hageland as a stepping stone to our dream job. Imagine having leadership that actually had a clue!

Do yourself a favor and go get your CFI instead.
Old 12-28-2018, 03:31 PM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Dec 2018

I allready hold a CFI, I’m tired of seven days a week, all the time. Right now I have about one or two days a month off.

I did hear there was a lot of ****ed of pilots when they pulled pay so they had the money to buy Penn Air. Sounds like most of that has worked itself out.

I do agree that in today’s environment one shouldn’t need to sign a training contract for SIC in a 208, if they want guys to stay there are much better ways of doing it.
Old 12-28-2018, 04:07 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2005
Position: Still Swinging props!
Default Grant

The older I get, the better the time I had at Grant... but besides that, there’s not a week go by that I’m not answering questions from a young pilot about their first Part 135 job. It usually includes a suggestion to go to Grant, once they have time enough for a PIC position, and don’t leave until you get 500 or more hours of multi engine PIC time. PIC TIME.

If you leave an operation like Grant or Ravn before getting 500 or 1000 hrs of left seat, single pilot/ME/IFR time, you may not get the chance to build any for quite some time. And if those greener pastures you left for aren’t what they advertise to be, you ARE STUCK, not having the PIC time you need to go somewhere else. Slow down, get your bases (hours)covered, then exercise the options that open to you.

SIC spots make no sense to me, even if you’re talking about a 1900 or a CASA. Not unless you already have the above mentioned PIC time that shows you know your stuff. Even going to a 121 mainline OR regional before that 500 or 1000 hours of PIC/single pilot/ME/IFR time can be short sighted.

The pilot types that seem to go the distance are the ones that slug it out in the CFI trenches or flying patrol or VFR sight seeing ops, then hiring on as a PIC under 135, first as a single engine driver, then multi engine driver. Hold that spot unto you get that 1000 hour PIC benchmark, move on from there. What you learn there will help you become a better Captain in the future. I’ve seen how it sets those pilots apart.

Mind you, I’ve only been doing this since the 80s. On several continents, across many borders. I’ll put my family on any plane driven by an AK pilot that’s put in their dues, over any of the regional or mainline guys that have come up too quickly. But what do I know? I’m practically ancient. Consider the source.
Old 12-28-2018, 04:26 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2005
Position: Still Swinging props!
Default Commuting

The only way I could get back and forth reliably was on UPS or FEDEX. Thats one of the biggest problems with that life. If an operator is offering positive space seats, it’s golden.

If I can get the wife talked into it, I’d move back to Alaska and not look back! No commute issue if you’re already there. Good for you, Knik!

Too bad NAC and Everts don’t pay better to attract and keep local talent.
Old 12-28-2018, 04:35 PM
Line Holder

Originally Posted by Frozen Ronin View Post
The older I get, the better the time I had at Grant... but besides that, there’s not a week go by that I’m not answering questions from a young pilot about their first Part 135 job. It usually includes a suggestion to go to Grant, once they have time enough for a PIC position, and don’t leave until you get 500 or more hours of multi engine PIC time. PIC TIME.

If you leave an operation like Grant or Ravn before getting 500 or 1000 hrs of left seat, single pilot/ME/IFR time, you may not get the chance to build any for quite some time. And if those greener pastures you left for aren’t what they advertise to be, you ARE STUCK, not having the PIC time you need to go somewhere else. Slow down, get your bases (hours)covered, then exercise the options that open to you.

SIC spots make no sense to me, even if you’re talking about a 1900 or a CASA. Not unless you already have the above mentioned PIC time that shows you know your stuff. Even going to a 121 mainline OR regional before that 500 or 1000 hours of PIC/single pilot/ME/IFR time can be short sighted.

The pilot types that seem to go the distance are the ones that slug it out in the CFI trenches or flying patrol or VFR sight seeing ops, then hiring on as a PIC under 135, first as a single engine driver, then multi engine driver. Hold that spot unto you get that 1000 hour PIC benchmark, move on from there. What you learn there will help you become a better Captain in the future. I’ve seen how it sets those pilots apart.

Mind you, I’ve only been doing this since the 80s. On several continents, across many borders. I’ll put my family on any plane driven by an AK pilot that’s put in their dues, over any of the regional or mainline guys that have come up too quickly. But what do I know? I’m practically ancient. Consider the source.

I took sic to get my ifr skills tuned up , hit night mins and learn the operation. Could of gone direct to the sled with 200+ vfr 135 207 time but got my ifr in the 90s so need to get that up to speed. The sic is great to learn the ropes with an upgrade coming quick , an amazing opportunity for sub 500 hr guys also. Many were leaving to a regional before going pic which makes no sense as PIC time is quality as you say. Not to mention 2 weeks off is still better then a regional schedule. There is the opportunity to go to the 121 side once atp mins are met.

Looking forward to the opportunity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-28-2018, 06:18 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2017

Originally Posted by Frozen Ronin View Post

Some of the absolute best advice I have ever read in these forums.