Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2019, 03:52 PM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Dec 2018

Great advise thank you
Old 01-01-2019, 05:03 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2007

I got my start as a caravan copilot. It was a good opportunity to learn without being thrown to the wolves. However, it is NOT worth signing a one year sled PIC contract. How long you stay in the bush should really be determined by what your career goals. If your goal is to go to an airline you should leave for a regional as soon as you have 1,500 hours. If it is not, then you should stick around for some PIC time.
Old 02-28-2019, 11:33 AM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Feb 2019

Can anyone explain exactly what the C208 SIC training contract entails at Ravn? Thanks.
Old 02-28-2019, 12:02 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Feb 2011

1 year as pic with a $$ amount associated, so once you upgrade to a 207 captain you give them a year. The intent is to not have sic’s leave right at atp / r-atp mins.
Old 03-04-2019, 04:47 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2018

Stupid question...for those of you that commute from the Lower 48, what transportation do you use for work? Bring your own car? Uber?
Old 03-04-2019, 05:00 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Feb 2011

Originally Posted by smc2020 View Post
Stupid question...for those of you that commute from the Lower 48, what transportation do you use for work? Bring your own car? Uber?

You are at a base in a remote village and there are pilot cars and pilot housing. Look at where the bases are (not easy to get a car to since no roads to them) When in anchorage for training and getting supplies I have been renting a car as rates in winter / not tourist season has been $10-20 per day so cheaper than taxis/Uber even if only for an afternoon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-02-2019, 02:48 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Oct 2012
Position: Pirate

A couple other things to consider when looking at Hageland or Grant from my perspective. Obviously I’m more familiar with Grant...

Work schedule, the flying, housing and transportation in the bush are going to be very similar between the two. Both companies have had accidents and incidents in the last few years, look carefully at that, and look carefully at yourself. Flying in Alaska requires good airmanship and a willingness to say no to flights and to stand up for yourself.

Grant:
-No CASS, but paid tickets from home to work and back (keep the miles, you’ll be MVP sitting first class in no time). This is a HUGE benefit in my opinion.
-Daily rate includes $94 tax free per diem (awesome for reducing tax burden).
-Airvans are all glass cockpit.
-Caravans are being upgraded to G600txi, GTN750/650 and GFC600 ap’s. Navajo’s will be next I’ve heard.
-Health insurance employee contribution is expensive, HSA is offered, but not much better. (Not sure what Hageland offers).
-Great pilot and employee morale right now, company is doing well.
-No training contracts
-No SIC program, applicants need VFR 135 mins.
-No good way to get ATP, although if you met all the requirements the company would let you do your ATP checkride in their own plane with the FAA.
-Great guys in management

RAVN:
-CASS and better jumpseating options.
-Big company with options for moving up to the 1900’s or Dash-8’s, which is a great way to get your ATP and on to Alaska Airlines.
-Brand new caravans coming online
-SIC program for low time pilots.

I’m sure there are some more plus’s at RAVN, I’m just not as familiar.

Bethel has actually improved over the years... there are some pretty good restaurants, a nice movie theater, and a very nice recreation center with a full size pool...
Old 10-14-2019, 07:34 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2017

Originally Posted by gnew2 View Post
there are some pretty good restaurants, a nice movie theater, and a very nice recreation center with a full size pool...
Wow... Bethel has been trying to get that pool since the 1930s...