Westwind Air Service Hiring

Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Westwind Air Service Hiring

Old 01-14-2019, 10:38 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Feb 2017
Default Westwind Air Service Hiring

Westwind Air Service is a passenger, scenic tour operator out of Phoenix, Arizona. They fly tours out of Deer Valley, Phoenix (DVT), Sedona, Flagstaff, Grand Canyon, Page, Monument Valley, and more. They also do cargo and charter flights (as well as flights to Mexico), although the passenger operations are the majority of their flying. In addition, each year, they are part of Burner Express Air, the "airline" of Burning Man and stay in Reno for the 10ish days that Burning Man goes on. This company operates year-round.

They fly 6 Cessna 208Bs, 3 Cessna T207s, and 1 Cessna T206. All flying is single pilot, so yes, you get PIC Turbine time when flying the Caravans.

You are required to relocate to Phoenix, Arizona for the job. There is pilot housing at the Grand Canyon and Page, as you may be required during your weeks on to stay the night at these houses provided for free (no rent payments at all). You work 2 weeks on, one week off.

This job has been an amazing opportunity to me. The people that are here really care about the company, and are great to work with. It was so much fun. I was checked out in all three aircraft, flew 5815 miles total during Burning Man, crossed the Mexican border 8 times, and much, much more. This company is unique and unlike any other flying you have probably done or may ever do.

If you have any questions, PLEASE please PM me and I'd be happy to tell you more!!

TO APPLY: https://www.westwindairservice.com/careers/
Old 01-20-2019, 04:24 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2008
Position: JAFO- First Observer

Looks like a fun gig. What’s the pay like?
Old 01-20-2019, 05:45 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2011

Been keeping my eye on these guys for when I get more time. What are competitive mins?
Old 01-20-2019, 07:40 PM
In a land of unicorns

Joined APC: Apr 2014
Position: Whale FO

Originally Posted by kaputt View Post
Been keeping my eye on these guys for when I get more time. What are competitive mins?
135 VFR mins. Sounds like a good gig, everyone I know from Westwind likes it.
Old 01-21-2019, 09:28 AM
New Hire

Joined APC: Dec 2018

How many hours do you fly per month/year? Is it strictly VFR flying or do you get to build any IFR time as well? Also are night routes flown? Thanks
Old 01-23-2019, 07:10 PM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Oct 2017

PM sent. Thanks!
Old 01-23-2019, 09:38 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Feb 2017

Originally Posted by JosephBuss View Post
How many hours do you fly per month/year? Is it strictly VFR flying or do you get to build any IFR time as well? Also are night routes flown? Thanks
There have been pilots that average around 500+ hours a year. It's strictly VFR because when you fly in clouds, people don't see anything on the tour! haha night routes would only be typically flown if it's a repositioning flight or cargo flights. To clarify, the majority of your flying at Westwind is during the day, so while there are some opportunities to fly at night, you may only get the last 0.5 of your cargo flight at night, but with the days getting longer and brighter each day now, it'll reduce that even more. Tours are mainly conducted during the day. I know in the past, sometimes, there are people who request tours during sunset, but overall, it's not common.

Originally Posted by kaputt View Post
Right now, the company is really struggling for pilots so I'd say to send your resume in if you are at the bare minimums of Part 135 VFR minimums (500 total time, 100 XC, 25 night XC, commercial certificate, high performance endorsement)
Old 01-24-2019, 05:51 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2019

Originally Posted by quitty123456789 View Post
There have been pilots that average around 500+ hours a year. It's strictly VFR because when you fly in clouds, people don't see anything on the tour! haha night routes would only be typically flown if it's a repositioning flight or cargo flights. To clarify, the majority of your flying at Westwind is during the day, so while there are some opportunities to fly at night, you may only get the last 0.5 of your cargo flight at night, but with the days getting longer and brighter each day now, it'll reduce that even more. Tours are mainly conducted during the day. I know in the past, sometimes, there are people who request tours during sunset, but overall, it's not common.

Right now, the company is really struggling for pilots so I'd say to send your resume in if you are at the bare minimums of Part 135 VFR minimums (500 total time, 100 XC, 25 night XC, commercial certificate, high performance endorsement)

What’s the compensation like?
Old 01-25-2019, 12:41 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Apr 2017
Position: smoke and spider season

Originally Posted by Joebob21 View Post
What’s the compensation like?
salaried @ ~30k depending on what deductions you take on your taxes with a small bump when you move up to the caravan. In PHX, this is adequate to good, depending on how expensive your tastes are. There is also an end of year bonus (jan to jan) depending on how much flying you did over the year.

There is also per diem when you are away from PHX @ $25/night and for all day outstation cargo runs.

Schedule is 2 weeks on, 1 week off. No CASS or jumpseat agreements so commuting is not an option.

It is an excellent first 135 gig. I am working there currently and have no real complaints.
Old 01-26-2019, 08:14 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Aug 2017

I worked there as my first job after I got to 500 hours. (Instructed for about 100 hours before) It is still the most fun I’ve ever had at work. I wish they would pay more.