Airline Pilot Central Forums

Airline Pilot Central Forums (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/)
-   Part 135 (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/part-135/)
-   -   Alpine Air Updated (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/part-135/120014-alpine-air-updated.html)

250kt Final 02-18-2019 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by DreFlyer (Post 2766305)
Good info! Do you know if they have any outstation-based (gone all night) routes?

Not in Sioux Falls but they have some in Billings, Denver, SLC. Not up to speed on any base ops but I do remember Helena, Butte, Missoula were the only outstation bases in Montana.

TeamSasquatch 02-19-2019 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by 250kt Final (Post 2766365)
Not in Sioux Falls but they have some in Billings, Denver, SLC. Not up to speed on any base ops but I do remember Helena, Butte, Missoula were the only outstation bases in Montana.

Looking on Flight Aware, I see flights from BIL to: GPI MSO GTF HLN BZN BTM MLS SDY OLF COD and GCC.

I’m not sure what stays the day and what stays the night though.

250kt Final 02-19-2019 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by TeamSasquatch (Post 2766812)
Looking on Flight Aware, I see flights from BIL to: GPI MSO GTF HLN BZN BTM MLS SDY OLF COD and GCC.

I’m not sure what stays the day and what stays the night though.

They must have made some changes. COD and GCC were former Key Lime routes Alpine took over and they were Denver based. Looks like they switched to Billings base. OLF is only an early morning postal route. Another company takes UPS there though. MLS continues with two more stops and the pilot spends the day in SDY. Not a bad route and Alpine pays more on top of your standard 99 salary on that route due to three stops there and back. GTF continues onto Cut Bank and is Billings based home every night. BZN is also Billings based and a popular route don’t expect to get it. Routes are awarded to the most senior pilot who wants them. By far the most popular route is or was a postal flight out of Billings by 9 pm home by midnight. Their most senior guy holds that at 24 yrs seniority and counting last time I looked. Not sure if that still happens as the post office has been making cut backs.

New Guy 007 02-19-2019 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by 250kt Final (Post 2766982)
They must have made some changes. COD and GCC were former Key Lime routes Alpine took over and they were Denver based. Looks like they switched to Billings base. OLF is only an early morning postal route. Another company takes UPS there though. MLS continues with two more stops and the pilot spends the day in SDY. Not a bad route and Alpine pays more on top of your standard 99 salary on that route due to three stops there and back. GTF continues onto Cut Bank and is Billings based home every night. BZN is also Billings based and a popular route don’t expect to get it. Routes are awarded to the most senior pilot who wants them. By far the most popular route is or was a postal flight out of Billings by 9 pm home by midnight. Their most senior guy holds that at 24 yrs seniority and counting last time I looked. Not sure if that still happens as the post office has been making cut backs.

Just curious, anyone know if the pilots still load and unload their airplanes, a while back that was the norm?

smc2020 02-20-2019 02:38 AM

Originally Posted by New Guy 007 (Post 2767165)
Just curious, anyone know if the pilots still load and unload their airplanes, a while back that was the norm?

I don't believe they do, nor does Ameriflight.

New Guy 007 02-20-2019 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by smc2020 (Post 2767260)
I don't believe they do, nor does Ameriflight.

Thanks for the info, another quick question or two if you have a minute or two. Flown this kind of flying before, with the ups routes they were one leg out, one leg back, checked the website looks like that still for some bases, also not interested in the 99, are there bases that are 1900 only? Appreciate any replies you can find time to answer.

TeamSasquatch 02-20-2019 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by New Guy 007 (Post 2767682)
Thanks for the info, another quick question or two if you have a minute or two. Flown this kind of flying before, with the ups routes they were one leg out, one leg back, checked the website looks like that still for some bases, also not interested in the 99, are there bases that are 1900 only? Appreciate any replies you can find time to answer.

I think they would want you be dual qualified (99 and 1900). The OP did list 1900 mins as 1200hrs. This tells me it’s a quick upgrade. I think the fleet is 75% 1900C/D. How much time do you have? Location?

tanker95 02-20-2019 04:45 PM

Holy smokes...lots of questions to answer. Sorry guys! As of right now we are trying to acquire as many D models as possible. We don’t have plans for bigger aircraft as far as I know. The 1900 does the job very well. We do have some outstation based routes. HLN, BTM, MSO are but they are very senior so wouldn’t count on them for a bit. COD and GCC are now BIL routes. The postal routes go out early morning hours and return in the evening. UPS is all day time and basically all flights are one leg out one leg back except MLS GDV SDY. Pilots will help with loading a little bit but mostly rampers take care of all that due to liability reasons. They don’t want pilots lifting boxes if they have rampers to do it. You will be handing boxes out to a driver but that’s fairly easy work. Everyone starts in the 99 unless you have lots of 1900 time. Even then you’ll need to be dual qualified. I’d say 80% of the routes are 1900 anyways so it’s unlikely you’ll fly the 99 much after getting typed. Upgrades are quick. Inside of 6 months and sometimes even inside of 3 months. If you have 1900 time there’s a chance you’ll go to type school right after indoc. Phew!! I think I answered it all. Let me know if there are anymore questions! Thanks

New Guy 007 02-20-2019 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by tanker95 (Post 2767719)
Holy smokes...lots of questions to answer. Sorry guys! As of right now we are trying to acquire as many D models as possible. We don’t have plans for bigger aircraft as far as I know. The 1900 does the job very well. We do have some outstation based routes. HLN, BTM, MSO are but they are very senior so wouldn’t count on them for a bit. COD and GCC are now BIL routes. The postal routes go out early morning hours and return in the evening. UPS is all day time and basically all flights are one leg out one leg back except MLS GDV SDY. Pilots will help with loading a little bit but mostly rampers take care of all that due to liability reasons. They don’t want pilots lifting boxes if they have rampers to do it. You will be handing boxes out to a driver but that’s fairly easy work. Everyone starts in the 99 unless you have lots of 1900 time. Even then you’ll need to be dual qualified. I’d say 80% of the routes are 1900 anyways so it’s unlikely you’ll fly the 99 much after getting typed. Upgrades are quick. Inside of 6 months and sometimes even inside of 3 months. If you have 1900 time there’s a chance you’ll go to type school right after indoc. Phew!! I think I answered it all. Let me know if there are anymore questions! Thanks

Good evening tanker95, just sent you a PM.

smc2020 02-21-2019 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by New Guy 007 (Post 2767682)

I chatted with one of their pilots on another forum...started in the 99 and transitioned to the 1900 in about 3-4 months.