Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

CFI or Mokulele

Old 02-18-2019, 04:39 PM
In a land of unicorns

Joined APC: Apr 2014
Position: Whale FO

Originally Posted by captjns View Post
Mokulele may be availing themselves of the “Part 135 Second in Command Professional Development Program”

Advisory Circular AC No: 135-43

https://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/.../AC_135-43.pdf
Yes, it is a very recent change though. That made those hours legal after November 28 2018, assuming they had the PDP program in place then.
The old Caravan stuff Mokulele did VFR definitely wasn't loggable in my opinion. And the fact that FAA came up with the PDP, and made it IFR only, sort of confirms it.
Even though I know those hours are widely accepted.
Old 02-18-2019, 05:50 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2006
Position: B-737NG preferably in first class with a glass of champagne and caviar

Originally Posted by dera View Post
Yes, it is a very recent change though. That made those hours legal after November 28 2018, assuming they had the PDP program in place then.
The old Caravan stuff Mokulele did VFR definitely wasn't loggable in my opinion. And the fact that FAA came up with the PDP, and made it IFR only, sort of confirms it.
Even though I know those hours are widely accepted.
Agreed. If Mokulele is a P2P shop, then the IFR operations issue is answered for logging SIC time is issued.
Old 02-18-2019, 08:32 PM
New Hire

Joined APC: Feb 2019

Originally Posted by dera View Post
It's my personal opinion, reading the letter of the reg, that SIC time in a Caravan flying passengers VFR or IFR cargo flying is not legal.

I know of a case where FAA did not accept that time. But most of the time at least in the regional level it goes through no problems.
you are saying Cargo flying? but they are flying commercial carrying passengers, right? island hopping.
Old 02-18-2019, 08:37 PM
New Hire

Agreed. If Mokulele is a P2P shop, then the IFR operations issue is answered for logging SIC time is issued.
so basically the questions here is, whether it is legal to log both PIC if its a VFR operation? I do know, mokulele they do file IFR most of the time, maybe because they are flying commercial so its still required to do iFR?
Old 02-18-2019, 11:54 PM
Where's my Mai Tai?

Joined APC: Aug 2006
Position: fins to the left, fins to the right

IRO time is deducted from total time.
Who says it doesn’t count as total time?
Old 02-19-2019, 05:11 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Position: B-737NG preferably in first class with a glass of champagne and caviar

Originally Posted by Swedish Blender View Post
Who says it doesn’t count as total time?
Many foreign carriers employ(ed) IROs to perform solely as IROs. No takeoffs and no landings nor manipulation of controls. Their takeoffs and landings occur in the sim. On teh aircraft they sit in a seat make position reports, complete paperwork, and eat.
Old 02-19-2019, 05:17 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by themenace321 View Post
so basically the questions here is, whether it is legal to log both PIC if its a VFR operation? I do know, mokulele they do file IFR most of the time, maybe because they are flying commercial so its still required to do iFR?
Advisory Circular AC No: 135-43 provides relief for operators to provide underlying training programs which will allow SICs to log time on a C206 on steroids.

Still awaiting a response from a current/former Mokulele SIC as to whether it is/was a P2P operation.
Old 02-19-2019, 11:40 AM
New Hire

Advisory Circular AC No: 135-43 provides relief for operators to provide underlying training programs which will allow SICs to log time on a C206 on steroids.

Still awaiting a response from a current/former Mokulele SIC as to whether it is/was a P2P operation.
Anyone that works for mokulele can confirm? Looks like it’s legal for FO and the captain on the c208 to both log PIC
Old 02-19-2019, 01:34 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by themenace321 View Post
Anyone that works for mokulele can confirm? Looks like it’s legal for FO and the captain on the C208 to both log PIC
I would not encourage a Second in Command to log flight time as PIC especially when the individual is listed as SIC on the release. The intent of AC 135-43 is to allow a Part 135 operation to establish a Second in Command Pilot Development Program which allows SIC to log time towards their total time.

In think Boeing Aviator can provide confirmation as to Mokulele whether they have an established FAA approved SIC PDP. He can probably confirm whether or not Mokulele is or is not a P2P shop.
Old 02-19-2019, 08:53 PM
New Hire

[QUOTE=captjns;2766995]I would not encourage a Second in Command to log flight time as PIC especially when the individual is listed as SIC on the release. The intent of AC 135-43 is to allow a Part 135 operation to establish a Second in Command Pilot Development Program which allows SIC to log time towards their total time.

In think Boeing Aviator can provide confirmation as to Mokulele whether they have an established FAA approved SIC PDP. He can probably confirm whether or not Mokulele is or is not a P2P shop.[/QUOTE

I dont know if you know this guy Swayne Martin that does youtube videos who flew for Mokulele to time build. He is now at Envoy as a first officer
I am not sure what would be different if you act as a SIC and logging time towards your TT. Wouldnt you log TT in any flight anyways? The PIC time or dual given is my concern, because anyone can log TT easily but the airlines wants to see either PIC or dual given.