Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

FlyExclusive

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2021, 08:21 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2019

Originally Posted by Gators42 View Post
What’s considered residing within 1 hour of a “major” airport? I live within 1 hour of PNS and VPS which have flights to DFW, IAH, ATL, MIA daily.
Tagging along with this question. I live 2 live driving time from IAH but can get a flight from local airport to either IAH in about 40 mins or DFW in about 2 hrs. Is this acceptable?
Old 10-03-2021, 09:51 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2008
Position: Standing in front of the tank with a shopping bag
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Granadaman View Post
Regional FO here, mid 20's looking at either upgrading in the next 6 months, or making a career change to try corporate flying. I'm young enough that I could switch back to 121 if I really wanted to but corporate sounds like it has more perks. FO pay would be on par with captain pay at my regional. What is upgrade time like?
Hey Granadaman,

Former 121 Cargo guy here at flyExclusive, and a line pilot who helps out with recruiting. My honest answer mirrors TiredSoul's.. First off, flyExclusive is not a Part 91 Corporate operator, we are a Part 135 Charter Operator... A common mistake that many make... see further in my post. If your ultimate goal is Part 121 and you are already there established with a Regional, my advice would be to stay. Major Airline Interviewer..: "I see here that you left one of our code share partners for a Part 135 Carrier... Why?" Be sure and have a good answer for that one if you leave your Part 121 gig, because Legacy H.R. folks understand the Regionals that they codeshare with better than the 135 operators. I give this advice to anybody up to 50 years old, since the airlines have had nearly a century to get everything that they have pay and benefits wise and 135 operators are relatively new, quality ones anyway.

Also remember that Part 135 Charter flying is different than Part 91 Corporate or Part 91K Fractional flying. While Part 91 Corporate often pays 1.5 times what Part 135 or Part 91K Fractional do, their job security is pretty volatile and they often have to live where the plane is with little to no schedule.. Note, I said "often" and there are some unicorn outlier Part 91 Corporate jobs where the pilots have been there for 31 years and only fly rarely, and on scheduled days.. But those are outliers, IMHO.

Finally, if you like many of our current pilots here can no longer stomach Part 121 Regional flying because you don't want to or can't live in base, or you are desiring a schedule that you know a year in advance, then by all means you should consider one of the 91K or Part 135 Operators. I hear all the time that "Part 121 is garbage" or "Cargo is garbage", and when I ask them who they flew for, they say Trans States or a beat up Aero Commander flying Cargo. And I say "that's not 121 or Cargo..." That's like saying all women/men are bad because the only experience that you had with them was Rosie O'Donnell or Ron Howard's Brother. American, Delta, United, SWA, and some of the LCC's I consider "Part 121" and "UPS, FDX, ATI, Atlas, Kalitta, and Omni I consider "Cargo"

Bottom Line: If you are in your 20's and the REAL Part 121 is your goal, I recommend that you bite the bullet and stay at your Regional, especially if it is an AA wholly owned one with a flow. You are too young to have acquired too much debt, stability of a house, or to have had too many children/marriages/boats/etc. making crash pad life unbearable, so why not wait a few more years for an upgrade there and keep putting in your applications to your desired Legacies. If you were 50, I'd probably advise you differently because our QOL is much better than that of many Regionals, especially if you don't live in base so I hear.

How's that for honesty, LOL? Feel free to PM Amphibian or me with any questions that you might have.

Last edited by B727DRVR; 10-03-2021 at 09:55 PM. Reason: Part 91 Corporate and Part 135 Charter is not the same..
Old 10-03-2021, 09:58 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by PreciousCargo View Post
Tagging along with this question. I live 2 live driving time from IAH but can get a flight from local airport to either IAH in about 40 mins or DFW in about 2 hrs. Is this acceptable?
That should be fine, IMHO as long as your airport seems to have service on UAL and AA.. PM me your local airport code and I can ask someone..
Old 10-07-2021, 11:06 AM
Line Holder

Originally Posted by B727DRVR View Post
Hey Granadaman,

Former 121 Cargo guy here at flyExclusive, and a line pilot who helps out with recruiting. My honest answer mirrors TiredSoul's.. First off, flyExclusive is not a Part 91 Corporate operator, we are a Part 135 Charter Operator... A common mistake that many make... see further in my post. If your ultimate goal is Part 121 and you are already there established with a Regional, my advice would be to stay. Major Airline Interviewer..: "I see here that you left one of our code share partners for a Part 135 Carrier... Why?" Be sure and have a good answer for that one if you leave your Part 121 gig, because Legacy H.R. folks understand the Regionals that they codeshare with better than the 135 operators. I give this advice to anybody up to 50 years old, since the airlines have had nearly a century to get everything that they have pay and benefits wise and 135 operators are relatively new, quality ones anyway.

Also remember that Part 135 Charter flying is different than Part 91 Corporate or Part 91K Fractional flying. While Part 91 Corporate often pays 1.5 times what Part 135 or Part 91K Fractional do, their job security is pretty volatile and they often have to live where the plane is with little to no schedule.. Note, I said "often" and there are some unicorn outlier Part 91 Corporate jobs where the pilots have been there for 31 years and only fly rarely, and on scheduled days.. But those are outliers, IMHO.

Finally, if you like many of our current pilots here can no longer stomach Part 121 Regional flying because you don't want to or can't live in base, or you are desiring a schedule that you know a year in advance, then by all means you should consider one of the 91K or Part 135 Operators. I hear all the time that "Part 121 is garbage" or "Cargo is garbage", and when I ask them who they flew for, they say Trans States or a beat up Aero Commander flying Cargo. And I say "that's not 121 or Cargo..." That's like saying all women/men are bad because the only experience that you had with them was Rosie O'Donnell or Ron Howard's Brother. American, Delta, United, SWA, and some of the LCC's I consider "Part 121" and "UPS, FDX, ATI, Atlas, Kalitta, and Omni I consider "Cargo"

Bottom Line: If you are in your 20's and the REAL Part 121 is your goal, I recommend that you bite the bullet and stay at your Regional, especially if it is an AA wholly owned one with a flow. You are too young to have acquired too much debt, stability of a house, or to have had too many children/marriages/boats/etc. making crash pad life unbearable, so why not wait a few more years for an upgrade there and keep putting in your applications to your desired Legacies. If you were 50, I'd probably advise you differently because our QOL is much better than that of many Regionals, especially if you don't live in base so I hear.

How's that for honesty, LOL? Feel free to PM Amphibian or me with any questions that you might have.
Great explanation thanks! I'm just tired of being stuck at this pay but I think movement is going to be speeding up in the next year, it probably is best to hang out at my regional.
Old 10-07-2021, 11:14 AM
Gets Weekends Off

If you are sick of **** pay, I’m sure you have your apps in. We can’t tell you if you should stay or leave. Take the bull by the horns. Majors and fractionals are calling..
Old 10-11-2021, 07:37 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2007

Informant says either a vaccine or weekly testing is now required for all employees. This was supposed to take effect on the 5th this month. However several people aren’t vaccinated especially flight crew and they had attempted to be tested before their work week. Several had “run into problems getting tested” due to that reason now this testing policy is “suspended” until further notice. Company man won’t say but when they found how how many pilots were affected they couldn’t fathom having their dwindling pilot supply out without a test.

Two key points here
1. look what happens when a company acts on Impulsive behavior without research.
2. I’d be concerned trying to get hired at a company where lots of people have already quit/ don’t have proper staffing to weather temporary disturbances such as this new test policy keeping many out from flying.

Additional informant news…they actually designed a colorful memo trying to persuade (guilt trip) you into why the 15/13 schedule is better. Something along the lines of having an additional 13 days off per year and less time commuting on the airlines. Now I’m not hating on those who want to work that long if you like it more power to you. But the majority prefer the 8/6.

More key points
1. If this company is so great to work for….then why push pilots to think about changing schedules?
2. You get 7 additional days dealing with the company BS…I know lots of people where they were exhausted by day four dealing with the company.
3. 7 additional days you could potentially be paired with someone you can’t stand let alone a plane that is broken yet still flying. Or just a crappy plane all together with a crappy seat.
4. Fewer airline flights….you will earn less airline miles if that matters.
5. May 2020 when the 15/13 became mandatory. (Kind of why they are being a little cautious here now). They really want that schedule for everyone and it worked in their favor back then when they could control pilots with the fear not finding a new job. It’s a lot tougher now so they are begging. However all this shows is instability and no idea when they might or if they will change the schedule all together if they don’t get the results they want. Refer to the beginning of this post. See how impulsive they were without proper research. That’s this company’s specialty.

My informant and myself look forward to the “cheerleaders” /company man response
Old 10-11-2021, 12:00 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jun 2013
Default 15 and 13

Originally Posted by Amphibian View Post
Exceptionally fast upgrades (6-18 Months). We need an Argus rated crew, so between 100 and 250 PIC in type is required for upgrade depending on the PIC time of the other crewmembers. Pilots are currently flying 40 or more hours a month.

**** If you are Typed and Current with the following qualifications the starting Base Salary is $85,000 and the expected Captain upgrade time is 90 days or less. ATP with PIC Type Rating in assigned aircraft, 2500 TT, 750 PIC, 1000 Multi.****

Fleet promotions to the larger jets are from within, i.e, an Encore or Excel PIC moves to the G-IV SP but retains previous fleet Capt pay until they upgrade.

Lastly: Starting October 1, 2021 the 15/13 schedule pays an additional $10,000 per year.

Am I forced to take 15/13 if I do not want it?
Old 10-11-2021, 12:42 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Thumbs up No, you won't be forced.

Originally Posted by Condor73 View Post
Am I forced to take 15/13 if I do not want it?
No,

You won't be forced.. You will be on a 15/13 schedule through your IOE, but pilots are getting the 8/6 within 2 rotations after IOE and some are getting it immediately. They just have to have it balanced. Some are even on 8/6 IOE's... I was doing IOE on a pilot who had requested the 15/13, and he was sad that he had been assigned the 8/6 schedule: He was awarded the 15/13 on the last day of his IOE and he was elated. I was on an 8/6 schedule and would never go back because 6 days off just wasn't enough for me and my family. Different strokes, for different folks!

Lots of people are on the 8/6, but the Company is incentivising 15/13 with a $10,000/yr pay increase due to all the money saved on all the additional airline tickets, Uber, rental cars, etc that you have with the 8/6. PM me with any questions that you might have and I'll answer them as best I can.
Old 10-11-2021, 12:55 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jun 2013

Originally Posted by B727DRVR View Post
No,

You won't be forced.. You will be on a 15/13 schedule through your IOE, but pilots are getting the 8/6 within 2 rotations after IOE and some are getting it immediately. They just have to have it balanced. Some are even on 8/6 IOE's... I was doing IOE on a pilot who had requested the 15/13, and he was sad that he had been assigned the 8/6 schedule: He was awarded the 15/13 on the last day of his IOE and he was elated. I was on an 8/6 schedule and would never go back because 6 days off just wasn't enough for me and my family. Different strokes, for different folks!

Lots of people are on the 8/6, but the Company is incentivising 15/13 with a $10,000/yr pay increase due to all the money saved on all the additional airline tickets, Uber, rental cars, etc that you have with the 8/6. PM me with any questions that you might have and I'll answer them as best I can.

Thank you. I appreciate the info.
Old 10-11-2021, 03:43 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jan 2018

For the record, I would like to point out to 727DRVR, that this time it wasn't me pooping on FE............ However, I agree with 100LL's entire post and analysis...