Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Home Based FO jobs

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2019, 05:53 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2016
Position: Gulfstream Pilot

http://www.flyexclusive.com/EJL%20Pa...er%2001-19.pdf

My apologies if the link included above and in previous post to First Officer Payscale did not work. The info is also up to date on APC page. See link below:

https://www.airlinepilotcentral.com/...5/flyexclusive

Originally Posted by arrrrree View Post
Awesome, what do they start out paying?
Old 04-02-2019, 10:34 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2016

Originally Posted by Jkmsr View Post
Gama Aviation.
I second Gama...you would start at 55 if you have an atp.
Old 04-02-2019, 03:07 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Sep 2014
Position: Freight Dawg
Default Empire Airlines

I worked for Empire Airlines for seven years. I was home every night. They are a FEDEX feeder company. There are eight FEDEX feeder companies in North America. So there is probably a base near your home.
I am now home based for Gama Aviation flying Wheelsup King Airs. It is an eight days on six days off schedule. The company airlines me to my plane on day one and home on day eight.
Old 04-02-2019, 04:49 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2015
Position: Yes

FlyExclusive.
Several Gama guys working here. A hard day is 3 legs and then going to a hotel. Typically 2 legs with one being an empty repo. I came because a friend worked here and everything he told me has held true. Everything the company has told me has held true. No one bothers me when I’m off. No one bothers me when I’m at work. When something is broken its fixed. If there’s weather and you need to delay, you delay. No one says anything.
They are growing.
Old 04-02-2019, 06:01 PM
New Hire

Joined APC: Oct 2018
Position: Row 1

Let's be realistic shall we? What do you want? What is a professional pilot in your eyes? Do you really think you should be a Captain with 1800 hours? Do you think you have the experience and temperament for that? Can you handle any issue at any time with upwards of 80 people relying on you? Do you know your aeroplane, systems, SOP's, Company GOM/AOM and FAA regulations like the back of your hand? Tell us all in one sentence what makes you different from all the people that have done their time? Maybe you are..maybe you are the next Sully I don't know...:
These are realistic important questions.
If you leave the airlines for a part 135 outfit that feels the need to tell everyone how safe and great they are at every opportunity...then you won't be coming back to the airlines any time soon. (the words 'recruiting' and 'bonus' spring to mind along with the same old names). The really good companies have no need to stand on the street corner with a bell, a balloon and a billboard.
What will you say when you realize your mistake and they ask why you left a good career path for a puddle jumper I was bored? I couldn't cut it at a real job? I was impatient? The airline didn't recognise my extraordinary worth? I felt I should be Captain by now? I wanted more money? I want four stripes! I believed the social media bull****? I deserved the left seat in a jet at 1800 hours? Not really desirable qualities and persona for a Captain eh?.......
What they are paying is the last question you should be asking...(I have another post offering suggestions for you or anyone else about to fall of the log, with what to ask, look it up. I might make a thread of it).
Be smart, stay where you are. A poor 135 organisation can and will ruin your career as a professional pilot later on. If you are 121 trained you will have a heart attack when you see how they often operate and expect you to do so without complaining. However, GAMA/Wheels Up do have a good solid SMS, good mx, lots of flying and nice clean aircraft free of MEL's. You don't have the minimum time for NJ or XO.

So, in essence y'all need to suck it up where you are, show them you have true leadership skills and deserve recognition, do something extra at work to contribute or go to another growing airline: Spirit or Frontier or jetBlue. Why throw away your seniority number when you are more than halfway to the minimum 1000 hours part 121 for upgrade? and your place in the line?

I am not picking on you or anyone although it may seem like it but the grass on that side is usually brown. Be patient and be smart is all I am saying. Make wise considered choices, you are on the ladder, stay on the ladder it is the rest of your life!
Old 04-02-2019, 06:45 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2008
Position: Standing in front of the tank with a shopping bag
Lightbulb Many operators with home based 8/6 and 15/13.

In addition to flyExclusive and Gama, I believe that XOJET, Red Wing, Travel Management, FlexJet, and of course, Netjets are home based as well, with 8/6 and 15/13 schedules.

Netjets is in its own league with 7/7 and 14/14 schedules, I believe.

Also, there are many air ambulance companies that also offer a 7/7 schedule with 12 hour shifts, where you can be home every night.
Old 04-02-2019, 06:48 PM
New Hire

Joined APC: Mar 2019

Originally Posted by cannotdupilcate View Post
Let's be realistic shall we? What do you want? What is a professional pilot in your eyes? Do you really think you should be a Captain with 1800 hours? Do you think you have the experience and temperament for that? Can you handle any issue at any time with upwards of 80 people relying on you? Do you know your aeroplane, systems, SOP's, Company GOM/AOM and FAA regulations like the back of your hand? Tell us all in one sentence what makes you different from all the people that have done their time? Maybe you are..maybe you are the next Sully I don't know...:
These are realistic important questions.
If you leave the airlines for a part 135 outfit that feels the need to tell everyone how safe and great they are at every opportunity...then you won't be coming back to the airlines any time soon. (the words 'recruiting' and 'bonus' spring to mind along with the same old names). The really good companies have no need to stand on the street corner with a bell, a balloon and a billboard.
What will you say when you realize your mistake and they ask why you left a good career path for a puddle jumper I was bored? I couldn't cut it at a real job? I was impatient? The airline didn't recognise my extraordinary worth? I felt I should be Captain by now? I wanted more money? I want four stripes! I believed the social media bull****? I deserved the left seat in a jet at 1800 hours? Not really desirable qualities and persona for a Captain eh?.......
What they are paying is the last question you should be asking...(I have another post offering suggestions for you or anyone else about to fall of the log, with what to ask, look it up. I might make a thread of it).
Be smart, stay where you are. A poor 135 organisation can and will ruin your career as a professional pilot later on. If you are 121 trained you will have a heart attack when you see how they often operate and expect you to do so without complaining. However, GAMA/Wheels Up do have a good solid SMS, good mx, lots of flying and nice clean aircraft free of MEL's. You don't have the minimum time for NJ or XO.

So, in essence y'all need to suck it up where you are, show them you have true leadership skills and deserve recognition, do something extra at work to contribute or go to another growing airline: Spirit or Frontier or jetBlue. Why throw away your seniority number when you are more than halfway to the minimum 1000 hours part 121 for upgrade? and your place in the line?

I am not picking on you or anyone although it may seem like it but the grass on that side is usually brown. Be patient and be smart is all I am saying. Make wise considered choices, you are on the ladder, stay on the ladder it is the rest of your life!
I am confused. Was the OP complaining about something?
Old 04-02-2019, 08:31 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Thumbs up Flying Part 135 isn't the end of the world...

Hey Duplicate,

You have made some very insightful and informative posts on here, and they are so good that they deserve their own thread, like "121 vs. 135 advice", or something like that. Just my opinion, but they are good enough to not be hidden in these home based threads.

As far as going to 121 and staying there..... Absolutely! If you are 50 or younger, lucky you! You are in one of the greatest times in history to be a pilot, much unlike my "lost generation" of pilots that came out in 1990's to the Eastern/Pan Am shutdowns followed by the flooding of the market by thousands of furloughed mainline and regional airline pilots.

However, many of us have been there and done that, and for whatever reason have chosen not to return to Part 121. Like many from my era of flying, I have endured 5 furloughs in a 25+ year career.. And for me personally, it is my age and life situation that made me choose to return to Part 135 flying vs. Part 121. I am in my mid-50's and still have 10 good years to do yet another career restart, but I don't want to be the oldest guy in a walker in a LGA or CLT crashpad, or the sort in SDF, MEM, IND, or CVG... In addition, after the Depression of 2008, (It's a recession if your neighbor gets laid off, but a depression if you do), my Wife's career went vertical. With her pay trajectory, there is no way I will surpass her pay trajectory at any Legacy or Tier 1 Cargo carrier. The only way that I could surpass her flying an airplane, is if I went to the sandbox and did ISR flying and never came home, picking every overtime assignment that I could. But with a young son at home, the best thing for our family is to for me work someplace that is very flexible about where you can live and that has a decent schedule. We did a family spreadsheet and we chose flyExclusive. I also left out the fact that I was out of flying for 2.5 years with Cancer, so I needed a place that I could start out of one place and finish in another so I could do my 6 month FAA Cancer screenings. flyExclusive has been amazingly accommodating with that and other things like getting us home before a hurricane hits, or flying me out to where my Wife was when I slipped on the icy TVC ramp and got a concussion. Every carrier has its pluses and minruses, but the above flexibility and empathy are flyExclusive's strong points. In fact, we actually hired pilot from a competitor that actually denied flying him someplace different from his base during a family emergency: They actually told him that they needed a 48 hour notice and a letter from the VP of Flight Ops to be flown to XXX instead of YYY.

Also, many of us came from a Part 135 background prior to our 121 careers, and many of us are better pilots because of it. When I was flying Part 121, if you had handed us an approach to ASE or HCR, the RUUDY 6 Departure out of TEB, etc. we would have been stumped. And I hadn't filed my own flight plan in over 10 years... www.flightplan.what?, I said...

I am so much better of an airman having flown 91K and Part 135 flying... it's like I got to test my skills again much more than when I was flying my beloved TYS-DFW-SEA-GEG runs for months at a time. With 91K and Part 135 flying, I was so much more challenged every day in a great way that I was never challenged in 121 flying. Having to do my own performance, flight planning, W&B, orchestrating every detail of the flight, was a great and enjoyable challenge. You had to be flexible, and your plans may change multiple times per day, but we make it happen and we do it safely and professionally. Give me a pilot flying single pilot, IFR from Ameriflight, Central Air, Cape Air, Key Lime etc. over a Regional pilot from a pilot training mill who came from a CFI to an RJ... No offense to those folks, but I promise you that the 135 folks got a much more diverse experience coming up and that's not just because that is my background..

So, yes, I would agree with you that getting on at a young age to a Regional with Flow would have been a dream come true 20 years ago for many of us, and I would certainly would have taken it rather through crawling through the broken glass of 1990's Part 135 Automotive, FDX, and UPS carriers. But I am a much better pilot than I would have been if I had never had the opportunity to fly Part 135 or Part 91K, and I don't regret that.

As far as flyExclusive goes, we currently have retired AA and SWA pilots working here, as well as fighter pilots, Netjets pilots who left to start a family business, and we have applicants from AA, SWA, DL, UA, UPS, Academy Grads, Mig and Sukhoi pilots, etc., who are looking to continue their careers at a place that has a decent schedule that allows them to live where they want to. I promise you, Part 135 doesn't have to be the place where careers come to die.. That place used to be MIA or YIP...

Last edited by B727DRVR; 04-02-2019 at 08:51 PM.
Old 04-02-2019, 08:48 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2007

Originally Posted by arrrrree View Post
Anyone have an advice on the best home based options?
Don’t mean to hijack your topic but out of curiosity I’d like to dive deeper into your question. How about home base or commutable options that don’t fly or very rarely fly along the east coast/Florida? Particularly places out west that stay west of the Mississippi 99% of the time. Non airline
Old 04-03-2019, 04:46 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Question JetSuite?

I think JetSuite might have a home based floater option, that flies West Coast. Any Red Stripers want to chime in on that one?