Hawaii 135 operators

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2019, 02:08 PM
Banned

Joined APC: Oct 2008
Position: Window Seat

Originally Posted by Hawaii808 View Post
Avoid Transcare
HAL hires a bunch of mokulele guys after they go to the mainland and fly at Skywest for a few years.
Have you checked out corporate air?
The two medivac companies also hire FOs. HLF uses them for the neonatal flights and Lifesave is a two crew operation.
Transair is not as horrible as everyone makes it out to be as long as you treat it for what it is - stepping stone to quick transport time. Many worse companies on the mainland to work for. Treat it the same way you treat that entire pile of rocks - get in, get what you need, and get out.
Old 06-05-2019, 01:30 AM
All is fine at .79

Joined APC: Sep 2016
Position: Paahlot

Originally Posted by PT6 Flyer View Post
There is also Makani Kai Air. They fly Caravans single-pilot.

https://www.jsfirm.com/Pilot-Fixed+W...medium=organic

The starting pay sounds good for a Caravan. But the job posting is very sarcastic, which would scare me away.
That job posting is golden!
You’ve got to admit he’s spot on.
Old 06-05-2019, 09:09 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2005

Makani Kai has long days, may fly 12-14 legs.
Most Trans Air pilots don.r have good things to say about it.
One of the Kamaka owners is a Hawaiian pilot, good guy.
Don't know much about Mokulele. They are annoying because there are so many and we often get slowed and vectored to maintain separation.
Old 06-05-2019, 02:49 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Rama View Post
Most Trans Air pilots don.r have good things to say about it.
One of the Kamaka owners is a Hawaiian pilot, good guy.
I don't think anyone will say good things about Transair as a career destination, but it'll get you hours quickly on a transport in a 121 operation. If that's what you need and you're already in Hawaii it's not a bad move.

Does Kamaka still make their "FOs" fly for free?
Old 06-05-2019, 08:05 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2017

Originally Posted by PT6 Flyer View Post
There is also Makani Kai Air. They fly Caravans single-pilot.

https://www.jsfirm.com/Pilot-Fixed+W...medium=organic

The starting pay sounds good for a Caravan. But the job posting is very sarcastic, which would scare me away.
Love it. Sounds like an owner that's been through all the hiring bullcrap sorting through apps where pilots don't follow the instructions applying to be hired due to not having the experience he wants. Just trying to weed out those that don't qualify.
Old 06-06-2019, 02:06 AM
Line Holder

Position: Small and slow

[QUOTE=aviatorhi;2832384]I don't think anyone will say good things about Transair as a career destination, but it'll get you hours quickly on a transport in a 121 operation. If that's what you need and you're already in Hawaii it's not a bad move.

You won’t get hours “quickly” at transair. Please don’t encourage anyone to go there.
Old 06-06-2019, 03:05 AM
New Hire

Joined APC: Jun 2019

Thanks for the input everyone, this is all really good info!

It's a shame about trans air - it'd be pretty cool to fly shorts (multi engine PIC time too) but they're saying I'd need to pay for ground school at flight safety int'l, to the tune of about $14k... GI bill covers it but that's a lot to spend on two weeks of training no matter whose money it is. I'm thinking one of the caravan ops will be the way to go. I still have a full time job to do, and they just seem a lot more willing to flex around that.
Old 06-06-2019, 03:10 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jun 2018

Depending on your qualifications, you could try to apply for the DEC for mokulele. You’ll need to apply through southern airways express though. I heard they will make you fly as an FO for a little then move you to captain at 1200.
Old 06-11-2019, 03:56 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Kimo View Post
You won’t get hours “quickly” at transair. Please don’t encourage anyone to go there.
Please don't try to tell me what I know or don't know. If someone lives in Hawaii already TXA is a perfectly acceptable stepping stone. APA is as well since they made some improvements (primarily in pay). I'm not sure how many hours the SD3s fly these days but it was easy to get 80+/month just a few years ago. I'd imagine the 737 would net you 40/month or so if they're flying it as much as they planned. The 757 at APA sees guys flying 70+ a month. Both these jobs beat flying a Scare-a-van over water 8 days a week.

Neither of these jobs are worth moving to Hawaii for, or paying a training fee for, though. Then again, nothing is worth moving to Hawaii for.
Old 06-13-2019, 01:56 PM
Line Holder

Position: Small and slow

Originally Posted by aviatorhi View Post
Please don't try to tell me what I know or don't know. If someone lives in Hawaii already TXA is a perfectly acceptable stepping stone. APA is as well since they made some improvements (primarily in pay). I'm not sure how many hours the SD3s fly these days but it was easy to get 80+/month just a few years ago. I'd imagine the 737 would net you 40/month or so if they're flying it as much as they planned. The 757 at APA sees guys flying 70+ a month. Both these jobs beat flying a Scare-a-van over water 8 days a week.

Neither of these jobs are worth moving to Hawaii for, or paying a training fee for, though. Then again, nothing is worth moving to Hawaii for.
Ah ha ha ha
People that know better aren’t going to trans air or Asia pacific. They have been known to fire/discipline people for ridiculous reasons as is well documented in these chats. Nothing has “improved” at Transair or Asia Pacific. Ohana and Aloha are your better options if trying to get to Hawaiian. People have left transair and Asia pacific to go fly for Aloha and Ohana. Aloha has some big classes coming up and I believe ohana will too.