Airline Pilot Central Forums

Airline Pilot Central Forums (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/)
-   Part 135 (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/part-135/)
-   -   135 Days off (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/part-135/122185-135-days-off.html)

MattFlys839 06-03-2019 08:15 AM

135 Days off

I currently fly for a part 135 small company. They want me to fly somewhere to overnight, have the next day as a scheduled off day, and then fly back the following day. Is this legal for them to have us as a scheduled off day away from home and stuck in a hotel?

twebb 06-03-2019 09:01 AM

Yes. As long as you're free from all duty and don't have to answer your phone.

TeamSasquatch 06-03-2019 09:19 AM

Free from duty for 24hrs is key to legal.
Stuck in a crappy hotel without a rental away from home doesn’t really matter to the FAA. That’s more of a QOL issue. Now, if you are not fit to fly after battling bed bugs off for 24hrs, the FAA cares.

Knobcrk1 06-03-2019 11:31 AM

Time for a new job!

RockyM 06-03-2019 11:35 AM

It is legal, however I'd be looking for another job, that says a lot about what it’s coming and how much the company cares about you and your QOL.

JohnBurke 06-03-2019 12:06 PM

Time to look for a job because you had a 24 hour rest period away from home?

Cry a river. Grow up.

There are PLENTY of jobs in aviation that have a 1-in-7 (24 hour rest period) away from home.

Fly ACMI? You'll be gone 17-40 days at a crack, and you'll have plenty of days off away from home. There are numerous jobs in aviation in which your 24 hours free of all duty to the company are not in your own bed.

If this troubles you, then you may have picked the wrong industry and line of work.

Av8tr1 06-03-2019 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by TeamSasquatch (Post 2830749)
Now, if you are not fit to fly after battling bed bugs off for 24hrs, the FAA cares.

No the don't. Nore do they care if you call in fatigued and the company docked your pay as a no show. Ask me how I know.

MattFlys839 06-03-2019 02:53 PM

Thanks everyone for the clarification. I wasn’t necessarily complaining as I was more so making sure I wasn’t being pushed into something that could be illegal. (Not unheard of for this company) It is definitely time to start looking for something better as this sort of thing is becoming more and more of the norm.

JohnBurke 06-03-2019 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by MattFlys839 (Post 2830966)
Thanks everyone for the clarification. I wasn’t necessarily complaining as I was more so making sure I wasn’t being pushed into something that could be illegal. (Not unheard of for this company) It is definitely time to start looking for something better as this sort of thing is becoming more and more of the norm.

It's quite likely you're being pushed; 135 operators are well known for it.

A perennial favorite is keeping a pilot on call around the clock. Not legal. The operator tries to tell the pilot that so long as the pilot doesn't get called, he's on his own time and isn't on duty (which is true, but he also isn't at rest, which is the important aspect that makes it illegal). Any obligation to the company for duty is not rest.

Another common tactic is to keep the pilot on a leash 24/7, and tell the pilot that if he didn't fly yesterday, that was his day off. This is absolutely not legal; rest can never be determined in hindsight.