Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Hawaii 135 operators

Old 06-01-2019, 02:02 PM
New Hire

Joined APC: Jun 2019
Default Hawaii 135 operators

Hi everyone, I'm wondering if anybody can shed some more light on QOL/reputation at some of the 135 organizations in Hawaii. Right now I'm looking at Transair, Kamaka and Mokulele to fly part time for a few years (I'm still active duty, but in a job with a really flexible schedule) then transition to full time once I separate. For reference, I'm a navy guy (super hornets) with 1150 hours.

I'm new to this community so I apologize if I'm not adhering to any forum bylaws - just let me know and I'll flog myself accordingly

So far what I've gotten from the rest of the forum is that kamaka is fly for free, and that generally doesn't bode well. It seems like it's a relatively short requirement, basically time to get comfortable before you start flying solo legs. Luckily I'm already getting a paycheck, so working as an unpaid loader for a month doesn't personally bother me, but I've read on here that working for a fly-for-free type of company can brand you in a bad way.

Transair seems to have a smattering of opinions around it, some of them sound pretty scathing. However I do think it'd be cool to fly the SD3-60, and it's probably better experience for later on as well.

Mokulele seems to be positive all around, but I did read something about how they don't have a great relationship with Hawaiian airlines, is there any truth to this?

Right now my main goal is pretty much just to log time and break up the monotony of my day job - any advice at all would be appreciated!

Last edited by usernameanxiety; 06-01-2019 at 02:31 PM.
Old 06-01-2019, 03:48 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2017

There is also Makani Kai Air. They fly Caravans single-pilot.

https://www.jsfirm.com/Pilot-Fixed+W...medium=organic

The starting pay sounds good for a Caravan. But the job posting is very sarcastic, which would scare me away.
Old 06-01-2019, 10:58 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2005
Position: B777/CA retired

Originally Posted by PT6 Flyer View Post

The starting pay sounds good for a Caravan. But the job posting is very sarcastic, which would scare me away.
Actually that job posting is awesome. Working for someone like that would be a treat.
Old 06-01-2019, 11:15 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2015

Kamaka is definitely not fly for free if you’re in the left seat. It’s actually decent money to fly a 208 around while getting a workout in.
Old 06-02-2019, 05:32 AM
Gets Weekends Off

For people who are unfamiliar with 135 ops in Hawaii, I thought I'd post a link to Swayne Martin's video on a typical day at work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U97l0RbQZFg&t=82s
Old 06-02-2019, 08:03 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2016
Position: Gulfstream Pilot

I interviewed with the owner a few years ago for the caravan job. He is a hoot and class act. They have a great operation. He treats his employees well. Only reason we didn’t take job was because it was in Hawaii. Go for it if your looking to build time in an interesting place.

Originally Posted by PT6 Flyer View Post

Old 06-02-2019, 10:01 AM
New Hire

Joined APC: Jun 2019

Thanks for the replies, the Makani job is pretty intriguing - unfortunately I'm annoyingly short, about 50 hours. His posting is pretty clear about his requirements, haha, I wonder if submitting a resume would do any more than generate some good jokes
Old 06-02-2019, 04:02 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Usernameanxiety,

How about just spending some money and knocking out that 50 hours in a reasonably short amount of time? If you take the job, I think you'll get your money back soon enough.
Old 06-03-2019, 07:21 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2015

I know the old man at Schuman. Good operation and no BS. From what I see he trusts his people and supports them. If I lived there I'd fly for them for sure. Since you're Mil it may be worth talking to him, even driving over to HQ. He won't BS you and is really a nice guy. He won't be worse than any COs you have.

As far as Mokulele, yes this is true. However it is because Hawaiian doesn't take kindly to anyone else running inter-island airline service, so it's not Mokulele that is the issue, it Hawaiian wanting to rule the kingdom themselves. And that goes for SWA too. Another rival encroaching on their turf is really getting under their skin.

Last edited by geosync; 06-03-2019 at 07:32 PM. Reason: Adding info
Old 06-04-2019, 02:02 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2017

Avoid Transcare
HAL hires a bunch of mokulele guys after they go to the mainland and fly at Skywest for a few years.
Have you checked out corporate air?
The two medivac companies also hire FOs. HLF uses them for the neonatal flights and Lifesave is a two crew operation.