Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

TMC/Wheels UP

Old 09-03-2019, 08:32 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2013

Originally Posted by LLWS09R View Post
Still better than most company’s pay out to there pilots for getting home late, including TMC.
No it isn't, NetJets for one pays a 300% override for getting in after midnight. It's a small consolation for what can turn into a 20+ hour day, getting home when everyone else in the house went to bed hours ago.

The schedule is 8 DAYS on, not 8 nights!

What's really frustrating is just missing the cut off by 10 or 15 minutes.
The "getting bent over on day 8," stipend should be in hourly increments in my opinion.

Last edited by Das Auto; 09-03-2019 at 08:52 AM.
Old 09-03-2019, 03:24 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2019

Originally Posted by Das Auto View Post
No it isn't, NetJets for one pays a 300% override for getting in after midnight. It's a small consolation for what can turn into a 20+ hour day, getting home when everyone else in the house went to bed hours ago.

The schedule is 8 DAYS on, not 8 nights!

What's really frustrating is just missing the cut off by 10 or 15 minutes.
The "getting bent over on day 8," stipend should be in hourly increments in my opinion.
I get what you are expressing and agree with your views. I just know we are not Netjets and while I wish GAMA would treat us a just as highly as their pilots are. We are not in the same category (Unionization) as them. Comparing similar companies. I guess to some pilots it’s a toss up of getting 150.00 for getting home after 10pm or 500.00 for midnight.
Old 09-03-2019, 08:26 PM
Gets Weekends Off

I get what you are expressing and agree with your views. I just know we are not Netjets and while I wish GAMA would treat us a just as highly as their pilots are. We are not in the same category (Unionization) as them. Comparing similar companies. I guess to some pilots it’s a toss up of getting 150.00 for getting home after 10pm or 500.00 for midnight.
Well that's the problem. People are comparing similar companies and realizing that they would be getting more vacation for time served, sick time bank / buybacks instead of the use it or lose it policy we have, generous compensation for getting home late on day 8 (or day 7, what a concept) automatic crew meals, seniority, additional compensation for working on national holidays etc.
That's why we're losing pilots right now.

Last edited by Das Auto; 09-03-2019 at 08:39 PM.
Old 09-04-2019, 11:43 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by Das Auto View Post
Well that's the problem. People are comparing similar companies and realizing that they would be getting more vacation for time served, sick time bank / buybacks instead of the use it or lose it policy we have, generous compensation for getting home late on day 8 (or day 7, what a concept) automatic crew meals, seniority, additional compensation for working on national holidays etc.
That's why we're losing pilots right now.
Sounds like people are voting with their feet. I don’t know if we will see those benefits you and I seek. Although last summer after enough pilots found greener pastures. Improvements came! Will lightning strike twice?
Old 09-04-2019, 06:20 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Sounds like people are voting with their feet. I don’t know if we will see those benefits you and I seek. Although last summer after enough pilots found greener pastures. Improvements came! Will lightning strike twice?
Let's hope so my friend.
Old 09-04-2019, 08:21 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2013

Wheels up/Gama has a long way to go with improving QOL for pilots. I spent a considerable amount of time at this place. Many things were enjoyable but too much of it was not In my opinion. It was becoming increasingly worse by the tour it seemed. Day 1/8 on & off tour travel is mostly a nightmare here. If you live on the west coast, good luck to you. Their unwillingness to do anything other than an 8/6(zero schedule flexibility), no added vacation based on longevity, and no holiday pay are just a few things that need to be addressed. Ops insists on keeping standby crews sitting at the airport all day long in crappy crew lounges, exhausting them when a perfectly suitable day room down the road is available to keep guys/gals fresh. It wears on people tour after tour and that seems to be the disconnect between management/Ops and the pilots. Voting with my feet is exactly what I did as you put it, and I haven't looked back for a second. Having said that there are some nice things about Gama. Health care is fantastic, I got every vacation I bid for, and days off are yours. Depending on need, you have options for OT as well sometimes at nice daily rates. Earlier on hotels were great but I saw a somewhat gradual decline, and just needless/careless arrangements for crew members. Anyone PM me if you would like and I can answer questions the best I can
Old 09-05-2019, 01:10 PM
Gets Weekends Off

I almost wonder with regards to the whole start of this thread. Does GAMA even care anymore? If They know in 2-3 years they won’t be flying WUP aircraft. Why would they care??
Old 09-05-2019, 06:34 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2014

You guys do realize the airlines are hiring, right?
Old 09-06-2019, 08:08 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by ThomasMagnum View Post
You guys do realize the airlines are hiring, right?
Yes... Who do you know at Delta Southwest United American that will pull my application and put it on the top? Trust me there is way more application than there are jobs. There is only a shortage in the regionals market. Short of a brand new FO with 1500 hrs I doubt any one would be foolish enough to leave and work for regionals. A pilot going from confirmed tickets from home to commuting for reserves and crash pads cost and life style. Any bonus would be negated by the cost of just getting to work. That’s why I am not completely saying GAMA a bad place. They do offer older pilots with family at least a happy medium.

A few exceptions to my statement maybe. If you live in base a lateral transfer would no be that hard for a pilot. Or depending on age and family status the flow threw agreement most regionals have may motivate a pilot to suffer 3-9 years. But keep in mind I’ve heard a lot of flow threws are only guaranteed interviews or there is many gotcha hidden rules for the guaranteed job so be careful!
Old 09-07-2019, 05:02 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2015
Position: Left

Yes... Who do you know at Delta Southwest United American that will pull my application and put it on the top? Trust me there is way more application than there are jobs. There is only a shortage in the regionals market. Short of a brand new FO with 1500 hrs I doubt any one would be foolish enough to leave and work for regionals. A pilot going from confirmed tickets from home to commuting for reserves and crash pads cost and life style. Any bonus would be negated by the cost of just getting to work. That’s why I am not completely saying GAMA a bad place. They do offer older pilots with family at least a happy medium.

A few exceptions to my statement maybe. If you live in base a lateral transfer would no be that hard for a pilot. Or depending on age and family status the flow threw agreement most regionals have may motivate a pilot to suffer 3-9 years. But keep in mind I’ve heard a lot of flow threws are only guaranteed interviews or there is many gotcha hidden rules for the guaranteed job so be careful!
Not sure about the legacies, but I’ve seen through various social media several WU/Gama folks jump over to JB, Spirit and Frontier lately. Most had primarily King Air time.