Search
Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Employer threats - What would you do?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2019, 03:17 PM
135 Survivor

Joined APC: May 2015
Default Employer threats - What would you do?

I had a surreal and upsetting encounter with a pilot manager at my company last week. I'd appreciate others' opinions on whether I should take any further action or just let it go and be grateful that I'm out of that toxic work environment. I gave my employer at least 21 days prior notice of resignation as required by the employee handbook. Note that this event happened during my second to last scheduled trip for the company. I've omitted the identifying information for now.

Ten minutes after departure from K*** in a PT-6 powered single, carrying 8 passengers, I decided to return to K*** for landing when the left fuel gauge started giving grossly erratic and erroneous indications. The right gauge was steady, but seemed lower than I expected. The total fuel quantity indicated seemed about right given that I flew and fuel the plane on two previous legs.

My company does not have mx services available at K***. There is an MEL which provides that: "one indicator may be inoperative provided the triple trim indicator is operative, the aileron trim is operative, and
if autopilot is used, it must be disconnected every 20 minutes to detect any possible fuel imbalance." The procedure states: "crew will ensure:
a) triple trim Indicator is operative by moving the associate trim tabs, and
b) if the autopilot is to be used, while in flight, disconnect the autopilot every 20 minutes. A fuel imbalance is detected by abnormal aileron pressure to maintain wings level."

In light of this MEL procedure, the company ordered me to continue the flight. I refused to do so because: a) this airplane was grounded two days earlier due to a fuel leak, and b) continuation of the trip involved night flight over mountainous terrain. I had no interest in conducting the "experiment" stated in the MEL under those conditions.

Here's where things get weird. This is a near-verbatim transcript of my phone conversation with one of the pilot managers. (I took meticulous notes during the conversation and another person heard everything.) The pilot manager's words are in regular text. Mine are in italic.

"I don’t know what your situation is entirely. I know this is your second to last shift. I don’t know what you have planned next. So I don’t know… I don’t know if the consequences are going to mean much to your personally. Like I said, I’m not trying to make this sound threatening. It’s just part of my job to make sure you understand the situation. So, since there’s not a good reason otherwise for the plane to be dispatched, that means it’s really just coming down to a refusal to fly. If you were sticking with the company that would be a write-up. If you’re going somewhere else that’s going to inquire about your employment here that could be a potential issue. Unfortunately, I just can’t find any way but to describe it as a refusal to fly."

"It’s a refusal to fly because I don’t feel that it’s safe. Don’t talk about how it may go on my record and subsequent employer’s may find out about it because now you’re getting into an area that is kind of above your domain as (pilot manager.) So, please don’t take this conversation in that direction."

"I’m not trying to be threatening at all. I just want to make sure…"

"Then why did you say that?"

"I’m just trying to make sure that you fully understand the situation. I don’t want us to end tonight and then you be surprised by something down the road."

"So you are threatening me. I was scheduled to fly today, tomorrow, and then I’m scheduled to fly (another airport) on Sunday and Monday. I plan to end my time at (Airline) with my safety and pilot’s license intact. I am not going to do anything that compromises my safety. I just don’t think this MEL issue is safe. I’m not going to do anything that I think is unsafe. We just need to leave it at that. If the company doesn’t want me to fly tomorrow… doesn’t want me to fly (other airport) on Sunday and Monday, fine. I just need to move on with my life. Don’t intimate what’s going to happen. That’s really the wrong way to take this conversation."

"I’m sorry it came across that way. Like I said, it’s just my job to make sure you’re not surprised. Do you have any further questions?"

"No. It’s ten o’clock. I’ve been on duty for twelve hours. I don’t think it’s safe. Nobody’s going to fault me for doing something that I think is unsafe. If it was daytime, I would do this. But, I’m not flying over the (specific mountainous area) at night with the MEL “experiment” you want me to do."

"OK. Just as long as you understand the situation."

I documented the event in an e-mail to the CEO, who replied only that he'd forward my concerns to the Director of Safety.

I gave my Notice of Resignation four weeks ago without having another job to go to because this company is a serious daily risk to my physical safety and my airman's certificate. I since have TWO job offers, and I'm concerned that my former employer will make trouble for me during the background screening process.

Should I stay quiet and hope they're not that stupid? Should I take some preemptive action? Should I report this to the FAA? I mostly want to forget about my entire time with this nightmare company and move on with my life.

By the way... the aircraft was grounded the next day when another pilot discovered fuel leaking from the same fitting that was supposedly repaired before my flight.
Old 09-18-2019, 03:52 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2018
Position: Line holder

AOPA has a great “pilot protection” program for members. For a small annual fee above the membership, one has access to medical and legal expertise on call for free. If it isn’t something they can handle quickly on staff, they’ll refer someone local to you. Helps when there is no union/pilot rep to intervene.

Make sure you’ve got the right (higher) level of coverage for commercial privileges.

A friend had a similar experience once he gave notice. Some of these podunk operators use these shortsighted, hamfisted techniques to keep their pilot groups in line. “Look what happened to “X” when he tried to leave. Operators like this give every business a bad name.

Talk to a professional before you do anything. Good luck.
Old 09-18-2019, 06:23 PM
In a land of unicorns

Joined APC: Apr 2014
Position: Whale FO

Not hard to identify this was Boutique and a PC12.

They won't mess with you.
Old 09-19-2019, 06:17 AM
"Yinzer an'at"

Joined APC: Jun 2012
Position: Sittin at the puter

If you have moved on then "move on". I don't think anything will come of this from their side, it invites further inquiry. Just move on with your life and career and chalk this one up to experience. Next time you may do something a little differently or not.

Take it as a learning experience.
Old 09-19-2019, 06:17 AM
ATC retired/121 hired

Joined APC: Dec 2012
Position: 121 FO / glider for fun

ASAP or NASA report?
Old 09-19-2019, 03:23 PM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Apr 2017

One thing I would not do: Post an extremely detailed narrative on an open forum that makes it very easy to identify not only who you work for, but also who you are.

Having said that, as stated above you can submit an ASAP regarding this incident. Reports to that program are reviewed by the company and the FAA to help identify where improvements can be made.

The company can not give any information to a potential future employer beyond PRIA reportable incidents (this isn't) and a statement on whether or not you are eligible for rehire which wouldn't be an issue in the above case either unless you have multiple letters in your employee file.

Good Luck.
Old 09-25-2019, 01:51 PM
New Hire

Joined APC: Apr 2017

Here is the thing about background checks. HR departments have a background check service that is going to run a report on you that states where you worked, when, your title, etc. Very high level, generic information and nothing more. Most, if not all, companies refuse to give references of former employees because of the legal liability. Unless someone at your new company knows someone at your old company, all the HR department is going to do is verify what you put on your application. It's an idle threat people like to use to scare you.

And, yes, despite your redacting, this sounds like Boutique.
Old 09-25-2019, 02:13 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2019

Sorry you had to make a stand on safety. I’m a line pilot and this sounds like a refusal to fly. Maybe I’m a jerk, but also good on you for standing your ground when you felt it was needed.
Old 09-25-2019, 03:46 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2015
Position: Right Seat

File an ASAP report.... Then I would think about the fact you're leaving soon and made your decision based on what you think was the right move for safety.

My mentor/friend told me one thing when I called a flight off for a "stupid" safety issue... No one will ever say you are too safe, they will definitely say if you are a daredevil cowboy though. He proceeded to tell me a similar story but with an oil temp gauge on a plane with new engines. The pilot wouldn't fly it and owner kept telling him to, well 3 months later the owner ended up in the side of a mountain.

You could have ended up with an off airport landing into a mountain. You are safe and on the ground, your pax are safe, I think you are fine.
Old 09-25-2019, 05:03 PM
All is fine at .79

Joined APC: Sep 2016
Position: Paahlot

Let me be a fly in the ointment here:

I think you walked yourself down this avenue and I don’t think your supervisor was threatening.

First of all knowing they have no MX at K*** why did you return there?
I don’t know the systems on your airplane but if you left with a known quantity then a malfunctioning fuel gauge is more of an inconvenience then an emergency.
What does your non-normal checklist say?
Does the fuel selector have a both position? Does it normally feed evenly?
Are you required to switch fuel tanks every 30 min? I’m assuming it’s both.
Unless you’re flying uncoordinated it will feed evenly bar some other event.
The airplane doesn’t know it’s day or night. Fill both tanks with a known amount or just top off to be sure and fly the plane.
You put the company in a pickle and got called out on it and got your feathers ruffled.
And...you should have called a friend and not posted it here.

*according to your own post history you were in the June 4th class.
Assuming after training and OE that you went online in July you’ve had 3 months of line experience.
That’s not a lot.
You’re also bailing on an employer after 3 months.
Friendly word of caution: don’t burn too many bridges, this is a small industry.
Chalk it up to inexperience and learn from it.

I’ve had this very same scenario in a light business jet.
Kept an eye on things and continued, delivered the customer at their intended destination. Called MX and dispatch and topped off and flew to a service center and plane was back on the road the next day.

You have more responsibilities as a pilot then just driving the plane.

Last edited by TiredSoul; 09-25-2019 at 05:21 PM.