Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Pay rollback question...

Old 10-08-2019, 09:02 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2008
Position: Standing in front of the tank with a shopping bag
Question Pay rollback question...

Hey all,

Are there any 135 operators that revert to Year 1 Captain pay when a Year 2 or more FO upgrades?

Thanks...
Old 10-08-2019, 10:24 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2018

Gama does on the WUP fleet.
Old 10-08-2019, 11:15 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2013

Originally Posted by hdgbug View Post
Gama does on the WUP fleet.
Qualifier: It’s not a step back though. And once you make captain, you don’t go back to FO pay under normal circumstances.
Old 10-09-2019, 06:10 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2019

Originally Posted by B727DRVR View Post
Hey all,

Are there any 135 operators that revert to Year 1 Captain pay when a Year 2 or more FO upgrades?

Thanks...
I’m more curious where the origin of this question came from. I absolutely think it is a great question to find out. I see from other post you most likely fly for Fly Exclusive. Do they operate this way on a normal basis or is management attempting to pull one over on all the pilots. However in my opinion only that is not the norm. It’s considered years in service not role change refresh service. Only way you lose years of service pay is if you quit or ask (forced) to downgrade. Then you revert to years of service FO pay for the down grade.
Old 10-09-2019, 06:49 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2011
Position: Any

I know AMF doesn't when you change fleet types. It all goes back to the day you started with the company.

Now, we do have a couple of runs that we offer pilots to bump UP on the scale because the runs are hard to fill. The only "roll back" I guess would be if you were on one of those and then bid off of it.
Old 10-09-2019, 09:06 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2008
Position: Standing in front of the tank with a shopping bag
Question Thanks everybody...

Thanks,

No, actually I was referring to the practice of getting hired as an FO and leaving 3rd year First Officer pay scale to upgrade, only to have to go back to 1st year Captains pay scale... Versus a years of service set up, where you go from 3rd year FO pay scale directly over to 3rd year Captains pay scale due to your years as an employee, not your years as a Captain or FO....

Just wondering....
Old 10-09-2019, 12:32 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2018

Originally Posted by EMAW View Post
Qualifier: It’s not a step back though. And once you make captain, you don’t go back to FO pay under normal circumstances.
It is a great, but weird, benefit that if you go from Captain on the King Air to a FO on the jet you don't go back to FO pay. I've never heard of this for a position where you do not hold co-captain responsibilities. I find it strange that a captain and FO of the same tenure on the jets can make the same money, yet when it comes down to it they have much different levels of risk and responsibilities.

However, how is it not a step back to effectively loose your time of service to go from the year 2+ FO pay scale to the year 1 pay scale? Yes, you are making more money, however they are saying you have the same value to the company as a street hire captain. If we weren't hiring street captains I would say who cares, however we are devaluing the operational experience that an tenured FO brings to the Captain position.
Old 10-09-2019, 06:24 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2015

Tradewind Aviation does, but there is no formal FO pay scale because the assumption is FOs will all upgrade within a year of hire.