Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Guardian Flight

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2021, 11:46 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2007

Originally Posted by North48 View Post
Dumb question: What are the average days like? Are you sitting at home on call? In the office for 8 hrs and then home on call or all at the office?
I’ve never flown out of ANC for Guardian. I believe pilots have to be with in 20 minutes of the airport.
Old 10-24-2021, 03:38 AM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Sep 2019

Guardian Flight AK recently announced company wide change to 15/15 schedule. Schedule to take effect no later than spring of 2022. Slight reduction in overall pay in order to accommodate the reduced schedule. Duty days are spent "on call" from home (or anywhere you choose) but Pilots must be able to respond to the hangar max 20 minutes. Most will agree that's pushing it. 5-15 minutes would be much less stressful for you. Anchorage has a very nice facility at the Anchorage airport if you live outside the 20 minute response time. 12 hour shifts extendable to 14 hours. Longer days if crews part 91 return home. You'll fly 8-10 flights a month as a year round average. More in the summer. Less in the winter. Lots of positive changes in the last 8 years.
Old 01-19-2022, 08:14 AM
flying rubber dog ****

Joined APC: Apr 2013
Position: 737 CA
Default Staffing levels, life as a floater

Any recent insight on overall staffing levels and how that relates to the intended schedule of first week days, second week nights followed by two weeks off?

Also, how often do floaters move between bases on a 2 week rotation? The float position pays more, so is that because it is a more demanding schedule?
Old 01-21-2022, 09:11 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2015

Originally Posted by North48 View Post
Dumb question: What are the average days like? Are you sitting at home on call? In the office for 8 hrs and then home on call or all at the office?
I'm an exiled(i mean following my wife who works in the hospital) fixed wing guy and A&P in Tuba City, AZ. I live next to the Guardian guys here. Seems like they work 7 on, 7 off. When on, they live here in a couple shared townhouses next to the hospital. Tempo can range, sometimes they're flying all day, sometimes not so much. They go all over- Vegas, Phoenix, NM, even Texas since hospitals are all full from the VID. I think they just chill at the crib until the get a transfer. We're literally 100 yards from the pad so they just walk over and fire her up.

When off, many live in Flagstaff, AZ about an hour and a half away. Again, just my outsiders observation through chatting with them.
Old 02-15-2022, 05:23 AM
New Hire

Joined APC: Jan 2019

I've been with guardian for 3 years now. They've been great to me. I work in AK though, and the lower 48 operation may not be the same. I think we tend to get a bit less turnover in AK, so people for longer term bonds etc with coworkers. Management in Alaska is outstanding, they've done a great job keeping pilots around, as well as any mid tier operation can right now. There's always extra work available for pilots, but they won't resort to twisting your arm into working more if you don't want to. Kingair PICs in rural AK are making over $100k, and with extra work can easily crack $110-120.

I can't speak a lot about the lower 48 operation, I have the impression they tend to get more people there who don't fit in other places. This industry is very much a pilot's industry, so a lot of the people who end up at Guardian are either people who like the lifestyle, or people who can't get on at other places. It can be very hit or miss at each base. I do know that bases like Gallup and Chinle pay more because they can't keep people there. Both of those bases fly a lot, and tend to wear pilots out. Take that for what it's worth, if you want experience and hours, the pay they give is worth it. Some of those bases were offering a $30k retention after 24 months of service there. Overall though, my experience at Guardian has been pretty positive, and I wouldn't badmouth them at all.
Old 11-19-2022, 03:32 AM
New Hire

Joined APC: Nov 2022
Default Guardian Commute?

Originally Posted by 45guy View Post
I work for Guardian Flight. I should be able to answer some questions you may have
Do you know if they have a commute policy? Colorado to Upper MI?
Old 12-08-2022, 12:18 PM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Sep 2019

Originally Posted by tbergie76 View Post
Do you know if they have a commute policy? Colorado to Upper MI?

You can commute. On your own time and dime
Old 12-10-2022, 02:39 PM
New Hire

Joined APC: Apr 2018
Default Phone Screen / CP interview

Would anyone share details on what to expect for the CP interview? I have a phone screen next week followed by Microsoft teams interview with the chief. Applied for positions in springerville & show low. Thank you for your help!
Old 12-12-2022, 12:50 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Sep 2021

Originally Posted by ckern711 View Post
Would anyone share details on what to expect for the CP interview? I have a phone screen next week followed by Microsoft teams interview with the chief. Applied for positions in springerville & show low. Thank you for your help!
I’m curious about the interview process as well. It seems like a pretty long process.
Old 08-04-2023, 10:24 AM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Dec 2015
Position: Retired 121; active Part 135

Just saw a 2 weeks on 3 weeks off PC-12 gig posted by Guardian for about 112K. Am I naive or ignorant, or does this seem like a decent job? Maybe some current Guardians could chime in. Thanks