Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Wheels Up Operators (Gama, DPJ, TMC)

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2020, 09:56 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Feb 2018

Originally Posted by MikeBates View Post
Wow. I have never felt more grateful to be a part of a company than I do right now. I missed the first and probably best part of the conference call, but what I did hear was so comforting and, frankly, inspiring. While the world burns, wheels up is surging ahead. We are bringing in new members, renewing old ones, and doing more business than before. Our balance sheet could sustain us for several months if that changes. We have an outstanding leadership team around Kenny. You may think I am drinking the koolaid or something. I have worked for shady operators before- wheels up ain’t one of them. Wheels up is a whole different breed of animal over here.

Ive always theorized that WUP is recession proof. Now here is the proof. If anyone has dirt to throw on our brand, they’ll have to go through me from now on. If you’re a pilot for WUP like me, let’s bunker down, dig in, pack a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, dust off our old best western membership cards, and tough it out where necessary to keep our company thriving. We’ve got this. I’ve got your back. Let’s kick some covid-19 a**.
Certainly some much needed good news amongst so much bad news. I am also impressed with their desire to drive forward while others are cancelling classes and hiring. Of course, this is a different kind of flying than the airlines who are suffering. The training department is looking at all available options to keep classes rolling, even remotely, if able.
Old 03-20-2020, 10:17 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by MikeBates View Post
Wow. I have never felt more grateful to be a part of a company than I do right now. I missed the first and probably best part of the conference call, but what I did hear was so comforting and, frankly, inspiring. While the world burns, wheels up is surging ahead. We are bringing in new members, renewing old ones, and doing more business than before. Our balance sheet could sustain us for several months if that changes. We have an outstanding leadership team around Kenny. You may think I am drinking the koolaid or something. I have worked for shady operators before- wheels up ain’t one of them. Wheels up is a whole different breed of animal over here.

Ive always theorized that WUP is recession proof. Now here is the proof. If anyone has dirt to throw on our brand, they’ll have to go through me from now on. If you’re a pilot for WUP like me, let’s bunker down, dig in, pack a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, dust off our old best western membership cards, and tough it out where necessary to keep our company thriving. We’ve got this. I’ve got your back. Let’s kick some covid-19 a**.
I've always known that WUP would do well during a recession. They have a great corner of the market carved out. I strongly believe that as long as the NAS is not shut down, and hotels and eateries remain open enough to support us on the road, WUP will come through this well. I'm glad to see continued and improved communication from Gama. I would still like to see them address airlining and public transit use. My biggest concern for picking something up on the road is either in an Uber or on the airline. Our competitors are making moves, some drastic, to keep their crews healthy by using more rentals and changing how people are getting to their airplanes.

I'm all in on keeping this operation going and doing my part. I'd just like them to be all in on taking the every step possible to keep the crews safe so we can continue to do our part.
Old 03-20-2020, 11:21 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2013

Originally Posted by hdgbug View Post
I've always known that WUP would do well during a recession. They have a great corner of the market carved out. I strongly believe that as long as the NAS is not shut down, and hotels and eateries remain open enough to support us on the road, WUP will come through this well. I'm glad to see continued and improved communication from Gama. I would still like to see them address airlining and public transit use. My biggest concern for picking something up on the road is either in an Uber or on the airline. Our competitors are making moves, some drastic, to keep their crews healthy by using more rentals and changing how people are getting to their airplanes.

I'm all in on keeping this operation going and doing my part. I'd just like them to be all in on taking the every step possible to keep the crews safe so we can continue to do our part.
To be fair alot of this comes down to personal responsibility. I just filled up my truck with gas. Entered my zip on the keyboard and pulled out the same pump handle that literally hundreds of other people have touched that day. Many coughing into their hand immediately prior.
I decided to go inside and wash my hands before getting back in my ride. While I was in there some dude walked out of the stall, skipped the sink and walked out to his vehicle, probably to go and pump his own gas. Unreal. We all need to be smart and change our own personal behavior. If some guy is coughing up a lung in his uber I'll ask from him to pull over and I'll order another ride. We all need to play our part.
Old 03-20-2020, 12:25 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2016

It may have nice to have more that a 6 minute warning that the call was happening.
Old 03-20-2020, 01:09 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2006
Smile

Originally Posted by Das Auto View Post
To be fair alot of this comes down to personal responsibility. I just filled up my truck with gas. Entered my zip on the keyboard and pulled out the same pump handle that literally hundreds of other people have touched that day. Many coughing into their hand immediately prior.
I decided to go inside and wash my hands before getting back in my ride. While I was in there some dude walked out of the stall, skipped the sink and walked out to his vehicle, probably to go and pump his own gas. Unreal. We all need to be smart and change our own personal behavior. If some guy is coughing up a lung in his uber I'll ask from him to pull over and I'll order another ride. We all need to play our part.

move to jersey
Old 03-20-2020, 02:11 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2016

Originally Posted by Three Green View Post
move to jersey

I am thinking the company should provide me with hydroxychloroquine and Azithromycin so I can self medicate if I start feeling icky.
Old 03-20-2020, 03:37 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2013

Originally Posted by Three Green View Post
move to jersey
Ha ha.

So that's why their covid rates are lower than New York!
Old 03-20-2020, 04:01 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2016

Originally Posted by hdgbug View Post

I urge you and everyone else to please address your concerns in a well written email to your pilot supervisor. If they don’t hear our concerns, they will be oblivious. I am extremely frustrated with their lack of communication with cleaning the planes and continuing airline travel as I’m sure many others are as well. It’s kind of like writing your congressman but more likely to have some action.
Old 03-20-2020, 04:16 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jun 2016

Originally Posted by Busdriver91 View Post
I urge you and everyone else to please address your concerns in a well written email to your pilot supervisor. If they don’t hear our concerns, they will be oblivious. I am extremely frustrated with their lack of communication with cleaning the planes and continuing airline travel as I’m sure many others are as well. It’s kind of like writing your congressman but more likely to have some action.
I second this. For one, it is getting increasingly more difficult to get food while on the road. Also, I’m on the east coast and have run into a few west coast based pilots who are very concerned about the ability to get home if they end up out here on day 8. I understand this is a business and the priority is moving pax, but how about some real, specific and reassuring info on this topic to the pilots instead of the generic canned answer of, “it’s being looked at.” Being “looked at” wont guarantee me getting home to my family in a time where my stressed out wife who is at home with kids at home because their school is closed could use some help.
Old 03-20-2020, 04:21 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by StainRJDriver View Post
I second this. For one, it is getting increasingly more difficult to get food while on the road. Also, I’m on the east coast and have run into a few west coast based pilots who are very concerned about the ability to get home if they end up out here on day 8. I understand this is a business and the priority is moving pax, but how about some real, specific and reassuring info on this topic to the pilots instead of the generic canned answer of, “it’s being looked at.” Being “looked at” wont guarantee me getting home to my family in a time where my stressed out wife who is at home with kids at home because their school is closed could use some help.
I'll third this one for good measure. My supervisor is well aware of my concerns.

I'm not on the road right now, can anyone confirm that it is in fact Puracyn that they are stocking for a cleaner? When I look it up it seems to be a wound care product, and I don't see it on the lists of products shown to kill the virus.