Search
Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Wheels Up Operators (Gama, DPJ, TMC)

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2021, 07:59 PM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Jan 2020

Anybody have experience with applying to gama aviation? Not a lot of info through their application. Basically just submitting a resume. Any idea if they do any type of conversion for time regarding military sorties? A .3 or .2 per sortie? Just wondering how to present time for them. Seems like every company does something different these days.
Old 01-15-2021, 07:38 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2008
Position: Standing in front of the tank with a shopping bag
Default I would go with the .2 conversion factor...

Originally Posted by BuckeyeFlier View Post
Anybody have experience with applying to gama aviation? Not a lot of info through their application. Basically just submitting a resume. Any idea if they do any type of conversion for time regarding military sorties? A .3 or .2 per sortie? Just wondering how to present time for them. Seems like every company does something different these days.
Hey,

I'm not a Gama pilot, but have countless friends over there. As a military pilot, you have the disadvantage of logging time only the time that you took off to when you land, versus civilian aviators using block to block per the FAR's. I would absolutely use the military sortie conversion factor to help you get closer to your Argus-Wyvern minimums so you can upgrade faster.

Gama's recruiter is a great guy and a former Army Aviator..; Maybe you could reach out to him for a better answer.
Old 01-16-2021, 05:11 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Oct 2018

I’m not sure if I’d call our recruiters “great guys”, but if you reach they should be able to get back to you eventually
Old 01-16-2021, 09:10 AM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Jan 2020
Default questions

Any current Gama/Wheels Up Pilots able to shoot me a PM, got a couple questions regarding the interview process. Thanks.
Old 01-16-2021, 12:36 PM
New Hire

Joined APC: Feb 2018
Default $$$

Anyone shed some light on the pay-scale at WU, for all fleets and positions.
Old 01-16-2021, 01:04 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Oct 2018

Originally Posted by 900XP View Post
Anyone shed some light on the pay-scale at WU, for all fleets and positions.

Starts at 55K for FOS, 5K additional yearly. CAs start at either 90 for the king air or any light jet, or 94K for the challenger, with 4K additional yearly. We just got an email last week tho that “compensation” packages would be coming out within the next few months. Idk if that means pay scale raises (this was rumored to be happening back in Feb 2020 and very close to being completed) or possibly stock grants/options

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-18-2021, 08:44 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jan 2021
Default What's it like?

Hey y'all. I'm considering making a switch to charter flying. Currently a furloughed RJ driver awaiting recall training. I have a turbo-prop back ground flying large turbo-props, never flew a KA before though. I currently live in a hub in PHL and drive to work, but there's a lot of uncertainty at my current carrier. And I don't really like where I live. My airline is very overstaffed and I'm on the verge of making the cut or not making the cut. Somehow we did just announce that we're hiring again which doesn't make any sense. So this is a gamble for me. Sadly I don't really know a lot of folks at WU and I apologize if these questions have been answered before. I just want to get a more up to date info on the company.

I'm a young guy, that's looking to start a family next few years and home basing is becoming important to me. Ideally I'd want to move closer to family in BOS or in DEN.

Recently interviewed for a KA FO position.

How is life in the King Air?
How many legs a day do you do?
How much rest do you usually get on the road?
Is there a day off in the middle of your 8 day stretch to account for 135 24 in 7?
Is the DH time counted in your duty time?
Is it easy to get vacation time?
Is the company overall good to you?
Is open time available or is it limited to a few bases?

I didn't quite understand the pay system either. If you're a 2 yr KA FO and upgrade do you go to year 2 KA CA pay or do you go to year 1 CA pay? And if you're a year 5 KA CA and go to the citation X FO do you restart at year 1 FO/CA pay?

Thanks y'all.
Old 01-18-2021, 10:33 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2013

Originally Posted by FlannelDaddy View Post
Hey y'all. I'm considering making a switch to charter flying. Currently a furloughed RJ driver awaiting recall training. I have a turbo-prop back ground flying large turbo-props, never flew a KA before though. I currently live in a hub in PHL and drive to work, but there's a lot of uncertainty at my current carrier. And I don't really like where I live. My airline is very overstaffed and I'm on the verge of making the cut or not making the cut. Somehow we did just announce that we're hiring again which doesn't make any sense. So this is a gamble for me. Sadly I don't really know a lot of folks at WU and I apologize if these questions have been answered before. I just want to get a more up to date info on the company.

I'm a young guy, that's looking to start a family next few years and home basing is becoming important to me. Ideally I'd want to move closer to family in BOS or in DEN.

Recently interviewed for a KA FO position.

How is life in the King Air?
How many legs a day do you do?
How much rest do you usually get on the road?
Is there a day off in the middle of your 8 day stretch to account for 135 24 in 7?
Is the DH time counted in your duty time?
Is it easy to get vacation time?
Is the company overall good to you?
Is open time available or is it limited to a few bases?

I didn't quite understand the pay system either. If you're a 2 yr KA FO and upgrade do you go to year 2 KA CA pay or do you go to year 1 CA pay? And if you're a year 5 KA CA and go to the citation X FO do you restart at year 1 FO/CA pay?

Thanks y'all.
Life here as a whole is good and they treat us well.
KingAir legs vary between 0 and 4, the odd 5 or 6 leg day isn’t the norm, but not unheard of. Especially if you’re in the northeast.
We get legal rest on the road usually 11 or 12 per look back. However a ton of duty time is spent sitting around in the hotel at the end of the day waiting for the next days schedule to be assigned.
We are not a scheduled 135, so the 24 in 7 doesn’t apply. 135.267, not 135.269 We get way more than the required 13 days off per quarter.
DH to an aircraft is always part of duty. DH home isn’t since you aren’t going to have to look back for legality.
vacations are bid for at the end of the year for the following year. Just depends which tour you want off as to how easy it is. With the consolidation under Wheels Up PTO policy is shifting, but for the better for us.
We don’t have “open time”. You can volunteer for OT and sometimes get it at your daily rate. All based on whether they need an aircraft crewed and where it is.

you never lose pay, unless you step down from a standards captain position. FO TO CA on the same aircraft, keep your longevity. CA to FO on another aircraft your pay doesn’t change but you get COLA raises until the pay scale catches your years or you upgrade.
Another thing. Generally once we’re assigned an aircraft we stay with it for the full 8 days, unless there’s mx to be done and they need someone on another aircraft.
Old 01-18-2021, 10:49 AM
New Hire

Joined APC: Jan 2021
Red face Mountain Aviation Acquisition

Wheels Up just acquired Mountain Aviation, (https://www.forbes.com/sites/douggol...h=7ad9729f55d5).

Should we be grateful to our new corporate overlords? Fearful of the grinder they have in store for us? Excited for the new livery on the jets?

WU folks, what should we expect?
Old 01-18-2021, 11:35 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2013

Originally Posted by BentTurbine View Post
Wheels Up just acquired Mountain Aviation, (https://www.forbes.com/sites/douggol...h=7ad9729f55d5).

Should we be grateful to our new corporate overlords? Fearful of the grinder they have in store for us? Excited for the new livery on the jets?

WU folks, what should we expect?
Expect a good operation and to be treated fairly. All the other details will come out in the wash.