Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Wheels Up Operators (Gama, DPJ, TMC)

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2021, 06:53 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2014

Originally Posted by David Puddy View Post
Sounds like people on the DPJ side are getting squeezed with the XL and X fleets getting cut back. People in the XL fleet being bumped to the Beechjunk and not happy about it...
After the purchase by WU DPJ lost over half of their CJ fleet (lessors jumped ship). CJ people were the first to be displaced to the BE-400, and it was done out of seniority with some people on the XL able to maintain that equipment. From my understanding there is some displacement now off the XL, but I cannot confirm this. At one level there is crosstalk on the fleets - DPJ and WU both have XL's and X's, Mountain Aviation has X's, as does WU. How all that will integrate is the question of the ages.

FO's that were displaced to the BE-400 would get a PIC type, but the ride and training was all conducted in the right seat, nothing that I have ever heard of before, but it certainly could be construed as putting you in your place!

All this, and WU is hiring FO's on the KA.
Old 05-10-2021, 08:39 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2013

Originally Posted by Diesel8 View Post
After the purchase by WU DPJ lost over half of their CJ fleet (lessors jumped ship). CJ people were the first to be displaced to the BE-400, and it was done out of seniority with some people on the XL able to maintain that equipment. From my understanding there is some displacement now off the XL, but I cannot confirm this. At one level there is crosstalk on the fleets - DPJ and WU both have XL's and X's, Mountain Aviation has X's, as does WU. How all that will integrate is the question of the ages.

FO's that were displaced to the BE-400 would get a PIC type, but the ride and training was all conducted in the right seat, nothing that I have ever heard of before, but it certainly could be construed as putting you in your place!

All this, and WU is hiring FO's on the KA.
TMC, the 400 fleet, is being integrated into the DPJ certificate.
The plan right now is for GAMA, DPJ, and Mountain to retain their separate certificates.
Old 05-10-2021, 08:57 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2014

They have already done that. There are some certificates that have been merged. And they already have a global seniority list, which they don't using normal aviation SOP's really adhere to. Wheels Up Private Jets is DPJ & TMC. The others have different names. That has been a fate accompli for some time now, so that is not a news flash.
Old 05-10-2021, 10:45 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2013

Originally Posted by Diesel8 View Post
They have already done that. There are some certificates that have been merged. And they already have a global seniority list, which they don't using normal aviation SOP's really adhere to. Wheels Up Private Jets is DPJ & TMC. The others have different names. That has been a fate accompli for some time now, so that is not a news flash.
It may be a news flash for some outside the organization. That’s why I mentioned it.
Old 05-11-2021, 10:29 AM
New Hire

Joined APC: Sep 2020

Originally Posted by B727DRVR View Post
Wow! That is really counterintuitive at a time airline hiring is starting to heat back up and qualified pilots are getting harder to find and keep, and they choose now to make negative changes like that and with the insurance. Sounds like it's time for the long rumored and whispered WUPA....
That was not the first negative change, the hits just keep coming “thank you sir may I have another”. Gama lost the free health insurance. Accrued sick leave is replaced with PTO and you can only carry over so many days and must have pre approval to use, but in theory you can shorten a tour if you have a wedding or an event you would like to attend( as long as it’s not in the middle of the tour) . Guys that have been here for 5+ years finally received a second vacation period. Crew rest is a paper drill, it does not consider base assignment or circadian rhythms, you can be on the front side of the clock for 6 days, get min rest and then fly across 4 time zones to the west coast on a late departure for day 7, and then back east on day 8, your only recourse is to call fatigue but you know you will be screwing someone else. Meals are the cause of great controversy among the pilot group, legs are scheduled without regard to crew nourishment and you must fight to take a moment to be human. With that being said people still stay because the promise of something big is coming soon, that seems to be the new party line. With that being said I know where the door is and no matter how we feel about conditions it is still a privilege for pay to work at WUP, it is not a God given right.
Old 05-11-2021, 11:02 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2008
Position: Standing in front of the tank with a shopping bag
Cool I'd hang in there for a while..

Originally Posted by Blkhwkdrvr View Post
That was not the first negative change, the hits just keep coming “thank you sir may I have another”. Gama lost the free health insurance. Accrued sick leave is replaced with PTO and you can only carry over so many days and must have pre approval to use, but in theory you can shorten a tour if you have a wedding or an event you would like to attend( as long as it’s not in the middle of the tour) . Guys that have been here for 5+ years finally received a second vacation period. Crew rest is a paper drill, it does not consider base assignment or circadian rhythms, you can be on the front side of the clock for 6 days, get min rest and then fly across 4 time zones to the west coast on a late departure for day 7, and then back east on day 8, your only recourse is to call fatigue but you know you will be screwing someone else. Meals are the cause of great controversy among the pilot group, legs are scheduled without regard to crew nourishment and you must fight to take a moment to be human. With that being said people still stay because the promise of something big is coming soon, that seems to be the new party line. With that being said I know where the door is and no matter how we feel about conditions it is still a privilege for pay to work at WUP, it is not a God given right.
I'd hang in there for a while then.. Back in 2002, Netjets was not a great place to work, but look at them now. You have a great bunch of pilots and personalities spread between your 4 groups; No telling where you all could be in a few years. I know pilots that left UPS, Southwest, and Netjets in the early 2000's for "greener pastures" and most of them regret it.
Old 05-11-2021, 11:05 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Oct 2018

I'd hang in there for a while then.. Back in 2002, Netjets was not a great place to work, but look at them now. You have a great bunch of pilots and personalities spread between your 4 groups; No telling where you all could be in a few years. I know pilots that left UPS, Southwest, and Netjets in the early 2000's for "greener pastures" and most of them regret it.

****, now if I ever think about leaving I’m gonna think about this post and second guess myself because this is a good point lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-11-2021, 11:19 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2010

Back in 2002, Netjets was not a great place to work, but look at them now.
You're a positive dude and I can appreciate that, but 2002 was almost 20 years ago man! That's a long time to wait.

EDIT: was just giving 727drver some good natured ribbing but his point isn't necessarily wrong. Hope all you guys at Wheels Up see improvement soon. Things seem to be swinging in a positive direction on the 121 side so maybe staffing pressure will force some changes.

Last edited by biigD; 05-11-2021 at 11:37 AM.
Old 05-18-2021, 05:22 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jul 2017
Position: King Air 350 Captain

Can someone give me the short version of the differences between the WU certificates.

If you take a job as an FO on the 350i under gamma can you move up into the other fleet types at some point?

Are there even other fleet types on the Gamma Certificate?

Are the seniority lists from Gamma, DPJ, and Mountain merged or separate and is there travel between types?

I'm sure this has all been answered on here before but a search isn't getting anywhere conclusive and I kind of need a quick summary.
Old 05-18-2021, 05:25 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Oct 2018

Originally Posted by WinggedHussars View Post
Can someone give me the short version of the differences between the WU certificates.

If you take a job as an FO on the 350i under gamma can you move up into the other fleet types at some point?

Are there even other fleet types on the Gamma Certificate?

Are the seniority lists from Gamma, DPJ, and Mountain merged or separate and is there travel between types?

I'm sure this has all been answered on here before but a search isn't getting anywhere conclusive and I kind of need a quick summary.

1) yes, all based on your seniority now when you bid for a vacancy
2) on the Gama cert specifically there’s the KA, excel, and X. But you can move between all of the Wheels up companies (DPJ, TMC, mountain etc)
3) currently seniority list is combined between all but mountain, they’ll be integrated soon as well. Travel between types? Not sure what you mean

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk