Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Wheels Up Operators (Gama, DPJ, TMC)

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2020, 05:18 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Apr 2020

Originally Posted by jbeauv View Post
Flew 4 legs Thursday, two of them brand new customers, WUP rep showed up for one and told us that WUP did 90 flights The day before. They do not have enough crews now to cover AOG’s.
Sorry for needing some explanation but correct me if i'm wrong... from what I am seeing is WUP offered 8/13 instead of the 8/6 as things slowed down. Did DPJ do the same thing or has everyone at DPJ been keeping their normal schedule? I ask this because I was recently hired on to DPJ and really looking forward to getting started there, but with the COVID turndown I completely understand if I have to wait awhile. Just trying to get a figure if I need to be looking for crews to go back to full strength before they bring newhires in for training, or if they are already at full strength and are awaiting on bringing newhires in due to government restrictions with the amount of people in one location? The person I spoke with was unable to give me a timeframe when training might start. Thanks!
Old 05-23-2020, 05:27 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2016

Originally Posted by UndrPar View Post
Sorry for needing some explanation but correct me if i'm wrong... from what I am seeing is WUP offered 8/13 instead of the 8/6 as things slowed down. Did DPJ do the same thing or has everyone at DPJ been keeping their normal schedule? I ask this because I was recently hired on to DPJ and really looking forward to getting started there, but with the COVID turndown I completely understand if I have to wait awhile. Just trying to get a figure if I need to be looking for crews to go back to full strength before they bring newhires in for training, or if they are already at full strength and are awaiting on bringing newhires in due to government restrictions with the amount of people in one location? The person I spoke with was unable to give me a timeframe when training might start. Thanks!
Gama, DPJ, TMC were all on the same conference call, so I would say yes same schedules
Old 05-23-2020, 09:59 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2014

DPJ went from a 8/6 to either a 8/13, 8/20, or a 120 day LOA. No one to my knowledge is on a 8/6 schedule. Don't know the state of the trips, or how busy they are. Did two 8/13's. One trip was quite busy, the other was not.
Old 05-24-2020, 03:49 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Apr 2020

Originally Posted by jbeauv View Post
Gama, DPJ, TMC were all on the same conference call, so I would say yes same schedules
Originally Posted by Diesel8 View Post
DPJ went from a 8/6 to either a 8/13, 8/20, or a 120 day LOA. No one to my knowledge is on a 8/6 schedule. Don't know the state of the trips, or how busy they are. Did two 8/13's. One trip was quite busy, the other was not.
Thanks! So safe to say new hire training for DPJ won't be starting for a while then with people out on LOA and on reduced trips. I appreciate the info!
Old 05-26-2020, 09:59 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Mar 2020
Default All crew call

interested to hear what tomorrows call has to offer
Old 05-27-2020, 09:19 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jun 2017

I guess there was a call today. Any bullet points to share?
Old 05-27-2020, 09:24 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2018

Originally Posted by MikeBates View Post
Still selling lots of memberships/renewals at roughly the same rate as the last couple months.

Demand slowly, steadily returning. But did not offer any numbers to back that up.

They made a comment that seemed to indicate that we were using our "safety vetted partners" a bunch right now. I had a hard time understanding that part of the call, but it left me wondering if we are farming out flights above our reduced capacity to a third party instead of bringing our own crews back.

Update on the crew integration process, but they didn't really offer any details on the call other than announcing the panel lead for each company.

Still working on CARES act loans.
Old 05-27-2020, 12:24 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2014

"safety vetted partners"
This phrase was used in a thread running on the Fractional Board.

the safety-vetted XO Preferred Operator Network grants access to 2,100+ aircraft worldwide, covering the full spectrum of cabin classes.
Interesting. Maybe a bit of quid pro quo using aircraft that are either in position or closer to a departure point?
Old 05-27-2020, 09:33 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by Diesel8 View Post
This phrase was used in a thread running on the Fractional Board.

Interesting. Maybe a bit of quid pro quo using aircraft that are either in position or closer to a departure point?
I saw the XO article and noticed the same use of the term. However, as far as I know XO and WUP do not utilize each other. WUP historically uses what I would loosely call "smaller" operators, like Mountain Aviation and FlyExclusive, as supplemental lift when demand surpasses availability or a member wants a different class or type of aircraft for a specific purpose.

Trust me, it has nothing to do with closer to departure point! I need at least two hands to count the long range repositions to places that other operators had to have closer planes available.
Old 05-28-2020, 07:06 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by MikeBates View Post
One more to add. They made it a point to tell everyone that the members are aware of the COVID response procedures and that they are complaining to WUP when the crews are not following them. They were specific that they have received complaints about crews not wearing masks or taking precautions such as covering coughs.

I'm not looking to start a debate about the effectiveness of masks. It doesn't really matter because the company has mandated that masks are worn around members. Just treat it like a part of your uniform and wear the mask they provided! If it makes our members feel better and more likely to fly, seems like a small sacrifice to make to get back to work. If you don't want to wear it in the Uber or at the hotel, I don't think they could care less. But let's all play along when passengers are around so we can try to get back to "normal".