Go Back  Airline Pilot Central Forums > Airline Pilot Forums > Part 135
800 hours open any doors in the 135 world? >

800 hours open any doors in the 135 world?

Search
Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

800 hours open any doors in the 135 world?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2020, 10:01 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2011
Position: Any

Originally Posted by TommyDevito View Post
So how does an Instructor under Part 135 that doesn't meet Part 135 IFR mins qualify under 14 CFR Part 135.338?

And where is it written that an instructor under Part 135 is required to hold a flight instructor certificate?
He isn't qualified under 135.338. He is ONLY an instructor and only flies on Part 91, non-revenue training flights. Part 135 doesn't require a CFI to be a training captain. But if we are hiring lower time guys to instruct right off the bat, WE want them to have their CFII and MEI.
Old 03-23-2020, 11:31 PM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Dec 2018
Position: FO 75/767

Originally Posted by Bearhawk23 View Post
Unfortunately I just broke the 800 mark so not even close to ifr minimums. But I do have my II but no Mei.

Dang I really hope that wouldn’t be the case. I’m hoping this will blow over sooner rather than later
I absolutely hate to be a downer on here, we are all hoping that this blows over quickly but, unfortunately the fallout from this will take years to recover from.

Two regionals are closing their doors in just a few days. If this continues for even another month, you can bet there will be at least a couple more shutting down. All mainlines are in a hiring freeze. They are all parking 25%-50% of their fleets, in which many of those planes aren’t returning for awhile even once the economy starts to recover. Most of the reputable 135 charter operators have also froze hiring. Once the economy starts to rebound, things will get better, however it’s going to be 3-5 years if not longer before things return to the way they were just two weeks ago. This is so sad for so many people, and as someone who’s been flying for 27 years, it breaks my heart for so many people.

So, I wish you all the very best, I really do. I was furloughed for 10 months back in 08, so I feel for all of our brothers and sisters in this industry. My best advice would be for you to continue your search, remain flexible as you seem to be in your post, and above all take care of yourself and family through this. Best wishes.
Old 03-24-2020, 04:36 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2015

Aside from the usual ravn, grant, ace, bering air I haven't really found to many other places to look into... But if you have some more info I would love to hear about it!

FYI to anyone else... I do have my MEL and 27 hours multi just didn't bother to get my MEI since I knew I wouldn't put it to use.
Better get that MEI then, it is useful rather of you use or not. More checkboxes checked.
Old 03-24-2020, 04:40 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2017

Originally Posted by frmrbuffdrvr View Post
He isn't qualified under 135.338. He is ONLY an instructor and only flies on Part 91, non-revenue training flights. Part 135 doesn't require a CFI to be a training captain. But if we are hiring lower time guys to instruct right off the bat, WE want them to have their CFII and MEI.
So how does a part 91 flight instructor do training for someone that's required under Part 135?

IOW, during initial or recurrent, the pilot is required x amount of aircraft training IAW the training manual. How does the Part 91 instructor sign off the required training?
Old 03-24-2020, 04:43 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2015

So how does a part 91 flight instructor do training for someone that's required under Part 135?

IOW, during initial or recurrent, the pilot is required x amount of aircraft training IAW the training manual. How does the Part 91 instructor sign off the required training?
Ameriflight probably has an OPSpec for their instructor quals
Old 03-24-2020, 04:58 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by Swakid8 View Post
Ameriflight probably has an OPSpec for their instructor quals
No they don't. An OpSpec can't give relief of a regulation, especially concerning training. 135.338 is clear. An Instructor on a Part 135 certificate must meet the minimum quals of, in this instance, Part 135 IFR in order for him to give training and sign the FAA approved training forms. An Instructor is required to be line qualified.
Old 03-24-2020, 11:30 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2011
Position: Any

No they don't. An OpSpec can't give relief of a regulation, especially concerning training. 135.338 is clear. An Instructor on a Part 135 certificate must meet the minimum quals of, in this instance, Part 135 IFR in order for him to give training and sign the FAA approved training forms. An Instructor is required to be line qualified.
I may be reading this wrong,

135.338(b) No certificate holder may use a person, nor may any person serve as a flight instructor (aircraft) in a training program established under this subpart unless, with respect to the type, class, or category aircraft involved, that person—

(1) Holds the airman certificates and ratings required to serve as a pilot in command in operations under this part;

(2) Has satisfactorily completed the training phases for the aircraft, including recurrent training, that are required to serve as a pilot in command in operations under this part;

(3) Has satisfactorily completed the proficiency or competency checks that are required to serve as a pilot in command in operations under this part;

(4) Has satisfactorily completed the applicable training requirements of §135.340;

(5) Holds at least a Class III medical certificate; and

(6) Has satisfied the recency of experience requirements of §135.247.

It says the instructor must hold the ratings and be checked to the standards. It does not say he/she must meet the time requirements to actually FLY a 135 revenue flight.

In addition, he must only hold a Class III medical when a Class II is required for 135 domestic cargo operations.
Old 03-24-2020, 11:58 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by frmrbuffdrvr View Post
I may be reading this wrong,

135.338(b) No certificate holder may use a person, nor may any person serve as a flight instructor (aircraft) in a training program established under this subpart unless, with respect to the type, class, or category aircraft involved, that person—

(1) Holds the airman certificates and ratings required to serve as a pilot in command in operations under this part;

(2) Has satisfactorily completed the training phases for the aircraft, including recurrent training, that are required to serve as a pilot in command in operations under this part;

(3) Has satisfactorily completed the proficiency or competency checks that are required to serve as a pilot in command in operations under this part;

(4) Has satisfactorily completed the applicable training requirements of §135.340;

(5) Holds at least a Class III medical certificate; and

(6) Has satisfied the recency of experience requirements of §135.247.

It says the instructor must hold the ratings and be checked to the standards. It does not say he/she must meet the time requirements to actually FLY a 135 revenue flight.

In addition, he must only hold a Class III medical when a Class II is required for 135 domestic cargo operations.
Go to your FAA Approved Training Manual, where it addresses the requirements to be a Flight Instructor. It will mirror 14 CFR Part 135.338.

Then, look at this part (3) Has satisfactorily completed the proficiency or competency checks that are required to serve as a pilot in command in operations under this part;

So how can a pilot complete a 14 CFR Part 135,293/.297 check when he doesn't meet the requirements of 14 CFR Part 135.243? An ASI or a Check Airman is forbidden to give a check ride to anyone who does not meet the minimum requirements.

Then when we look into FAA Order 8900.1, Vol 3, Chapter 20, Sec 5

3-20-5-15 AIR TRANSPORTATION FLIGHT INSTRUCTORS. An air transportation flight instructor (aircraft) may conduct flight training in aircraft or a flight simulation training device (FSTD). An air transportation flight instructor (simulator) may conduct flight training only in an FSTD.

A. Qualifications and Training. For initial and continuing authorization as a flight instructor (aircraft or simulator), an airman must meet the qualification and training requirements found in §§ 135.338 and 135.340 as applicable to the instructor functions requested.

B. Authorized Activities. An air transportation flight instructor (aircraft or simulator), when authorized by the certificate holder, may conduct the following flight instruction activities when properly trained for the function. Instructors may provide:

1) Flight instruction in the certificate holder’s approved training program.
2) Certification of the satisfactory proficiency and knowledge of flightcrew members after completion of a flight training curriculum segment or flight training module.
The "qualification requirements" are found in 14 CFR Part 135.293/.297/.299 as well as 8900.1, Vol 3, Ch 19, Sec 7, as well as in the operator's FAA Approved Training Manual.

The FAA does not allow non certified personnel or entities to conduct training on an Air Carrier certificate, period. An Air Carrier cannot hire a flight instructor off the street and put them to work teaching without meeting a certification standard.

As for a medical, you are correct that a third class is all that is required to take a check ride. However the individual cannot exercise the privileged of the medical without at least a second class. Since flight instructors aren't exercising the privileged of 14 CFR Part 135.293/.297/.299, a third class will suffice.
Old 03-29-2020, 05:41 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2011
Position: Corporate Jet Captain

Hi All,

I’ve been a CFI for the past year and with the recent outbreak my school has slowed way way down! So now wondering if maybe this might be time to start looking at some new doors.

Would love just some leads I can reach out too. Here is where I have tried so far. Alaska bush carriers( Ravn, Grant, Ace), Ameriflight, boutique, and JSX.

Would love to hear about survey companies, pipeline, Alaska operators, cargo, anything! Willing to relocate! Would prefer no training contract if possible! Really appreciate the help and stay safe out there!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The company I work for that operates everything from BBJ, Gulfstream, Falcon, Citation etc is one of the best paying Part 135 companies in the US and we could hardly get a qualified resumes. In the last 7 days we have received over a 1000 and many of which are current and qualified.

NEWS FLASH.....The pilot shortage is done and it is 2001 again except without the massive airline layoffs so far. That part may not happen with the bail out money but we will have to see. This virus is only getting worse even in lockdown. Keep in mind in 2001 the airspace was only closed 6 days and that took 12 years to recover from. Goes to show how vulnerable our economy is. This has only been going on for several weeks.
Old 03-29-2020, 10:06 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2011

Originally Posted by OnTheRun View Post
NEWS FLASH.....The pilot shortage is done and it is 2001 again except without the massive airline layoffs so far. That part may not happen with the bail out money but we will have to see. This virus is only getting worse even in lockdown. Keep in mind in 2001 the airspace was only closed 6 days and that took 12 years to recover from. Goes to show how vulnerable our economy is. This has only been going on for several weeks.
To be fair that 12 year period was also exacerbated by age 65 and the 2008 financial melt down. 9/11 and the airspace shutdown was only part of it.

I will agree the pilot shortage is over for now, which utterly sucks for some of us. I don’t think this is going to be a 10 year problem again, but the next year or two may suck.