Go Back  Airline Pilot Central Forums > Airline Pilot Forums > Part 135
800 hours open any doors in the 135 world? >

800 hours open any doors in the 135 world?

Search
Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

800 hours open any doors in the 135 world?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2020, 11:16 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2013

Originally Posted by kaputt View Post
To be fair that 12 year period was also exacerbated by age 65 and the 2008 financial melt down. 9/11 and the airspace shutdown was only part of it.

I will agree the pilot shortage is over for now, which utterly sucks for some of us. I don’t think this is going to be a 10 year problem again, but the next year or two may suck.
True this is going to bring the industry to a grinding halt and it may take several years to fully recover. But, in the meantime hundreds of 65 year olds will retire every month and less people will be able to afford the huge expenses associated with flight training.
Both of these factors will collide to produce an even bigger shortage than the one we were just about to witness, when the economy recovers.
Short term the future Is bleak. Long term there will be lots of opportunity for those that hang in there.
Old 03-29-2020, 11:25 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2017

Originally Posted by Das Auto View Post
True this is going to bring the industry to a grinding halt and it may take several years to fully recover. But, in the meantime hundreds of 65 year olds will retire every month and less people will be able to afford the huge expenses associated with flight training.
Both of these factors will collide to produce an even bigger shortage than the one we were just about to witness, when the economy recovers.
Short term the future Is bleak. Long term there will be lots of opportunity for those that hang in there.
Most positive thing I have read on here this week. I am just hitting ATP minimums preparing for a career change. If this happened 2 months later I might have really been screwed. My current career is stable and I am still working......just going to be here 2-3 years longer than I thought.
Old 03-29-2020, 12:08 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2013

Originally Posted by VegasChris View Post
Most positive thing I have read on here this week. I am just hitting ATP minimums preparing for a career change. If this happened 2 months later I might have really been screwed. My current career is stable and I am still working......just going to be here 2-3 years longer than I thought.
Hang in there. Ride the waves and roll with the punches. A couple of years from now you’ll be glad you did.
Old 03-30-2020, 11:58 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2008
Position: 747 Captain (Ret,)

Originally Posted by TommyDevito View Post
Go to your FAA Approved Training Manual, where it addresses the requirements to be a Flight Instructor. It will mirror 14 CFR Part 135.338.

Then, look at this part (3) Has satisfactorily completed the proficiency or competency checks that are required to serve as a pilot in command in operations under this part;

So how can a pilot complete a 14 CFR Part 135,293/.297 check when he doesn't meet the requirements of 14 CFR Part 135.243? An ASI or a Check Airman is forbidden to give a check ride to anyone who does not meet the minimum requirements.

Then when we look into FAA Order 8900.1, Vol 3, Chapter 20, Sec 5

3-20-5-15 AIR TRANSPORTATION FLIGHT INSTRUCTORS. An air transportation flight instructor (aircraft) may conduct flight training in aircraft or a flight simulation training device (FSTD). An air transportation flight instructor (simulator) may conduct flight training only in an FSTD.

A. Qualifications and Training. For initial and continuing authorization as a flight instructor (aircraft or simulator), an airman must meet the qualification and training requirements found in §§ 135.338 and 135.340 as applicable to the instructor functions requested.

B. Authorized Activities. An air transportation flight instructor (aircraft or simulator), when authorized by the certificate holder, may conduct the following flight instruction activities when properly trained for the function. Instructors may provide:

1) Flight instruction in the certificate holder’s approved training program.
2) Certification of the satisfactory proficiency and knowledge of flightcrew members after completion of a flight training curriculum segment or flight training module.
The "qualification requirements" are found in 14 CFR Part 135.293/.297/.299 as well as 8900.1, Vol 3, Ch 19, Sec 7, as well as in the operator's FAA Approved Training Manual.

The FAA does not allow non certified personnel or entities to conduct training on an Air Carrier certificate, period. An Air Carrier cannot hire a flight instructor off the street and put them to work teaching without meeting a certification standard.

As for a medical, you are correct that a third class is all that is required to take a check ride. However the individual cannot exercise the privileged of the medical without at least a second class. Since flight instructors aren't exercising the privileged of 14 CFR Part 135.293/.297/.299, a third class will suffice.
Hi Tommy.

I have no doubt that you are correct. However, that does not mean that Ameriflight would not have missed the small print and hired these people without the minimums.

Never ascribe to malice what can equally be explained by incompetence or ignorance.

Joe
Old 04-01-2020, 05:15 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2018

Originally Posted by joepilot View Post
Hi Tommy.

I have no doubt that you are correct. However, that does not mean that Ameriflight would not have missed the small print and hired these people without the minimums.

Never ascribe to malice what can equally be explained by incompetence or ignorance.

Joe
To be fair, it's possible the local FSDO might have erroneously given them relief in some interpretation, too. And if that's the case, it will probably be quickly rescinded once it's pointed out...and lead to a lot of retraining.