Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Part 135 Outlook

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2020, 05:39 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2016

Originally Posted by Das Auto View Post
Update to reality. The major 135 operators are hanging in there. The smaller ones are fighting for survival, some in vain. The major airlines are about to furlough thousands. Those that left said major 135 carriers to go to said airlines are calling and asking for their old jobs back. Those that left in good standing are first on the list for re hire if and when any hiring were to happen.
Everyone else might as well buy a lottery ticket.
Sorry to sound negative but with all the B.S. head in the sand mentality being preached lately, a dose of reality is needed.
Wow. So people who had moved on to the airlines will get hired before those who were still flying for the 135 operater? So you have a de facto flowback like they were discussing in the regional section. Industry has become a free for all for sure.
Old 05-15-2020, 06:43 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Dec 2019

That's not what he stated.
He stated that if/when 135's begin to hire; the folks that left said companies in good standing will probably be given preference over brand new hires (i.e. current employees will not be displaced to make room for previous employees)
Old 05-15-2020, 07:27 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2014

Originally Posted by GoneMissed View Post
He stated that if/when 135's begin to hire; the folks that left said companies in good standing will probably be given preference over brand new hires (i.e. current employees will not be displaced to make room for previous employees)
And that's how it will happen if and when the 135 I work for starts to hire again. Former company pilots go to the head of the line if they left in good standing. So stated by our DO.
Old 05-15-2020, 07:43 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2016

Got it thanks. Glad I have that engineering degree/work experience. Maybe I can get a job designing the new LRSO. The ultimate UAV. To paraphrase Carrot Top's statement on bungee jumping "cruise missile, all the thrill of being a kamikaze without the commitment."
Old 05-16-2020, 12:09 AM
New Hire

Joined APC: Sep 2016
Position: Jetstream 3100/Right Seat/FO

Originally Posted by Sanguy View Post
And that's how it will happen if and when the 135 I work for starts to hire again. Former company pilots go to the head of the line if they left in good standing. So stated by our DO.
Unfortunately at my company that I was furloughed from, they plan to hire new people off the street and have started to advertise. That all came after being reassured one morning we would not be laid off, or course by 4 PM that afternoon, we were furloughed. I am ready to give up on aviation.
Old 05-16-2020, 04:23 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Mar 2018

Bump.

Any new updates?
My flight school (which has been around for 30 years) closed their doors this past week...so far for good.....couldn't keep up with leasing bills, so the company took away our planes. There goes my pat time flying over the last 6 years. Hopefully the owner can find someone interested in leasing back several airplanes.
Old 05-16-2020, 10:47 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Dec 2019

Originally Posted by cfichad49 View Post
Unfortunately at my company that I was furloughed from, they plan to hire new people off the street and have started to advertise. That all came after being reassured one morning we would not be laid off, or course by 4 PM that afternoon, we were furloughed. I am ready to give up on aviation.
What?
Can you provide more info?
You sure the advertised jobs were not pre Covid and HR just forgot to remove the listings?
Old 05-16-2020, 05:19 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2008
Position: Standing in front of the tank with a shopping bag
Unhappy Which company? They should own it!

Which Company? You should make them own it........
Old 05-17-2020, 06:31 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2018

I wouldn't give up on aviation, I would give up on shady operators bending their employees and hollow promises. There ARE good 135 companies out there.
Old 05-17-2020, 06:01 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2008
Position: Standing in front of the tank with a shopping bag
Thumbs up I never thought I would agree with this, LOL.

Originally Posted by Crockrocket95 View Post
I wouldn't give up on aviation, I would give up on shady operators bending their employees and hollow promises. There ARE good 135 companies out there.
I agree with Rocket! I never thought that I would say this after my experience, and that of my friends, flying Part 135 in the mid to late 1990’s, but there are some good Part 135 operations these days. XOJET/VistaJet, the Wheels Up operators that are all getting on the same page with pay and benefits, Mountain Aviation, all come to mind. I am here at flyExclusive, and I am very impressed how the Company has handled this crisis, and am elated that we have made it thus far even acquiring more aircraft. I was already impressed over how well I have been personally treated during my stay here, and really feel like I might be a little more than just a number to them. You can tell a lot about any company when things turn South for you, them, or both, and so far, it has been heartening, with weekly video updates from our President on the status of our Company and the prospects for its survival and continued growth. I could see the stress on his face and hear in his voice his genuine concern for all the employees, not just the pilots during the videos, and he did a walking video tour of the new facilities at our HQ to let us know that work never stopped on it and to keep our heads up.

So, while you will never mistake your paycheck at any of the 135 carriers, for that of most 121 carriers, LCC’s and up (Until 2 months ago), or with a Netjets paycheck, you can have a pretty decent QOL here at the above mentioned 135 operators. Home Basing, no reserve, no jumpseating (although I was a JSC and loved jumpseating.. most didn’t), no junior manning, and no crashpads are some of the upside to Part 135 flying. So again to agree with Rocket, the term ‘decent 135 operator” used to be an oxymoron.. this is no longer the case!