Completion Rate of Booked Trips?

Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Completion Rate of Booked Trips?

Old 10-07-2023, 11:32 AM
XOJET Citation X

Joined APC: Mar 2005
Position: DO, Baker Aviation, Citation X
Default Completion Rate of Booked Trips?

A metric that is overlooked by pilots when it comes to judging the health of a company when researching for a solid place to work is what percentage of booked trips are cancelled due to AOG. Or what is the completion rate for the operator of booked trips?

A broker dreads the call from 135 sales saying,
135: “We’re AOG.”
Broker: :” Can you recover the trip with another company airplane?”
135: “Nope, see ya”

Now the broker has to scramble for an alternate plan.

NJ, FJ have the fleet to have a few spares spares standing by but most 135 operators don’t recover their own AOGs on a routine basis.

Yes, they try and it ripples to other trips not being covered but the completion rate gives a solid metric of the health of ops but of the all important health of maintenance anf priority placed on getting an airplane back in service.

My question to anyone is this, your best estimate of what your completion rate for scheduled trips by your company? 80%, 60%, <50%?

Brokers, love them or hate them, we couldn’t do what we love without them.

Making their jobs tougher with AOGs is part of what they do and is an expected part of being a broker.

How to win the loyalty of a broker? Safe, clean airplane, great customer service and.on time. AOGs with no recovery options for the broker forces them to start the process all over. Not good. Will the broker go somewhere else to look for more stable options? Brokers and 135 sales folks base their relationship on a lot of factors but that relationship can change if confidence drops if flights are not completed. Clients will look elsewhere for new brokers, it all rolls downhill

Pls chime in with your best guess or other thoughts on the subject. Asking this question on an interview might reveal info that could help you make a decision on whether that company is worthy of your interest.
Old 10-07-2023, 01:55 PM
Not home.

Joined APC: May 2018
Position: Captain

I highly doubt that 99% of 135 companies would actually tell you a truthful percentage, even if asked during the interview process.
That, or they actually don't know the number themselves.

As always, Chase, very interesting insight.
But with the state of the market, most 135s just wanna get you in the door, and get your butt in a seat.

I'm hopefully on my last 135 for a while, until I come fly for you down the road in a few years.