Search
Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Hit IFR Mins, Any Companies Hiring?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2020, 12:46 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jul 2018
Default Hit IFR Mins, Any Companies Hiring?

I just hit my IFR mins, 1200 hours and was wondering what if any companies may be hiring at the moment. I am currently working at an aerial survey company, but because of covid-19, there won't be a summer season this year, at least with this company. So, come mid May, will be out of work until the next season starts in October.

I understand that with covid, everything has been delayed/pushed back. I am still waiting to hear back from planesense, as they can't fly anyone out for the in-person interviews yet. I am ideally looking for a cargo operator, ameriflight, alpine, empire. Companies with feeders into UPS/Fedex, UPS preferred.

Any and all help/tips/suggestions are much appreciated! And I want to thank you guys ahead of time for everything!
Old 05-01-2020, 09:35 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2011
Position: Any

Originally Posted by egothrasher View Post
I just hit my IFR mins, 1200 hours and was wondering what if any companies may be hiring at the moment. I am currently working at an aerial survey company, but because of covid-19, there won't be a summer season this year, at least with this company. So, come mid May, will be out of work until the next season starts in October.

I understand that with covid, everything has been delayed/pushed back. I am still waiting to hear back from planesense, as they can't fly anyone out for the in-person interviews yet. I am ideally looking for a cargo operator, ameriflight, alpine, empire. Companies with feeders into UPS/Fedex, UPS preferred.

Any and all help/tips/suggestions are much appreciated! And I want to thank you guys ahead of time for everything!
Ameriflight is hiring. We had 19 pilots in the April indoc class and 12 for May, last time I checked. But I also know we have a LOT of applicants.

Here is the link to the application site.

https://w3.ameriflight.com/pilots/
Old 05-02-2020, 05:39 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2018

I’d imagine many companies are having a large amount of high timed guys applying but don’t let that discourage you. Many managers understand those pilots are there for a season if you can present the idea that you would stay at the company for awhile you have a decent chance of standing out. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-02-2020, 06:27 AM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Dec 2014
Position: Somehow seemingly suspended in time

Originally Posted by egothrasher View Post
I am currently working at an aerial survey company, but because of covid-19, there won't be a summer season this year, at least with this company.
I am trying to deduce the reason for closing a survey operation. Since there is minimal interaction with the traveling public, it seems that continuing a survey operation would be low-risk for virus spread. Maybe paying clients are unable to process the survey work due to their own adjustments to their work environment?
Old 05-02-2020, 06:36 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Mar 2017

Originally Posted by ratcht9 View Post
I am trying to deduce the reason for closing a survey operation. Since there is minimal interaction with the traveling public, it seems that continuing a survey operation would be low-risk for virus spread. Maybe paying clients are unable to process the survey work due to their own adjustments to their work environment?
Summer foliage covers the streets maybe?
Old 05-02-2020, 07:21 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2006
Position: A220 First Officer

Grant Aviation indicates they are hiring if you want to fly in Alaska. Profile was updated May 1st on here.
Old 05-03-2020, 05:38 AM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Jul 2017

If you're looking at Alaska flying, the economy up there is getting slammed between cancelled tourism and cheap oil. That said, the biggest 135/121 player in the state filed for a chapter 7 bankruptcy just a few days ago which means pretty much all the operators (Grant/Bering/Ace/Lake and Pen/Ryan etc) will be hiring to try to capture market share. Expect tough competition for those jobs from experienced locals. It is definitely worth applying.
Old 05-05-2020, 07:19 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2013

Originally Posted by UNDGUY View Post
Grant Aviation indicates they are hiring if you want to fly in Alaska. Profile was updated May 1st on here.
Grant just pulled a bunch of offers from pilots to give to AK lifers who were laid off from Ravn etc, I wouldnt think they will be hiring right now off the street.
Old 05-07-2020, 09:43 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jun 2019

Originally Posted by deftone View Post
Grant just pulled a bunch of offers from pilots to give to AK lifers who were laid off from Ravn etc, I wouldnt think they will be hiring right now off the street.
The talk from encountering other pilots on our last couple charters to anchorage was that the competition was extreme at all the 135s state wide. With all the raven pilots and all the tour pilots from Alaska applying it will definitely be tough to break in to Alaska.

I understand the reasoning behind pulling offers from out of state pilots, not being locally minded was part of Ravns problem.
Old 05-09-2020, 04:54 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jul 2018

Thank you guys for all the tips, it is much appreciated. I've applied to ameriflight, wiggins and many others. I have done the initial interview with planesense, it went well and just waiting on the inperson. I was told though that was put on hold because of the covid and flying people out.

I was in the process for the Border Patrol position, but found out that 80% of the flying would be with the MQ9, aka a drone. Something I was not interested in, as I want to be in the air, not on the ground flying.

Keeping my ear out and optimism high.