Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Piston 135 operators

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2020, 11:20 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2018
Position: recliner
Default Piston 135 operators

Retired cargo pilot down in Florida, wondering if and how viable piston 135 passenger and cargo operators still are? I got my start at RAF (now defunct) back in the day. Wondering if they are still in use very much any more? It seems companies like MAC, AMF, FLX/Airnet and Wiggins have grown and bought out many competitors, now flying t-props nationwide doing sub-service (to be honest I think MAC always had T-props). I heard bank checks went digital about 10 years ago. Are medical and radioactive samples still a thing?

Are there still any small mom and pops around? A good friend of mine up in Alaska got his start the same way also (doing fish runs I think?) Amazing all the changes in even the last 15 years.

Thanks.
Old 07-13-2020, 07:58 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2019

Originally Posted by Asiabound View Post
Retired cargo pilot down in Florida, wondering if and how viable piston 135 passenger and cargo operators still are? I got my start at RAF (now defunct) back in the day. Wondering if they are still in use very much any more? It seems companies like MAC, AMF, FLX/Airnet and Wiggins have grown and bought out many competitors, now flying t-props nationwide doing sub-service (to be honest I think MAC always had T-props). I heard bank checks went digital about 10 years ago. Are medical and radioactive samples still a thing?

Are there still any small mom and pops around? A good friend of mine up in Alaska got his start the same way also (doing fish runs I think?) Amazing all the changes in even the last 15 years.

Thanks.
As you mentioned, most of these operators now fly T-props. A few that I’m aware of are Cape air, and star marianas. Cape air flies Cessna 402’s and Tecnams. Both are piston twins. Cape flies primarily in the northeast, Billings, MT, and the Caribbean seasonally I believe. Star marianas flies single engine older piston planes in Rota/Saipan/Guam region doing short scenic flights. The only other piston type jobs outside of instruction that I’m aware of are pipeline patrol, Ariel photo/mapping, and skydive pilot.
Old 07-13-2020, 08:10 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2011

Someone like GTA Air out of Dallas still fly piston aircraft. Mostly medical and radioactive specimens. Have runs across the country.
GTA Air, Inc. - About - Fleet - GTA Air
Old 07-13-2020, 12:34 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2017

Originally Posted by starship View Post
Someone like GTA Air out of Dallas still fly piston aircraft. Mostly medical and radioactive specimens. Have runs across the country.
GTA Air, Inc. - About - Fleet - GTA Air
Even the medical and radioactive stuff have largely gone over to smaller turboprops like the pc-12, largely due to reliability and operating costs....the extra capabilities of the aircraft is just icing on the cake.
About 10-15 years ago many operators were dumping piston's pretty fast due to looming issues with fuel availability and skyrocketing parts costs on many light twins....
The fact the pilot shortage made it very hard to hire piston twin pilots for 5+ years when they could go straight to a be-99 or caravan sealed the fate of many piston airframes/operators.
not saying they aren't around, but much more on the margins of the industry than before with the exception of perhaps Capr-Air.
Old 07-14-2020, 06:43 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2016

There is a company called Central Air Southwest in Kansas City that kind of fits the bill for what you are talking about. They fly medical samples in Aero Commanders (pistons), They pay peanuts and have a 6 month training contract. The good thing about their routes, is you fly there and back every night. They have routes in many Southern states. This company probably trains the greatest number of sub 25 hour multi pilots in the USA.

Bimidji Aviation in Minnesota is a UPS feeder that flies mainly Queen Airs. You have to sign a 1 year training contract to work for them though.
Old 07-14-2020, 06:51 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2006
Position: B-737NG preferably in first class with a glass of champagne and caviar

Thanks.
Here’s one........

6EB98A19-BB99-4D79-9BDA-D7D2CB8A6FF5.jpg
Old 07-14-2020, 07:21 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2006
Position: Dream Job

Thanks.
Quest Diagnostics still has a few barons I think. They fly medical samples.

Sent from my BTV-W09 using Tapatalk
Old 07-15-2020, 06:32 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2018
Position: recliner

Thanks for sharing, I didn't mention it but my niece is working on her Commercial and was trying to help her out. My info is pretty outdated, glad to see that side of the business is still profitable.

Last edited by Asiabound; 07-15-2020 at 06:45 PM.
Old 07-24-2020, 02:06 AM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Apr 2016

San Juan Airlines in NW Washington. Passengers and freight. C172s, C206s, C207s...
Old 07-29-2020, 05:36 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2016

Originally Posted by tlove482 View Post
Quest Diagnostics still has a few barons I think. They fly medical samples.

Sent from my BTV-W09 using Tapatalk

They are pretty selective, I don't think they are worth mentioning.