Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Passenger Occupancy of a Pilot Seat

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2020, 07:26 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2017

Originally Posted by PerfInit View Post
^^ This is advice from a Part 121 perspective, correct? The OP is asking about 135. The aircraft in question (BE-1900) does not have a “jumpseat” in the context of 121.581. The BE-1900 is not a transport category aircraft and no FSB Report exists therefore no “jumpseat” has been evaluated. The 1900, type certificated for (1) pilot, may have a right hand pilot seat installed however. One question that the OP should ask his CP is, Would said company’s insurance Policy cover the company in the event of an accident where the “extra occupant” was present?
The 1900 has an FSB Report. AMF has jumpseaters in the 1900, another 135 as well.

This is all I could find.

n of Specific Compliance Items.
10.2.1 BE-1900 Observer Seat. The BE-1900 aircraft do not have a dedicated Forward Observer Seat in original type design. The left forward passenger seat in a 19 passenger seat configuration complies with the observer seat requirements of 14 CFR §121.581 and §135.75 by utilizing the most forward passenger seat, passenger oxygen mask with the addition of audio capability at the seat location. This most forward passenger seat location is adequate for Enroute Inspection and Line Checks per 14 CFR §121.440 and §135.299. The completion of Proficiency Checks or Pilot Type Rating Practical Tests may require additional equipage. For Single Pilot evaluations, the right pilot seat is an available observer seat.

https://fsims.faa.gov/wdocs/fsb/be-1900%20rev%205.pdf

Maybe this person is the Chief Pilot? Or maybe the CP asked them to look into this, because the POI isn’t in the loop? I’m guessing the hurdle is not insurance.....
Old 09-08-2020, 07:33 PM
Standing in the breadline

Joined APC: Jun 2017
Position: Left seat

Your problem is the word passenger, a jumpseater is not a passenger, a jumpseater is an Additional Crewmember (ACM). As an all cargo carrier, you can’t ever fly passengers, and you’ll never see an ACM referred to as a pax. Ask yourself, could a fellow company pilot jumpseating on your aircraft occupy a pilot seat? What if that fellow company pilot wasn’t a crewmember on your fleet, say a Beech 99 pilot jumping on your 1900, would he be able to occupy a pilot seat so long as they didn’t touch the flight controls? Alternatively, can an ACM have consumed alcohol in the previous 8 hours before jumpseating? Note that a pax could, but a jumpseater cannot, as they are a legal crewmember onboard a flight. I can’t answer your question unless I knew you and I worked for the same operator, but I hope I can lead a freight dog to water.
Old 09-08-2020, 09:10 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2013

Originally Posted by PerfInit View Post
^^ This is advice from a Part 121 perspective, correct? The OP is asking about 135. The aircraft in question (BE-1900) does not have a “jumpseat” in the context of 121.581. The BE-1900 is not a transport category aircraft and no FSB Report exists therefore no “jumpseat” has been evaluated. The 1900, type certificated for (1) pilot, may have a right hand pilot seat installed however. One question that the OP should ask his CP is, Would said company’s insurance Policy cover the company in the event of an accident where the “extra occupant” was present?
If this question was aimed at my comment, no we didn’t have a 121 cert at the time. However, even the metro freighters had a 3rd seat installed right inside the door, behind the cockpit bulkhead.
Old 09-09-2020, 07:50 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jul 2018

Originally Posted by BlueJacketGuy View Post
Your problem is the word passenger, a jumpseater is not a passenger, a jumpseater is an Additional Crewmember (ACM). As an all cargo carrier, you can’t ever fly passengers, and you’ll never see an ACM referred to as a pax. Ask yourself, could a fellow company pilot jumpseating on your aircraft occupy a pilot seat? What if that fellow company pilot wasn’t a crewmember on your fleet, say a Beech 99 pilot jumping on your 1900, would he be able to occupy a pilot seat so long as they didn’t touch the flight controls? Alternatively, can an ACM have consumed alcohol in the previous 8 hours before jumpseating? Note that a pax could, but a jumpseater cannot, as they are a legal crewmember onboard a flight. I can’t answer your question unless I knew you and I worked for the same operator, but I hope I can lead a freight dog to water.
Thank you! This is very helpful and makes more sense with what we have established already. Our Weight and Balance manifests have a spot for an ACM to be factored in, thus designating them as different from the primary crew of Captain and FO. I figured a jumpseater did not count as a passenger but was having trouble finding a clear wording on that. We have 99 pilots ride on the 1900s fairly often and like you said they are not typed in that aircraft but still get put down as an ACM. I would assume the same rules apply to a 737 pilot from UA riding on our 1900. Thanks again!
Old 09-09-2020, 07:57 AM
Line Holder

Originally Posted by EMAW View Post
If this question was aimed at my comment, no we didn’t have a 121 cert at the time. However, even the metro freighters had a 3rd seat installed right inside the door, behind the cockpit bulkhead.
Did those metro freighters have autopilots?

Thanks!
Old 09-09-2020, 09:05 AM
Standing in the breadline

Joined APC: Jun 2017
Position: Left seat

I’m making another assumption here, but the spot on W&B for the ACM is for if the optionally installed seat is being used for a jumpseater, this seat would be located inline with the front cabin door. My company has this seat installed on our 1900s, and we can have 2 jumpseaters at the same time. Jumpseat bay on a UB, Zone 1 on a UC.
Old 09-09-2020, 10:00 AM
Line Holder

Originally Posted by BlueJacketGuy View Post
I’m making another assumption here, but the spot on W&B for the ACM is for if the optionally installed seat is being used for a jumpseater, this seat would be located inline with the front cabin door. My company has this seat installed on our 1900s, and we can have 2 jumpseaters at the same time. Jumpseat bay on a UB, Zone 1 on a UC.
You are correct.
Old 09-09-2020, 01:55 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2013

Originally Posted by tanker95 View Post
Did those metro freighters have autopilots?

Thanks!
Yeah. They sat in the left seat and talked to themselves. 😂

Nope, none installed on any metro in the fleet.